Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

RonK

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby RonK » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:
RonK wrote:
MichaelB wrote:What is bewildering to me though is the governing bodies responses. Or lack of it ....
Why? It seems quite apparent that Cookson is to Wiggins/Sky what Verbruggen was to Armstrong/US Postal. Perhaps even more so.
The difference is thet this is now with all the learings behind us to show the results.

Then again, are my sights set a little high ..... :roll:
When there is a knighthood in the offing to go with your OBE...
So that would make it:
Sir Bradley Wiggins
Sir Christopher Froome
Sir David Brailsford
Sir Brian Cookson.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:10 pm

Drug cheat David Millar says TUEs shouldn't be allowed in competition. I totally agree.

A T.U.E. should allow access to a performance-enhancing drug only if that drug is required for proven medical reasons. Then a T.U.E. should permit its use — but only out of competition. If any traces of the drug are found by in-competition testing, then that should result in a ban. For an athlete's own well-being, it is better to face the fact of sickness or injury and withdraw from competition. And for the sport's well-being, it is better to avoid a system open to abuse and exploitation.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-m ... mes-essay/

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:56 pm

biker jk wrote:Drug cheat David Millar says TUEs shouldn't be allowed in competition. I totally agree.

A T.U.E. should allow access to a performance-enhancing drug only if that drug is required for proven medical reasons. Then a T.U.E. should permit its use — but only out of competition. If any traces of the drug are found by in-competition testing, then that should result in a ban. For an athlete's own well-being, it is better to face the fact of sickness or injury and withdraw from competition. And for the sport's well-being, it is better to avoid a system open to abuse and exploitation.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/david-m ... mes-essay/
Yep, I reckon this is the only way. Too many doctors willing to state an athlete has a particular condition so a TUE can be issued.

Let's face it, if you have a medical condition which prevents you from being the best in a particular sport, then it is unlikely you will be at the top of that sport. If you can't see properly then archery is unlikely to be a sport you will be good at, if you are short and have a slight build then cycling might suit you better than rugby, if you are asthmatic then sports which rely on high aerobic capacity probably don't suit you. We are all limited to not being brilliant at many pursuits by our genetics, given I sink I doubt I would be the fastest swimmer going, not the sport for me I suppose, that's life.

I still find it exceedingly strange the number of pro cyclists who seem to be asthmatics. I would have thought not being an asthmatic would be an advantage. Given the performance enhancing qualities of some asthmatic drugs they should be only available, with a TUE, outside of competition.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Such a change is ill considered IMO. There are legitimate reasons to have a TUE.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:24 am

Team Sky employee interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8o7RNL-mHI

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:56 am

biker jk wrote:Team Sky employee interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8o7RNL-mHI
LOVE IT

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Such a change is ill considered IMO. There are legitimate reasons to have a TUE.
I disagree, if the TUE means the athlete has a performance enhancing drug then they should have to sit out the races where the drug could assist their performance. Seems reasonable, should be avoiding exertion when they are unwell.

I think TUEs are being abused, since they are being abused they should be banned in competition. If they want someone to blame they can look in the mirror at those who are abusing the current rules.

DS

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:28 am

DavidS wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Such a change is ill considered IMO. There are legitimate reasons to have a TUE.
I disagree, if the TUE means the athlete has a performance enhancing drug then they should have to sit out the races where the drug could assist their performance. Seems reasonable, should be avoiding exertion when they are unwell.

I think TUEs are being abused, since they are being abused they should be banned in competition. If they want someone to blame they can look in the mirror at those who are abusing the current rules.

DS
I accept we both have differing opinions. It is my opinion that there are going to be cases where a TUE can be both necessary for the health and well being of an athlete and they are going to be OK to continue competition, or at least be in an "in-competition" period.

To forcibly deny that possibility is an over the top response.

For example, some athletes have a TUE to carry an epipen in case of severe allergic reaction. You have to recognise that the "in-competition" period is more than simply the time between the start line and the finish line of a race. In this case, you are saying that no-one that's required to carry an epipen as a life saving device can compete in sport at any level.

It's the current TUE administration process that needs tightening. The challenge is how. I liken it to when vehicle registration checks moved from a central test authority to being done by the local garage. No doubt an increase in the level of dodgy test results being issued, so the process and quality control around that should be where attention is focused.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:28 pm

We do have differing opinions, I suppose I just think these things get abused and, to be frank, they get too strict rules because of the abuse. Shouldn't be this way but it seems to be.

Certainly a contentious debate and there really are no clear cut answers to this age old problem.

DS

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:15 pm

46-year old amateur cyclist banned for four years. It would have been eight years but the two banned substances were from the same sample. :roll:

http://www.ukad.org.uk/news/article/ama ... d-for-epo/

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:43 pm

biker jk wrote:46-year old amateur cyclist banned for four years. It would have been eight years but the two banned substances were from the same sample. :roll:

Why would you take the chance? What is the point? :?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

biker jk wrote:46-year old amateur cyclist banned for four years. It would have been eight years but the two banned substances were from the same sample. :roll:

trailgumby wrote:Why would you take the chance? What is the point? :?
The cost of testing is high enough that chances of an amateur randomly being picked would seem very low. While the article says the 2nd test I suspect the 1st was as well, especially seeing as how he finished 9th!

As for why, the explanation he proffered when notified of the 1st positive was that his sample was spiked & no idea as to how EPO appeared in his urine, but blames the sample handling & transport. The Anti Doping Panel described this, & I'm paraphrasing here, as bollocks.

he point was probably just to massage his own ego & make up for those feelings of inadequacy - you know the sort of person who cheats at solitaire.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:41 pm

find_bruce wrote:he point was probably just to massage his own ego & make up for those feelings of inadequacy - you know the sort of person who cheats at solitaire.
At least when the known health risks materialise it means he won't be with us as long as otherwise, so maybe, from one perspective, some good may come of it :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:50 am

Samuel Conti joins the list of drug cheats, testing positive for growth hormone GHRP-2, banned for ban three years and seven months from 13 August until 12th March 2020.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:46 am

25 year old Spaniard tests positive three days into his professional career. :roll:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallego ... oping-ban/

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:07 am

biker jk wrote:25 year old Spaniard tests positive three days into his professional career. :roll:

"New era", "marginal gains" blah blah blah...
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 am

ldrcycles wrote:
biker jk wrote:25 year old Spaniard tests positive three days into his professional career. :roll:

"New era", "marginal gains" blah blah blah...
That in a nutshell...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 am

ldrcycles wrote:"New era", "marginal gains" blah blah blah...
biker jk wrote:That in a nutshell...
You guys are all a bit harsh, he's not a drug cheat but the "victim of a laboratory contamination", just like Ben Johnson

In this new age of transparency, it is good to see that a positive test in January is quietly published at the end of October. :roll:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:30 am

Thomas Dekker book details doping at the 2007 TdF (yes the year after Operacion Puerto!) - EPO, bogus TUEs for cortisone

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas- ... -rabobank/

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
biker jk wrote:Lance Armstrong calling out Cancellara as a doper. Classicomo Luigi was the nickname on a Puerto bloodbag rumoured to belong to Cancellara although other cyclists have been suggested as owning the blood bag.

@TrekSegafredo Luigi!!

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/stat ... 4400550912
Pretty sure Luigi was Dekker:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/thomas-d ... ~a3381753/
Dekker: I am 'Clasicomano Luigi' in Fuentes ledger

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:23 am

find_bruce wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
biker jk wrote:Lance Armstrong calling out Cancellara as a doper. Classicomo Luigi was the nickname on a Puerto bloodbag rumoured to belong to Cancellara although other cyclists have been suggested as owning the blood bag.

@TrekSegafredo Luigi!!

https://twitter.com/lancearmstrong/stat ... 4400550912
Pretty sure Luigi was Dekker:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/thomas-d ... ~a3381753/
Dekker: I am 'Clasicomano Luigi' in Fuentes ledger
But who was Clasicomano (Blood bag No. 33) if Dekker is Clasicomano Luigi (Blood bag No. 24)?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:04 am

Ex-pro doped his teenage son. :shock:

An ex-professional cyclist from the Netherlands has been handed a lifetime ban from any involvement in cycling after he was found to have given his underage son doping products.

The Disciplinary Committee of the Institute for Sports Law suspended the 50-year-old Teo Muis because of the provision and administration of nandrolone to his son Jesse, who was a junior at the time.

But as the court ruled he took the drug thinking it was a multivitamin, his initial four-year suspension was reduced to two.

The case dates back to November 2015 when the Dutch cycling federation posted a statement on its website about a junior rider who had missed a doping control test.

The rider was positively identified as Jesse Muis and he was promptly suspended for four years.

And earlier this week another post on the federation’s website concluded that his father Teo will also be sanctioned, albeit far more heavily.

“The defendant is suspended by a ruling of the Institute for Sports Law with immediate effect for life and, therefore, must in no way (be) concerned or take part in competitions or training,” the institute’s statement said.

“The person concerned, in November/December 2014, at least at some point prior to a doping control which took place in 2015 in his capacity as facilitator/coach nandrolone administered to his then minor son, who is also a member of the National Federation.”

Nandrolone is a performance-enhancing drug on the sport’s governing body’s prohibited list and administration of such a prohibited substance to a member constitutes a breach of Article 10 of the Anti-Doping Rules.

Muis senior tried to stop the publication of the ruling, and his defence team made the argument that the ruling would “mean a heavier punishment, especially for his son, with far-reaching and undesirable consequences for relations within the family”.

Teo Muis turned pro in the 1990s and at 21 years old joined the Spanish team Orbea.

Ironically, he admitted to being offered drugs during his career but refused, apparently.

“Doping? Not me. It is offered to me by teammates. But I’m never discussed. I was too afraid I would be caught and I did not want them,” he said while still racing.

“Furthermore, I do not want to lose it. Lately, there’s been too much about called.”

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... enage-son/

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 am

Shane Stokes (Cycling Tips writer) has decided to turn his twitter account (@SSbike) into a novel with covering Wiggins / Team Sky / Fluimucil / Sutton / Couries / Brailsford / Leinders / UKAD dramas.

I am still stuck navigating the table of contents as there has to be over 100 tweets and retweets from Stokes today alone... suffice to say, he is pretty excited and I am trying to piece it together.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:54 am

Here is some relief... his CyclingTips article is now out which provides a more logical flow.
Shane Stokes wrote:Ten and a half weeks after it emerged that a British Cycling employee brought a package to Team Sky’s doctor at the 2011 Critérium du Dauphiné, Team Principal Dave Brailsford has finally confirmed the nature of the substance concerned.

Speaking at a Culture, Media and Sport select committee hearing, Brailsford told those questioning him that the product was Fluimucil.

“[Team doctor Richard] Freeman told me it was Fluimucil for a nebuliser,” he stated. “That was what was in the package. It was what Dr Freeman told me.”

Fluimucil is a decongestant used for clearing mucus. It is not a banned substance.
Continues on CyclingTips...

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:47 am

AUbicycles wrote:Here is some relief... his CyclingTips article is now out which provides a more logical flow.
Shane Stokes wrote:Ten and a half weeks after it emerged that a British Cycling employee brought a package to Team Sky’s doctor at the 2011 Critérium du Dauphiné, Team Principal Dave Brailsford has finally confirmed the nature of the substance concerned.

Speaking at a Culture, Media and Sport select committee hearing, Brailsford told those questioning him that the product was Fluimucil.

“[Team doctor Richard] Freeman told me it was Fluimucil for a nebuliser,” he stated. “That was what was in the package. It was what Dr Freeman told me.”

Fluimucil is a decongestant used for clearing mucus. It is not a banned substance.
Continues on CyclingTips...

Christopher
So Team Sky had an 8 euro medication which they could have purchased nearby in France flown by personal courier from the UK. :lol: :lol: :lol: