Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

ldrcycles

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 pm

It's totally just down to the 50,000kms of training he did while serving that ban that he didn't deserve :roll: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 08, 2015 6:01 am

Van Avermaet cleared of doping charges

Van Avermaet was accused of using cortisone and the children’s medicine Vaminolact.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 08, 2015 7:59 am

Interesting study which shows that micro dosing can beat the biological passport.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french- ... l-passport

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 08, 2015 1:37 pm

biker jk wrote:Interesting study which shows that micro dosing can beat the biological passport.

It's not a particularly strong study, more for media consumption. The bio-passport requires years of data, not months.

In any case it's not news, this has been established in published literature for many years.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21336951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
biker jk wrote:Interesting study which shows that micro dosing can beat the biological passport.

It's not a particularly strong study, more for media consumption. The bio-passport requires years of data, not months.

In any case it's not news, this has been established in published literature for many years.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21336951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes I'm aware of the earlier Ashenden et al study. While the experts may know about the huge gaping hole in the ABP I think the French study was nevertheless useful to inform a broader audience. Too many have bought the UCI propaganda that the ABP has significantly reduced doping.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 08, 2015 3:49 pm

I watched it on TV ... sure they wern't pushing the limits at all but it was interesting what the athletes had to say. You can see why so many masters would be tempted... feeling Young again must be a great feeling!. I can't remember how long ago I bounced out of bed feeling fresh!!!.

kb

Postby kb » Sat May 09, 2015 7:18 am

toolonglegs wrote:... feeling Young again must be a great feeling!. I can't remember how long ago I bounced out of bed feeling fresh!!!.
Since kids? ;-)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 13, 2015 7:18 am

Rabottini had a positive test for EPO & part of his defence was that there were no anomalies in his biological passport. Despite denying that he took EPO, it appears he got a 3 month reduction for "co-operating" with anti-doping authorities.

If he didn't admit taking EPO, how can he have given any useful information about the doping of others or how he obtained the EPO etc ?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 13, 2015 7:47 am

find_bruce wrote:Rabottini had a positive test for EPO & part of his defence was that there were no anomalies in his biological passport. Despite denying that he took EPO, it appears he got a 3 month reduction for "co-operating" with anti-doping authorities.

If he didn't admit taking EPO, how can he have given any useful information about the doping of others or how he obtained the EPO etc ?
Yes I found that hard to understand. If he initially denied taking EPO then later confesses I don't see that as "co-operating" with the anti-doping authorities. Quite amusing that he seemed to be saying "look my biological passport is fine so I can't be using EPO" especially with the evidence showing that micro-dosing EPO can defeat the ABP.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 21, 2015 10:18 pm

This is an article on The Conversation by Craig Fry who discusses doping with regard to Stuart O'Grady paneling the SBS - The Bike Lane.
Craig Fry wrote:Barely two years after admitting use of erythropoietin (EPO) in his professional cycling career, Stuart O’Grady is back in favour again. He has a co-hosting gig with the new SBS Bike Lane show, which starts this Sunday 24th of May.

This is an odd decision by SBS. One wonders if SBS seniors discussed the potential downside of bringing O’Grady in for the new show. Did anyone object? Was the possibility of a backlash considered? Might this represent a conflict for SBS cycling coverage, particularly around future drugs and doping incidents?

It’s not like O’Grady has been given his own show, and he only has a three week stint at this stage. However, I still think it is worth considering what message the SBS Bike Lane line-up sends about the acceptability of doping in cycling – especially given SBS’s role as a public broadcaster with a large and growing audience of cycling fans.

Full Article
This is the start, and it really gets going when it states "Cheats prosper in cycling". A very informative read.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Wed May 27, 2015 2:59 am

It is a very poor effort seeing SBS using O'Grady on the bike lane, maybe if the guy would actually be honest about his doping past but he lied for years about it and is still lying about it. It really is time for Australian cycling fans realise that our "golden" era around O'Grady's time wasn't so much Golden but Toxic.
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 27, 2015 8:20 am

This is ultimately the issue. Cycling does not exist without dopers at the top level. Contador is doing well in the Giro. Do we abandon the sport because of his ban? This is a question for each of us. Have an opinion but don't assume everyone will agree. Doping sucks but the pressure to do it is irresistible at the top level. You don't get the Festina or Astana issues because the sport is clean.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 27, 2015 9:14 am

Strydz wrote:It is a very poor effort seeing SBS using O'Grady on the bike lane, maybe if the guy would actually be honest about his doping past but he lied for years about it and is still lying about it. It really is time for Australian cycling fans realise that our "golden" era around O'Grady's time wasn't so much Golden but Toxic.
+1 does anybody believe the "it was just that one time" excuse.

Sadly cheats continue to prosper in cycling

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 am

Agreed - very questionable by SBS

roller

Postby roller » Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Strydz wrote:It is a very poor effort seeing SBS using O'Grady on the bike lane, maybe if the guy would actually be honest about his doping past but he lied for years about it and is still lying about it. It really is time for Australian cycling fans realise that our "golden" era around O'Grady's time wasn't so much Golden but Toxic.
+1 does anybody believe the "it was just that one time" excuse.

Sadly cheats continue to prosper in cycling
I believe "i just got caught one time" is probably more accurate.

they must think their viewers are fools.
inflammatory statement or idea

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Who else would they use - if you rule out all the Aussies who were caught or outed, those under suspicion and those who probably should be - then there would be nobody left.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cyclotaur

Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby cyclotaur » Thu May 28, 2015 1:49 pm

So much sanctimonious nitpicking and stone-throwing on here sometimes.

Plenty of people have made mistakes or misjudgements in their youth and hidden it out of shame, embarrassment, or to protect others. In many (perhaps most) cases they never have to admit to their mistakes publicly, and are never found out. Hopefully, in time, they manage to live reasonably happy and productive lives, safe in the knowledge that, through relative anonymity, their youthful errors will not adversely affect them or their nearest and dearest.

Ultimately O'Grady did not have this option, but he has IMHO bravely faced up to it and is doing the best he can to move along from that mistake.

He can't do any more to satisfy some people and nor should he bother with those who never will be satisfied.

I'm a SOG fan. I've read his book, I'm not happy he succumbed to temptation but I'm satisfied with his explanation. Even if I wasn't, at some point you have to accept what's done is done and allow people to move on to better things.

OTOH I find it harder to forgive the bigger players like LA, though I can see how his history, psychology and personality brought him to his level of doping and his eventual demise.

But I n the end it's simple enough to forgive people their mistakes if they are contrite and honest about them. It doesn't mean you approve of their bad behaviour, it just means you are generous enough to give them a break and a chance to do better in future.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu May 28, 2015 5:29 pm

O'Grady? Mistakes happen?

Quoted in 2008, on allowing Armstrong to ride the TDU
"I don't think Lance is a drug cheat, so I don't think he's got anything to hide," O'Grady told The Age yesterday.

"I think he's probably the most tested man on the planet by a long, long way and I'm sure now that he's announced that he's back in the game that they'll be really following him very closely and doing a lot of tests on him. I think it would have been wrong to not let him start."
:lol: :lol:

In 2008! When the only people who thought Armstrong was clean were in grade school!

There's no mistake when you stick a needle in your body. None. Nor is there anything brave in coming forward a few days or less before you're going to be exposed.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu May 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Well you certainly have a very cut and dried attitude.

Probably never been wrong about anything, I guess? Never needed to be cut a little slack?

Good on you. [emoji6]

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Thu May 28, 2015 9:38 pm

RonK wrote:
Who else would they use - if you rule out all the Aussies who were caught or outed, those under suspicion and those who probably should be - then there would be nobody left.
Why do they have to use a former rider at all? Keenan can hold his own and Verita Stewart is a real gem.

As to O'Grady bravely facing upto his past, he was forced into "confessing" thanks to the French releasing his 98 TDF samples containing EPO, he hasn't owned upto anything else so where is the bravery? Maybe if he had owned upto it all then people wouldn't be as fussed but he hasn't as yet so why should he profit from it? I have made plenty of mistakes in my life but I certaunly haven't profited of them like O'Grady has done and is continuing to do.
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 28, 2015 10:49 pm

I am taking on the feedback and see three things:

1 - What about all of the great riders who lost chances, careers and opportunities. When dopers prosper during and after their racing it feels hollow for these who can never get it back (many who may still be held in contempt for not playing ball).

2. Once... or thrice does it matter? Yes. Credibility is lost on the confession but the "I didn't inhale" or "It was only once" is hard to believe when every single doper only did it once or only ate Spanish or Chinese steak once. Like many others, it is hard to know whether we have the truth... or just part. Which part are we forgiving?

3. What are convicted and confessed dopers doing to put back into the sport? Not-for-profit, to make amends and recognising that they have taken from the sport unfairly and it is now time to give back with humility.

While I would like to feel the confession is complete, I don't know and it is hard to judge. But I can judge the character of an ex-doper on what they are doing now in being selfless and giving back to the sport. Some are putting back, but many are not.
Cycling is in my BNA

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 29, 2015 6:01 am

Strydz wrote: Why do they have to use a former rider at all? Keenan can hold his own and Verita Stewart is a real gem.

As to O'Grady bravely facing upto his past, he was forced into "confessing" thanks to the French releasing his 98 TDF samples containing EPO, he hasn't owned upto anything else so where is the bravery? Maybe if he had owned upto it all then people wouldn't be as fussed but he hasn't as yet so why should he profit from it? I have made plenty of mistakes in my life but I certainly haven't profited of them like O'Grady has done and is continuing to do.
+1, there is no "bravery" in making a half admission AFTER you've retired from the sport and with the knowledge that it's coming out in a matter of days anyway.
RonK wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing? We should get rid of all the unrepentant cheats so the sport can make a fresh start. Unless they are willing to really advocate for change a la David Millar they have no place in the sport.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri May 29, 2015 9:27 am

It's simplistic to assume behaviour is binary - right/wrong, black/white, yes/no etc.
It's just as simplistic to expect a complete transformation from secretive offender to model cycling citizen "giving back" to the sport, whatever the hell that means. Given we are all such ardent consumers of the sport to begin with, a sport that routinely chews up and spits out so many participants, who are we do decide who has adequately "given" enough to cycling before, during or after their active involvement?

We are all on a slippery slide with behaviour in all spheres of life and occasionally some of us take the fall. That doesn't need to be a one way trip, though, and unless we've been faced with the same situation ourselves I don't think it's reasonable to be so dogmatic and harsh in judging the behaviour of others.

My point is that if everyone took that binary judgemental approach to offenders there'd be no room for repentance/redemption at all. Even the apparently now sainted David Millar would have kept his counsel had he not had the support around him to 'fess up and move forward.

We need to give people the space and trust to confront their errors and move back to a better place. They may eventually admit even greater offences than they do initially, but not if they come to expect the same hysterical tar and feather, lynch mob reaction all over again.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri May 29, 2015 10:01 am

And just to illustrate the general point about the complexity of the whole issue and the hazards of rushing to judgement....

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/05/georg ... he-answer/

Not specifically applicable to SOG wrt the "offence" but pertinent to the "judgement" side of the equation.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 29, 2015 10:40 am

cyclotaur wrote:And just to illustrate the general point about the complexity of the whole issue and the hazards of rushing to judgement....

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/05/georg ... he-answer/

Not specifically applicable to SOG wrt the "offence" but pertinent to the "judgement" side of the equation.
Yeah, sure, it's all innocent. :lol: Another asthmatic pro-cyclist. Funny how half the peloton are asthmatic. I wonder why? Altitude tents and altitude training are designed to beat the biological passport.