Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

biker jk

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby biker jk » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
For a chance, name one team for which Armstrong rode in the Tour de France.
Ends August 14 and Terms and Conditions apply.
Astana Pro Team

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:33 pm

Discovery

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:11 pm

All looking good - newcomers, don't be afraid to repeat as the list of other teams for which Armstrong rode is getting this.

And what do you think of the image I created for the review. I had in mind the vision which Armstrong has of himself... even now.
Cycling is in my BNA

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:36 pm

The halo was a nice touch :mrgreen: Suits the article well.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:15 am

5 years down the track, Menchov has been stripped of his TdF results from 2009, 2010 & 2013. Not clear why he has kept his 2009 Giro victory
Cycling News wrote:Menchov stripped of Tour de France results

Russian given ban through 2015 for biological passport violation

Russian Denis Menchov has been stripped of his results from the 2009, 2010 and 2012 Tours de France, with the UCI surreptitiously slipping the news into a summary of doping cases that was published on July 10.

Menchov finished second in the 2010 Tour de France behind Andy Schleck, after the disqualification of Alberto Contador.

Menchov, who retired suddenly on May 21, 2013 from the Katusha team, is a mere line item in a long list of cases that includes life bans to Lance Armstrong and Danilo Di Luca. He raced last on March 24, 2013, when he dropped out of the Volta a Cataluyna.

He is one of four riders banned for biological passport findings, but the cases of Leonardo Bertagnoli, Carlos Barredo and Leif Hoste were all announced publicly. There is no date listed for the adverse analytical finding, but Menchov's two-year ban ends on April 9, 2015.

Menchov was not stripped of his overall Giro d'Italia victory from 2009
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:11 pm

The saga continues....
"I only doped once... but didn't like the taste"
Cycling is in my BNA

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 am

AUbicycles wrote:The saga continues....
"I only doped once... but didn't like the taste"
That's what Lewinski said.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:33 pm

Team Sky's Tiernan-Locke banned for two years.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tiernan ... -two-years

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:50 pm

biker jk wrote:Team Sky's Tiernan-Locke banned for two years.
And I thought Sky is completely clean. :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:57 pm

sogood wrote:And I thought Sky is completely clean. :shock:
I'll save you having to read the article :D

Team Sky today terminated Tiernan-Locke's contract with immediate effect. “Jonathan’s contract has been terminated today," team principal David Brailsford said in a press release.

“Whilst there have been no doubts about his time with us, his doping violation - from readings taken before he joined this team - means there’s no place for him in Team Sky.

“We’ve a well-known stance on anti-doping and our action is the inevitable outcome of a violation."

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:01 pm

... so Team Sky didn't notice any issues in his passport before they signed him? ... Must have been fairly obvious to ban him ?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:05 pm

It really is quite amazing but understandable at a level that even after LA's expose, the riders are continuing to dope. It's cultural and deeply entrenched.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Few things to note wrt to Sky:

Yep JTL was not a member of Sky at the time of the anomalies.

JTL's pre-Sky conti team (Endura) members were not part of or admitted to the bio-passport program, although Endura did offer to pay for their inclusion in the program.

JTL was effectively on loan to Sky from 2012, when he attended Sky training camps, had signed an intent to join, and when the Sky team supported him on the road during his Tour of Britain win, although technically not a member of Sky. Keep in mind Sky was going to benefit from JTL's UCI points once he was officially on the roster.

JTL rode for the Sky sponsored and Brailsford-run British Cycling road team at the 2012 World Championships. Brailsford also runs Team Sky.

None of which says Sky has anything to do with it, but their convenient ignorance is pretty ordinary if you ask me. They should have insisted a rider on a long term recruitment plan become part of the bio-passport program, or at least conduct some of their own testing. It's quite clear that riders signing non-doping clauses of contracts is pretty meaningless. Same deal with Impey.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Agree there Alex - seems to be a very convenient way in which they've been able to distance themselves from his bio-passport anomaly; whilst using him in a 'lesser' capacity on his journey along the pathway to a front-row seat at the big-boys (Sky) racing table. Surely he was, at some point, under the care of Sky medicos, etc - why didn't they ensure he was tippity-top???

So many still getting popped - quite disappointing really, although not unexpected...

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:08 pm

macca33 wrote:So many still getting popped - quite disappointing really, although not unexpected...
Well there will continue to be those that fail the IQ test known as doping control.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm still trying to understand how Sky got away with banishing Henao back to Columbia when he developed a blood anomaly, without attracting any apparent attention from the UCI.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Yep. It certainly looks to be a case of teams happy to take the victory and points of "performing" riders and then quickly spit them out and denounce when the rider get caught. I agree with Alex, there really needs to be an advance period or bio-passport before official engagement.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:12 am

sogood wrote:Yep. It certainly looks to be a case of teams happy to take the victory and points of "performing" riders and then quickly spit them out and denounce when the rider get caught. I agree with Alex, there really needs to be an advance period or bio-passport before official engagement.
What cycling needs to do is adopt a policy used in swimming and athletics.

Namely if one member of a relay team tests positive, the whole team is disqualified.

This is because the whole team benefitted from the performance enhanced member.

Similarly in the TDF, a team leader can benefit from a boosted team mate. It's even worse when the event includes a team time trial and the boosted member is part of that.

So - a positive during the race, whole team booted. If it's good enough for swimming and athletics, it's good enough for cycling.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 am

herzog wrote:
sogood wrote:Yep. It certainly looks to be a case of teams happy to take the victory and points of "performing" riders and then quickly spit them out and denounce when the rider get caught. I agree with Alex, there really needs to be an advance period or bio-passport before official engagement.
What cycling needs to do is adopt a policy used in swimming and athletics.

Namely if one member of a relay team tests positive, the whole team is disqualified.

This is because the whole team benefitted from the performance enhanced member.

Similarly in the TDF, a team leader can benefit from a boosted team mate. It's even worse when the event includes a team time trial and the boosted member is part of that.

So - a positive during the race, whole team booted. If it's good enough for swimming and athletics, it's good enough for cycling.
You could add suspensions, demotions and bans for teams and team officials to that.

This would mean the teams would have to use their medical facilities to prevent doping rather than to manage and conceal it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:56 pm

Just a rumour but a GT winner has apparently triggered a biological passport case (likely Andy Schleck but don't rule out Horner). Still, if true, who know when the UCI will announce it given their history of trying to hide positives and recent decision to quietly list cases on their web site.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:10 pm

probably Riis :D

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:probably Riis :D
He was Mr 60% and the UCI still never caught him. :lol: It was only his admission to EPO use otherwise we'd never have known. Still, I get your humour about the SLOW process.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 pm

An idea out of the blue... and it has merit when you think about it. (don't know if it is new).

Professional cycling is a team sport - why not then penalise all team members if one member is caught doping. Simple penalties could be wiping all results for event (of all participating team members) during the doping period.

If you were clean and were penalised for someone else, you would be fuming. And this then makes doping a concern for the team. More serious penalities would be missing races - when the team is missing out on competition, it makes it harder.
Cycling is in my BNA

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 pm

From the other side - Matt Bottrill's attempt at the hour record is going to be put on hold because, as a non Pro Tour rider, he doesn't have a biological passport.

Source
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:50 pm

AUbicycles wrote:An idea out of the blue... and it has merit when you think about it. (don't know if it is new).
Pretty much what I was getting at 5 posts above.

It's already the norm in team events in Athletics and Swimming (e.g. relays).

Should be the same in cycling.