So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm

Have started looking at flight prices, but those with good connections are much pricier than expected ($2400 vs $1800) :cry:

This makes the budget a tad tight, but also, the unknown is the route and as it went anti-clockwise this year, it, following tradition, will go clockwise, so the trip will probably need to end up at the Pyrenees rather than the Alps. This will affect where we fly in and out of, so have decided to wait and see what the route announcement brings.

Hopefully then, the prices stay sensible .....

Scott2468
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 am

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby Scott2468 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:Have started looking at flight prices, but those with good connections are much pricier than expected ($2400 vs $1800) :cry:

This makes the budget a tad tight, but also, the unknown is the route and as it went anti-clockwise this year, it, following tradition, will go clockwise, so the trip will probably need to end up at the Pyrenees rather than the Alps. This will affect where we fly in and out of, so have decided to wait and see what the route announcement brings.

Hopefully then, the prices stay sensible .....


Assuming you are taking your bike, Qantas/Emirates had the best size & weight restrictions when travelling economy. It was a year ago that I looked at this. No idea what has changed since then.

With a 30kg checked limit with a practical size limit that allowed bike box sizes (unless it is rediculously oversized) and 7kg hand luggage you can easily meet. Your boxed bike with helmet, shoes & bulky clothes & towels (for protection padding) will weigh about 20 kg. This leaves 17 kg for your personal stuff. Easy. While on luggage, a floor pump is a blessing. Be organised when you dismantle your bike, ensuring you keep each tool used aside, so they can be packed together and not forgotten. Work out with your mates who takes what.

Another tip if you are using a cardboard bike box. Go to Bunnings and find an employee unpacking boxed items from a pallet. They strap with the normal nylon straps but they use simple metal clips (not the crimped clamps). These are perfect for you to pull as tight as you can, then undo and re-use. Smile, be friendly, tell them of your trip and they will give you their rubbish. Just ensure they cut the straps plenty long enough for your box. Don't trim the straps short as you need tags to hand pull tight. Get four or five for total security. Your lazy unprepared mates will also bludge them. They are much better than anything you can buy and they do a much better job than gaffer tape etc as they pull everything in tight, snug & secure.
Image

Chris249
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby Chris249 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:02 pm

We just did Emirates and Emirates code share to Europe and back - it's still 30kg of checked baggage and bikes are still fine.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

User avatar
cyclotaur
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm

So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 am

30kg limit is a doddle. Just returning from 11 weeks in Europe with a 12.5kg checked bag and a carry-on backpack. That includes regular clothes, gear for day hiking in the French alps, some bike kit, helmet, and pedals/shoes for one week of riding including cold/wet gear I didn't need.

I find space is a bigger problem than weight as I hate large or bulky luggage.

Unless you have a critical preference for your own bike I would hire one over there. (Haven't read the whole thread...)

Have fun !
Last edited by cyclotaur on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:08 am

Chris249 wrote:We just did Emirates and Emirates code share to Europe and back - it's still 30kg of checked baggage and bikes are still fine.


Did they charge extra for the bike ?

What sort of bike box/case did you use ?

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:12 am

cyclotaur wrote: ...Unless you have a critical preference for your own bike I would hire one over there. (Haven't read the whole thread...)

Have fun !


Cost is more of an issue, so hiring one just adds cost. Also, starting is one place (Milan) and ending in another (Lyon) makes it a bit harder.

I guess the key reason is that I have a great bike that I am happy with (handling/fit/disc brakes) and I know works, so more than happy to use that. A bit of a PITA to take my own, but to save $600+, it's an easy decision. It costs enough as it is.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Only a few days till the route is officially released.

Seems like the Maurienne valley needs to be changed to somewhere closer to Geneva and/or Morzine. No drama, still plenty of good mountains and places to ride there.

Despite Arabba providing some stunning riding sites, it's in the opposite direction, so may need to change plans a bit.

1st world problems.

Plenty of great rides in Switzerland & Juras as well :D :D :D :D

sambo3
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby sambo3 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:29 pm

Firstly I'm so jealous. We went in 2014 see link for pics to my blog on the trip. (http://www.travelpod.com/members/glenn-sampson).
My wife does not cycle so I spent the early am cycling then we would meet for a snack and coffee somewhere at the base of my ride each day.
I spent a week in Annecy, a week in the Maurienne valley, a few days on the coast at Menton and then we headed to the Pyrenees for a week before finishing in Paris.
If the tour is anywhere around Annecy next year I can highly recommend it as a base. Some great climbs close by and the place is just so beautiful.
The bike path around the lake links you to many of the climbs and you can do round trips back to base linking a few climbs if you have the day free for cycling.
Enjoy I hope to be back in 2017

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Things have progressed again and ready to finally start booking things and committing to laying out of cash.

One item that I will need, and am seeking assistance (will also put in a wanted ad) is a bike bag/box to borrow for the three weeks in July next year.

As we are in Adelaide, unless it folds down into a jiffy bag, the request goes to Adelaide (or surrounding areas) residents only.

There would be appropriate compensation for anyone that could assist. Have read and printed the great article on Cycling tips, and so a cardboard box may also still work.

Flights are heading out 7th July and returning at end of July 2016 +/- a few days.

If anyone canm help, that would be fantastic. :D

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Well, things have progressed since last update.

Flights booked :)
Accom booked :D
Training still continuing :?

We (a mate and I) leave Adelaide on the 8th July (Fri evening) and fly into Milan at lunch the following day. Pick up the hire car and drive to Canazei for 5 nights of Dolomites cycling.

On the agenda there are (legs willing) ;
Passo della Stelvio (from Prato allo Stelvio)
Sella Ronda loop
Passo Fedaia (fr Canazei) and back via Passo Pordoi
Tre Cime Lavaredo from Cortina d'Ampezzo & Passo Giau fr Pocol
Middle maratona Dolomite loop - Passo Campalongo & Passo Falzarego/Valparola

Then drive to Lake Como and spend 4 nights shoreshide at Pognana Lario. Whilst there, will be doing (again, legs willing) ;
Il Ghisallo & Colma di Sormano (as well as Muro di Sormano) and visit the Chapel
A loop into Switzerland via Bellagio, Lugano and do a loop of the 2009 WRR course (best imitation of Cadel)
Easy local loop to keep the legs going and ready for final French climbs

Then, the final 5 nights are in Bourg Saint Maurice, where the final challenges await. Plan is to do ;
La Plagne (where Roche rode his heart out to secure TdF against Delgado) - mate is Irish, so important !!!
Col de L'Iseran - how many times do you get to do a single climb with over 1,900m of ascent !!
Try and become a 'Member' of the Brotherhood of The Feles du Grand Colombier by climbing two sides in one day - fr. Culoz and Artemare
Catch up with other friends and watch Stage 18 from Sallanches to Megeve
Catch up with other friends (again) and watch Stage 19 from Albertville to Saint Gervais les Bains

Then start packing and get up early to catch the plane back home and be in Adelaide in the 23rd :(

Except for the two TdF days, that equates to a potential of 803km with over 17,000m of ascent :shock: :shock: :shock:

CAN'T WAIT !!!!!

148 days to go !!!!
8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6124
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:55 am

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

Scott2468
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 am

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby Scott2468 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:Well, things have progressed since last update.

Flights booked :)
Accom booked :D
Training still continuing :?

We (a mate and I) leave Adelaide on the 8th July (Fri evening) and fly into Milan at lunch the following day. Pick up the hire car and drive to Canazei for 5 nights of Dolomites cycling.

On the agenda there are (legs willing) ;
Passo della Stelvio (from Prato allo Stelvio)
Sella Ronda loop
Passo Fedaia (fr Canazei) and back via Passo Pordoi
Tre Cime Lavaredo from Cortina d'Ampezzo & Passo Giau fr Pocol
Middle maratona Dolomite loop - Passo Campalongo & Passo Falzarego/Valparola

Then drive to Lake Como and spend 4 nights shoreshide at Pognana Lario. Whilst there, will be doing (again, legs willing) ;
Il Ghisallo & Colma di Sormano (as well as Muro di Sormano) and visit the Chapel
A loop into Switzerland via Bellagio, Lugano and do a loop of the 2009 WRR course (best imitation of Cadel)
Easy local loop to keep the legs going and ready for final French climbs

Then, the final 5 nights are in Bourg Saint Maurice, where the final challenges await. Plan is to do ;
La Plagne (where Roche rode his heart out to secure TdF against Delgado) - mate is Irish, so important !!!
Col de L'Iseran - how many times do you get to do a single climb with over 1,900m of ascent !!
Try and become a 'Member' of the Brotherhood of The Feles du Grand Colombier by climbing two sides in one day - fr. Culoz and Artemare
Catch up with other friends and watch Stage 18 from Sallanches to Megeve
Catch up with other friends (again) and watch Stage 19 from Albertville to Saint Gervais les Bains

Then start packing and get up early to catch the plane back home and be in Adelaide in the 23rd :(

Except for the two TdF days, that equates to a potential of 803km with over 17,000m of ascent :shock: :shock: :shock:

CAN'T WAIT !!!!!

148 days to go !!!!
8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Exciting times.

Train as much as you can. Nearing July, try and block rides up, day after day. The more you can comfortably back rides up, day after day, the more you will get out of the trip.

The rides you state dont have any real tunnels in them but take a good a (seeing) headlight as you can. You should be able to easily keep your weight down and take a floor pump. You will curse without one.

When you do your final pack for your bike, have a small bag and put EVERY tool you use for the assembly / disassembly in it. (Dont try and pack tools later or you may forget something stupid) Then store that in a easy, accessible spot.

Plenty of layer riding gear. The Dolomites is not that high in elevation but I guess the elevation and the northern magnitude, it does get hot or extremely cold (snow) anytime.

It is a couple of hours drive to Prad. Anyway, if I was to do Stelvio from only one route it would definitely be the Umbrial Pass. Sublime Swiss road surface, brilliant green pastures on the lower slopes, lowest traffic. If you do go this way, careful. Shops will take Euro but give change in Francs.

Most of all, keep the rubber side down, take pleny of pics and enjoy.
Image

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:22 pm

Scott2468 wrote:
Train as much as you can. Nearing July, try and block rides up, day after day. The more you can comfortably back rides up, day after day, the more you will get out of the trip..


Starting that process already. I can commute to work twice a week, and whilst the direct route is 3.5km, I take a detaour and get between 600 - 900m of climbing in where I can. We are backing that up with rides over the weekend of 1,500 - 2,000m already.


Scott2468 wrote:
When you do your final pack for your bike, have a small bag and put EVERY tool you use for the assembly / disassembly in it. (Dont try and pack tools later or you may forget something stupid) Then store that in a easy, accessible spot...


Handy tip 8)


Scott2468 wrote:
It is a couple of hours drive to Prad. Anyway, if I was to do Stelvio from only one route it would definitely be the Umbrial Pass. Sublime Swiss road surface, brilliant green pastures on the lower slopes, lowest traffic. If you do go this way, careful. Shops will take Euro but give change in Francs. ..


The route from Prato allo Stelvio is a bit of that's an image that first captured my imagination, and there is also a family trip from 1958 that also adds to it, so that's the route. I think at the end of the day, either of the 3 routes will be brilliant !!


Scott2468 wrote:
Most of all, keep the rubber side down, take pleny of pics and enjoy.


I intend to !!! :D :D :D

Chris249
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby Chris249 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:31 am

Stelvio from the Prato side is awe-inspiring, and owwwww-inspiring. I have to admit I haven't done Umbrial but that may come this (Oz) winter 'cause it looks fun and would work in well with my strategy of combining touring (with camping gear) and classic climbs. Personally my favourite mountain is the Gavia, which I've climbed from the north and been down twice and up once on the southern side. The southern side from Ponto de Legno is my favourite Alpine climb although I've only done half a dozen. The eastern Dolomites look amazing, though.

I've only just noticed your questions from months ago. Emirates do not charge for the bike. I don't think I've ever been charged for the bike. My wife and I used Ground Effect Body Bags. They have both done two Euro trips and a few local trips. Total damage is one smashed plastic cap on a brifter. We take our alloy Merida CX bikes, not our carbon roadies.

One of the reasons we love the GF BBs is that we tend to fly into one country, do some riding and then catch a plane or train to another country, and then fly out from another destination. The BB is brilliant for that because you just take it with you as you go, and it protects the bike as you move from place to place by plane, bus or train. This time I also used in as an extra groundsheet when camping, and if you got stranded in a nasty spot it could even form a bivvy bag.

I'm still wondering about my next Euro trip. Having done some of the French Alps last year, I think I would rather return to Italy, although due to time, weather and fitness I have some unfinished business in France.

As Scott says, it can be very cold (-2 to +2, not counting wind chill and rain) on some of the summits even in summer. Because of the way we travel we don't take a floor pump and get by happily with mini pumps and an occasional trip into a bike shop.

Ohh, and watch out for Italian drivers on big scooters. They hurt.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:13 am

Well, after slowly building up the legs and consistently getting better up the climbs and doing successive hard days, the almost worst things happens :(

When descending one of my favourite bits, lost the front wheel (think a combo of speed and leftover reflective bits from the relining of the road markings) left me with plenty of road rash and a grade 2 tear of my AC joint ligament in the shoulder. Luckily, no broken bones, so that is good.

Best of all, no major damage to the bike I think (haven't had the desire to check it out properly yet), so spending a week at home, and will get a mates trainer out soon to make sure the legs keep turning.

At least I have plenty of time to recover ..... :| :?

What was worst, had just set a PB by 21 sec up Belair Rd too !!!! :D :roll:

User avatar
toolonglegs
Posts: 15451
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:18 pm

That wasn't clever!
Hope you mend quick... How long off the bike?

Scott2468
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 am

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby Scott2468 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:43 pm

OK, it is done. Move forward.

Own the fall. Learn and dont repeat, especially over there.

Most importantly, own the recovery. No regrets.
Image

User avatar
toolonglegs
Posts: 15451
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:14 pm

Yeah don't do it over here :lol: ... biggest thing to remember is don't pump tyres up hard in the hills, from experience it is not pretty scrapping people off the road who have pumped their tyres up to 120psi!
Oh and don't forget to study up on "priorité à droite" ... catchs a few out in French towns :lol:

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:05 am

Hopefully only a few weeks, but waiting to see.

Have a mate with a Tacx trainer, so will make use of that for a while :D

User avatar
roller
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby roller » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:Try and become a 'Member' of the Brotherhood of The Feles du Grand Colombier by climbing two sides in one day - fr. Culoz and Artemare


This (fr. Culoz) is a fantastic climb, quite steep at the start but then a really enjoyable trip to the top with some great views, I did it with a friend on tour day in 2012, fond memories.

:D
inflammatory statement or idea

User avatar
roller
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby roller » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:12 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Oh and don't forget to study up on "priorité à droite" ... catchs a few out in French towns :lol:


it was the round-a-bouts that got me, which way do I look? which way do I go? :lol:
inflammatory statement or idea

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 am

In reference to TLL's 'prioritry to the right', I found this useful page

Image

:shock:

I think I'll just slow down and wait for everyone else to go through !!!

Driving out of Milan airport will be interesting as well :shock: :shock:


Back to AC joint rehab. Some sufferfest sessions on the trainer have gone well, so will continue that for a few more weeks to make sure and then venture on the road. The range of motion is just about 100%, but certain movements with force are still a painful reminder of what not to do !!

User avatar
toolonglegs
Posts: 15451
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:06 pm

I have never seen a round about where you give way to the right, maybe like they say the Arc de Triomphe but then I found that very easy to navigate.
Having done the infamous "code" test recently it was always give way to right except in roundabouts where you give priority to those already in the roundabout.
The main thing is in towns to remember that little side streets may have priority, I go through about 20 such intersections everyday.
I am sure your will be fine.
In regards to Milan airport ( which is a long way from Milan ) depends which way you are heading but it isn't too bad to get out of. Having a map is handy though so you don't blindly follow the gps.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8230
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby MichaelB » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote:.....
In regards to Milan airport ( which is a long way from Milan ) depends which way you are heading but it isn't too bad to get out of. Having a map is handy though so you don't blindly follow the gps.


Have a road atlas so far, but will probably get a closer one for just that area.

1st stop is Canazei for 5 nights :mrgreen:

User avatar
toolonglegs
Posts: 15451
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: So, TdF 2016 ? The missus said I could go .....

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Wouldn't worry mate... Finding the motorway is easy.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users