Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

trailgumby

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby trailgumby » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:17 pm

A great TED talk on doping and the lessons for workplace ethics.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:48 am

Thd Kimmage interview (podcast) is fairly good. After a slow start it really gets to the crunch that honest and open teams and riders would (should) be reacting differently.

Unfortunately, instead of having a timeframe for Team Sky to provide a reason... it is open ended and Froome can compete... which is bad news for the sport. Better is that the reasonabke explanation is provided before the season begin and everyone has clarity.... what reason would a clean team have to delay?

The team is now gathering ‘experts’ to try and prove that the results ard part of an adverse reaction... but thus still doesn’t answer questions about Wiggins and the general team approach.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:28 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Thd Kimmage interview (podcast) is fairly good. After a slow start it really gets to the crunch that honest and open teams and riders would (should) be reacting differently.
Yes, that was a good piece.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 am

AUbicycles wrote:...
I found a number of studies about the effect of asthma drug Salbutamol and a number concluded that there were no significant effects. One study showed a possible 1.8 - 1.9% performance improvement for endurance cycling but it was inconclusive because of the uncertainty how much could actually be attributed.
That sounds like a marginal gain to me...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:16 am

A cursory pubmed search revealed about 40 studies on salbutamol's impact on cycling performance. It quite clearly has potential to positively impact performance.

About half of the studies found an ergogenic impact, about half did not, and none except one part of one study noted a minor negative impact. Obviously the research covers a wide range of scenarios, athlete cohorts, dosages, test methodologies, performance criteria etc but the body of evidence suggests there most definitely is potential for egogenicity, which is why salbutamol is a specified prohibited substance under the WADA code.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Not cycling related, but "someone spiked my drink" might become the next excuse. Japanese kayaker given an 8 year suspension for spiking a rival's drink with an anabolic steroid. I have no idea how the deed was uncovered, but the perpetrator admitted doing it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753196

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am

trailgumby wrote:Not cycling related, but "someone spiked my drink" might become the next excuse. Japanese kayaker given an 8 year suspension for spiking a rival's drink with an anabolic steroid. I have no idea how the deed was uncovered, but the perpetrator admitted doing it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753196
Didn't Ben Johnson use that excuse waaaaay back in 1988?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:56 pm

RobertL wrote:Didn't Ben Johnson use that excuse waaaaay back in 1988?
Like most dopers his story changed over time, but as I recall he confessed to taking steroids for years, but claimed his positive test was because of a spiked drink because he had stopped taking steroids 6 weeks before the Olympics, & the steroids he was taking didn't include Stanozolol. Of course he also says he only did it because everyone else was taking drugs
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Interesting quote from Patrick Lefevere (Quick Step) in cyclingnews
Patrick Flecher wrote:"I'm sad. First of all, I'm sad," Lefevere told Cyclingnews .... "Because it's always cycling. Unfortunately, nobody speaks about 50 per cent of athletes being suspended in athletics, and if you speak about doping in football, it doesn't exist, never existed, and will never exist."
He makes some good arguments for the UCI to move, fast, to provide some clarity.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Lefevere.

Mapei from mid 90’s to early 2000’s. Back to Belgium with Domo (?) then hooked up again with Mapei to become Quick-Step incarnations. Yeah, I can see his anti-doping pedigree.

I honestly wonder how these people keep a straight face sometimes. They’d make excellent politicians. Or used car salesmen.

However, I agree it’s a solid argument. TBH, I’ve never seen so many riders/insiders so prepared to comment directly on a case as they have with Froomay. Have to wonder the whys and whatfors.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Like most dopers his story changed over time, but as I recall he confessed to taking steroids for years, but claimed his positive test was because of a spiked drink because he had stopped taking steroids 6 weeks before the Olympics, & the steroids he was taking didn't include Stanozolol. Of course he also says he only did it because everyone else was taking drugs
There's been more than one instance where riders have been pinged for doping and the the substance found in the Adverse Analytical Finding was different from what they were using. Not sure if Floyd Landis was one of them?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Team Sky, meticulous in every facet of training, nutrition and equipment was strangely lax when it came to medical practices. I wonder why?

UKAD's rebuke of British Cycling's medical practices, written in November 2017 after the inquiry concluded, noted that the medical room at the Manchester velodrome was "chaotic and disorganised" with no formal procedures for recording the purchase, use or disposal of medicines.

The agency also found that BC had no records of medicines or medical supply packages being sent from British Cycling to teams or athletes and indeed, no filing system at all - just "papers piled up in cupboards and filing cabinets".

Additionally, UKAD examined doping control forms and could find no corresponding records for the legal medicines that were being administered to athletes.

The lack of electronic medical records was a major concern, as was the lack of evidence that team doctors Freeman and Dr Steve Peters had adequate oversight.

As noted by the Parliamentary committee, the blending of BC and Team Sky staff was problematic. UKAD noted that medical supplies for one were at times paid for by the other.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ukad-sl ... rocedures/

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:22 pm

trailgumby wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
There's been more than one instance where riders have been pinged for doping and the the substance found in the Adverse Analytical Finding was different from what they were using. Not sure if Floyd Landis was one of them?
I think Floyd was done for a high T/E ratio...too much test....but later when coming clean (?) claimed that he’d taken every ped and blood bags he could find except that.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 pm

fat and old wrote:I think Floyd was done for a high T/E ratio...too much test....but later when coming clean (?) claimed that he’d taken every ped and blood bags he could find except that.
The only people who buy that have been smoking some of what he is now selling

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Floyd’s alright. He exerts a strange attraction for me.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 am

The Floyd Landis attraction is probably due to the chimeric twin.

Write him (her) a letter... could be the start of something beautiful.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:02 am

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... est-365861

Straw, reaching, grab.

Oh, they can't repeat the conditions in the test, so grabbing anything that may be remotely plausible ....

Makes Berties 'contaminated steak' theory seem rock solid ......

Maybe, the high reading on a specific day was the result of simply taking (a) more than allowed, or (b) taking it the wrong way.

:roll:

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 am

Geez. With all the medical problems he has - blood disorder, chronic asthma and now a dodgey kidney - it's a wonder poor Froomey can ride a bike at all.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The Floyd Landis attraction is probably due to the chimeric twin.

I did. :)

No, they don't deliver to Australia. :( But I'll be the first with a Floyd's of Leadville TDF Yellow Jersey in Aus!! 8) :lol:

BTW, the twin was Hamilton's idea. :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:27 pm

fat and old wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:The Floyd Landis attraction is probably due to the chimeric twin.

I did. :)

No, they don't deliver to Australia. :( But I'll be the first with a Floyd's of Leadville TDF Yellow Jersey in Aus!! 8) :lol:

BTW, the twin was Hamilton's idea. :lol:
Remind me again was Floyd the dodgy steak, kissed a woman in a nightclub, erectile dysfunction, it was my mother's fault .. oh now I remember it was too many jack daniels.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:12 pm

My faves are probably the two (a male and a female) who claimed their mums meds fell into the pasta :lol:

Hinault. Just plain refused to be tested.
Merckx: I was set up
Contador: I ate a Chinese steak
Armstrong: I had saddle sores
Henao: I’m Colombian, it’s normal.
Tiernan-Locke: I hit the booze
O’Grady: I didn’t inhale
Nibali: Who needs drugs? Just hold on and go!
Vino: Who needs drugs? Want 100 grand to go?
Almost everyone post 2011: I have asthma

Any more?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 am

It is probably our role now to speculate... asthma is almost done so what are the excuses we will expect to hear?

My training bike has leather bartape which is more comfortable. The steroids used in cattle were present in the leather and were activated by sweaty hands which then seeped into the blood.
Cycling is in my BNA

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 am

How about, "the bucketful of used syringes whose contents are now so degraded that they can't be identified were just injectable vitamins".

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Write him (her) a letter... could be the start of something beautiful.
Christopher! :shock: :lol: :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Just thought fat and old could so with a pen friend.

The next excuse.
I crashed and the doctor used a fresh bandage to cover my wound but as everyone knows, fresh bandages are always soaked in polymers which ensure that it remains sterile. However when in contact with blood it has a positive side-effect of changing the chemical structure to create an anti-bacterial barrier and to aide the healing process. However when the bandage is removed and the polymer comes into contact with the air, because the chemical structure has been changed after coming in contact with the blood, it reacts to the air as a gas - when that was accidentally inhaled while dressing the wounds it explains abnormal and unintended positive sample.
Cycling is in my BNA