New Champion of the World!

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Surprised there's no threads. Watched the last 55km. Was a good race, good course. A Sagan was just way too strong. Some love him, Some hate him, either way, he 100% earned that win, and to do it with only 2 team mates when others had full squads is impressive. Maybe that will shut the haters up for a while :p

Also a shame Matthews couldn't snag the win. He really rode the perfect race as well, if the bunch could have brought Sagan back, he probably would have won.

Derny Driver

Re: New Champion of the World!

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Oleg Tinkoff should be happy now. But he probably isnt.
Class always prevails.
Sagan isall class, and yes Gav, to win without a team is impressive.
He will be a great world champ for the sport this year.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Watched the last 70k ... very civilized hour at 8pm :) .
Great win by Sagan.
Not much coverage of what was going on behind though which was a shame. Sounds like teams with numbers didn't play the game.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Matthews bagged Gerrans for not helping close to the gap to Sagan. There were two leaders apparently, which seems odd on that course which suited Matthews better.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Can't fault Sagan's strategy, nor his commitment to making it stick he is all class on the bike, its just a pity he loses the "cl" as soon as he dismounts.

The usual snarky comments from back in the bunch about how they coulda woulda shoulda won.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:43 pm

biker jk wrote:Matthews bagged Gerrans for not helping close to the gap to Sagan..
What ? Gerro didnt pull a turn :shock: :shock: :shock:

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Oleg Tinkoff should be happy now. But he probably isnt.
Well he really won for Slovakia, not Tinkoff, so I don't think he'll be happy :lol: He'll just be more pissed he couldn't have done that at Flanders or Roubaix :P

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:02 am

He'll be very happy that the rainbow with be on his team next year.
Until he doesn't win everything in 2016!

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:03 pm

The SBS crew seemed to be suggesting there was no way that Gerrans could have worked for Matthews given that he finished as high as 6th. Henk Vogels seemed to want to go ballistic over this but clearly he held his tongue.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:29 am

I agree, it is very rare for a leadout rider to finish so high, especially in a race of that level.
Then again, does anyone remember Cav and Renshaw finishing 1-2 in Paris a few years ago?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:18 pm

You know, I hope all the people on this forum who love to use the LABELS .... watched the highlights of the finale on Youtube .... and had a good hard think about how and why Sagan won the most coveted prize in world cycling.
If Sagan is "A SPRINTER" as everyone likes to label him, then why didnt he wait for the sprint? Obviously Sagan himself doesnt think he is a sprinter or he would have backed himself in the sprint.
Sagan is NOT a sprinter, nor is Matthews, nor is Caleb Ewan. (Tom Boonen is another one that gets labelled " a sprinter", not many sprinters can ride away and win Paris -Roubaix solo though)....These guys are good ALL-ROUND bike riders who can do everything, they do not label themselves or mentally put themselves in a box. In this race we see Sagan did not have some PREARRANGED plan in his head, he had no team, he simply used all his experience to launch a well-timed attack.
Once you start to think you are "a climber" or "a sprinter" or " a time trialler" you have shut off 90% of your mental options. I hate it when I hear average bike riders on here labelling themselves according to their physique or the way in which they have won a couple of races or Strava segments or something.
The media labels people.... but good riders dont buy that sort of BS. The way in which Sagan won shows he did not have a blinkered sprint mentality. He attacked UP the hill, used bike handling skills to descend and corner quicker, then time trialled to the line.
Good bike riders do not have tunnel vision about what they can and cannot do.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:21 pm

+1, well said :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:26 pm

I don't think anyone would label Sagan a pure sprinter, can't really label anyone who races on the road that. He can obviously finish off a race in a bunch but given the team he rides for he is never going to have a big train.
He obviously has a huge power to weight in the anaerobic range which he has demonstrated many times.
I hope we can see him win an early April race next year!

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:56 am

I'm still in Awe. I've watched the replay a few times. He honestly only had 5 meters over GVA and Boassan Hagan at the top of that climb, and probably another 5 meters to the start of the bunch. To not only hold the bunch off, but to increase his lead over those last 2.5km is an effort worthy of being World Champion. He took a few of those corners so well, he was opening the gap just from his skills.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:48 am

Was great to watch Peter Sagan bide his time, and ride so intelligently and take out this deserved
win at his young age. And great to see the respect he has from the other riders. Not being a 'pure'
sprinter but a great all-rounder has been evident over the last few years. Still able to dominate the
Green in TDF without the 'leadout' mentality but as a solo rider has tempered his riding skills to the
point that he is now a worthy World Road Champion. Congratulations. We will see much more from
him in the next five years. I look forward to it.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:29 pm

It has taken all week but I finally got to the end of 5 hours of recorded video last night.
It was a great finish characterised by a typically Sagan late attack and solo to the line.
No doubt in my mind Sagan is a worthy champion.
It was a good result for Matthews too. He will have more opportunities.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Also great to watch the women's race, Armistead was clearly the strongest in the peleton, and kudos for attacking.