Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

fat and old

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby fat and old » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:32 pm

I didn’t dope. I kissed my girlfriend passionately!!! Unfortunately she was sick and doesn’t like tablets so broke a few and put the contents on her tongue where I picked up traces. Really!

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/athletic ... 0oon3.html

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:48 am

fat and old wrote:I didn’t dope. I kissed my girlfriend passionately!!! Unfortunately she was sick and doesn’t like tablets so broke a few and put the contents on her tongue where I picked up traces. Really!

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/athletic ... 0oon3.html
Lucky the girlfriend wasn't taking medication via suppository.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:16 pm

I thought it was one of fat and olds ‘excuses’ at first.

A new one is the athlete with the pet dog. The dog goes walkabout through poppy fields, marijuana plantations and sometimes fields of ecstacy. Of course traits of these travel through hair folicals and onto the hands of the athelete who is vigorously patting their pet. They were then absorbed into the blood system as athlete and pet kicked off a marathon session of the Simpsons.
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:08 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I thought it was one of fat and olds ‘excuses’ at first.
I stopped making excuses in my early 20’s. There’s no point :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 pm

Follow up article from Corriere della Sera (translation using Google).

Doping, Froome on Twitter: "I will not pat". But numbers and tests are against him

Will it show that its value of salbutamol, more than double the limit, is due to a single body? On 10,000 tests a year for the substance, nobody touches that value.

The article of the Corriere della Sera I read this morning is completely false. " In the 50 days since the news of his positivity to salbutamol (December 13) Chris Froome (photo) had never touched the topic on Twitter. He did it Tuesday, denying that he was ready to admit the negligent use of the antiasthmatic Ventolin and to face a reduced disqualification, as anticipated by our daily newspaper.

So will Froome not suspend from the races, rejecting the invitation of the president of world cycling, David Lappartient ? And will it really go down in court to show that the 2,000 ng / ml of salbutamol (twice the limit) found in its urine at the Vuelta is the abnormal metabolic product of a use of Ventolin within the limits of the regulation? We'll know in a few days.

The appraisals kept in the Tas archives of Lausanne show that the task of Sky English counselors will be difficult . In international anti-doping laboratories an average of 8/10 thousand tests are performed for salbutamol per year: only 2 exceed 1000 ng / ml, none touches 2000. At the 2006 Turin Games, one participant in 100 salbutamol and no sample of urine exceeded 350 ng / ml. If he does not come to terms with sporting justice, Froome will have to prove for the umpteenth time that his body is unique in the world.

http://www.corriere.it/sport/18_gennaio ... 90d8.shtml

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 am

So everyone agrees that the Froome saga is dragging out, but I find it really odd that Sky are continuing on the merry path and getting him to ride whilst the AAF (or whatever the legal term is) hangs over him despite overwhelming public feedback.

Either they must be REALLY confident that they'll win or they are really stupid.

I honestly don't know which. :roll:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am

They are not stupid... but are trying to play the game. Look how long Armstrong stretched it out.

I want to know why this isn’t being settled once and for all, Froome is either penalised or cleared.

Simply annoys me to tears that he is now going into competition with dirty washing. There is too much toleration of uncertainty and not enough drive to get fast results and consequences by the governing body.

For honest athletes the testing and compliance is a burdon though also the unfortunate price that has to be paid to be a part.

While the information available about Froome doesn’t look good (and this is on top of the Wiggins saga, a murky history and very early speculation since their launch) would it not also be in his own interest to speed up the process and wait for the all-clear before getting back?
Cycling is in my BNA

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:01 am

I think Sky and Froome are just playing the rules. If you want to have a go at anyone, have a go at the rule makers. They could put it in the rules that anybody with adverse findings is suspended until resolved but they have not. I am no expert on this, but it seems to me the complicating issue is that the substance in question is not banned. It is an allowed substance up to a level. That level is specified in terms of the intake amount, but the adverse finding is in the output amount. Assumptions are made that normal people taking the limit of input will not go above a certain output, so the finding is adverse, but the rules is actually governing the input? It sounds like the rules need some clarification to streamline the process. I don't see how it is Froome or Sky's responsibility to act beyond the rules for the good of others. Sure a nice guy/team might, but they don't have to.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 am

AUbicycles wrote:I want to know why this isn’t being settled once and for all, Froome is either penalised or cleared.
Because in the case of a specified substance like salbutamol (as opposed to non-specified substances) an adverse analytical finding (AAF) does not automatically result in an anti doping rule violation (ADRV). The onus however does move to the athlete to demonstrate why it is not an ADRV, which is where Froome currently is and the time frame and process involves a course of natural justice within the limitations of the system. There is no set time frame for such things to be resolved although ultimately if inadequate reasoning is provided by the athlete to the relevant anti doping authority (or ultimately CAS), they will receive an ADRV.

Keep in mind that there are legitimate cases where an AAF for a specified substance has not resulted in an ADRV - and this is why these cases should be handled in confidence (this is a requirement in the anti doping regulations) as it would be unfair to the reputation of an athlete otherwise.

Naturally if they fail to demonstrate the legitimacy of their AAF, they will receive and ADRV and it then becomes public. The fact that Froome's AAF for a specified substance became public is itself a breach of anti doping process which should be a concern for the legitimacy of the anti doping process itself irrespective of the astounding level of the test result.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:07 am

To quote WADA:
The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is not consistent with therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of a therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.
It's pretty clear that to undergo such testing in a scientifically valid manner takes quite some time. How he's managed to do that in between his training in Africa, riding LeTapes in Australia, and racing crits in China and Japan one can only wonder.

Of course if no such testing is actually being done or scheduled, then the delays and decision to race on is farcical.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Inner Ring had a good writeup. Alex is right, that there is due process that has to be (and can be followed as Sky is doing), but at the end of the day, weight of opinion will, nay actually, caused the team and Froome harm.

It's sad, but that's the way the system is.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Thank you for the details.. it explains it but is unsatisfying as a cycling fan when watching sport where riders have question marks on their heads. Ithas really been like this as long as I have followed the sport so I don’t know why I am still expecting the sport to be able to clean itself up.
Cycling is in my BNA

Thoglette

Virenque: Froome should pledge to miss Tour de France

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Guimard: Team Sky don't care about the disastrous image they are presenting of cycling
Cycling news wrote: Virenque believes Froome should pledge to miss Tour de France unless case is resolved beforehand

French national coach Cyrille Guimard has criticised Team Sky’s decision to field Chris Froome at next week’s Ruta del Sol, and suggested other riders could refuse to compete against Froome or refuse to undergo anti-doping controls until the case is resolved.

While Guimard argued forcefully against Froome's return to competitive action in L'Équipe, Richard Virenque struck a more compromising tone in the same newspaper. The Frenchman suggested that Froome should be free to ride in early season races, but added that he should make a point of pledging not to ride the Giro d'Italia or Tour de France if the case is still not resolved by then.

"I don't see why he should withhold himself a race like the Ruta del Sol," Virenque said. "I'm not talking about the Tour de France or the Giro, but an early season race. It's exactly this kind of race that he should ride as much as possible while waiting for the end of the affair."
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 pm

It's a bit rich of Festina boy Virenque to suggest a rider not participate in a grand tour due to possible doping concern. Surely he takes out the hypocrite of the week award.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It's a bit rich of Festina boy Virenque to suggest a rider not participate in a grand tour due to possible doping concern. Surely he takes out the hypocrite of the week award.
+100.

Pot calling kettle black ...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:15 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:To quote WADA:
The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is not consistent with therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of a therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.
It's pretty clear that to undergo such testing in a scientifically valid manner takes quite some time. How he's managed to do that in between his training in Africa, riding LeTapes in Australia, and racing crits in China and Japan one can only wonder.
Doesn't wash, from any POV.

Riding the cycle is his employment. He's received the equivalent of a PIN. To continue employment you clear that PIN quick as you can, else you don't work. It's not a case of "I just have to finish the prep, then pour the slab". It's stop everything and ensure your compliance, then start again.

His occupation exists for the entertainment of others. Those spectators like it or not are the sole reason his type of employment exists. His employment type is riddled with examples of cheats, shiftys and liars. The consumers are sick of it, and require change. The team he belongs to promised that from it's inception. He has delivered enough interviews and victory speeches espousing his "cleanliness" to leave no doubt as to his attitude. He has little affinity with the "history" and "culture" of competitive cycling...it's a business to Froomay. Dollars and cents.....even moreso than Armstrong from what I've seen; so to take the attitude that he'll concentrate on the preparation for his next shift rather than ensuring that next shift is not negated by his PIN is ridiculous.
It's a bit rich of Festina boy Virenque to suggest a rider not participate in a grand tour due to possible doping concern. Surely he takes out the hypocrite of the week award.
:lol: :lol:

ASO at it's best, putting Virenque on the podium. In all seriousness, whilst it's good to go all Gaimon and carry on about cleanliness in cycling; with the largest promoter of cycling welcoming scumbags like Virenque based on his nationality and popularity into the fold, and the UCI taking Vinokourov and Ochiwiz's money, teams like Mitchelton paying Matt White and Bardiani racing last years Giro you have to take competetive Road Racing for what it is....entertainment along the lines of WWC wrestling. And I saw a little thing on cycling with Brad Wiggans last night. How in hell did he reach skeletor status for 2010/11? Look at him now.

At least Merckx, Indurain and a few others are clever enough to keep their mouths shut.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 am

How long until the headline "They Froomy under the bus"? Team Sky "totally back Chris Froome" - but only at this moment.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:53 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:It's a bit rich of Festina boy Virenque to suggest a rider not participate in a grand tour due to possible doping concern. Surely he takes out the hypocrite of the week award.
Well that's the first week that Brailsford/Team Sky haven't won that award.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:28 pm

fat and old wrote:To continue employment you clear that PIN quick as you can, else you don't work.
If you are a domestique, yes. But if you are the Golden Boy and have a track record of delivering the wins and getting the visibility that the sponsors want - the team will hold on much longer.

There is also a strong trend for teams to be comfortable with uncertainties and purveying this because absolute certainty is end-station (for the rider and the success that they bring to the team).
Cycling is in my BNA

kb

Postby kb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:How long until the headline "They Froomy under the bus"? Team Sky "totally back Chris Froome" - but only at this moment.
Bike Snob jumped on the headline straight away :-)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:39 pm

kb wrote:
find_bruce wrote:How long until the headline "They Froomy under the bus"? Team Sky "totally back Chris Froome" - but only at this moment.
Bike Snob jumped on the headline straight away :-)
The funniest comment I've seen was in response to a post saying that Froome would resume racing at the Ruta del Sol and show the peloton who was their daddy. The response, "Puff daddy"!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:01 pm

kb wrote:Bike Snob jumped on the headline straight away :-)
Yep, I blatantly ripped it off from bike snob

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Cycling Tips wrote:MASSIVE RAID REVEALS SYSTEMATIC DOPING PROGRAM WITHIN AMATEUR ITALIAN TEAM
by Neal Rogers

The death of 21-year-old cyclist Linas Rumsas in May 2017 prompted an investigation that led to a massive doping raid in Lucca, Italy, resulting in several arrests, Il Tirreno reported Thursday.

Central to the investigation is the Italian amateur team Altopack-Eppela squad Rumsas rode with prior to his death. In the weeks prior to his death from a heart attack, Rumsas had achieved some of his best results — in particularly hard races — prompting a doping investigation. That ultimately led to arrests of the team director, Elso Frediani, and team owner, Luca Franceschi, for administering substances including erythropoietin.

Altopack-Eppela was the team associated with the Velo Club Coppi Lunata. Other team staff arrested include Michele Viola, former rider and athletic trainer of the Altopack team, who sold EPO meant for the riders and instructed them on how to best beat anti-doping controls, as well as Andrea Bianchi, an amateur pharmacist and cyclist, who provided substances to be injected without the necessary medical prescription. During the investigation, 25 vials of EPO were seized, found in Viola Michele’s home refrigerator.

Also arrested were Franceschi’s parents, Narciso Franceschi and Maria Luisa Luciani, who own a residence available to the athletes where the doping substances were administered. Syringes, intravenous catheters, and several vials of EPO were found at their home. Other substances found at homes belonging to various riders include testosterone and growth hormones, powerful painkillers all held without a prescription, as well as a large number of syringes.

In addition to six arrests, 17 others are under investigation. Most of the riders who competed for the Altopack during the 2016 and 2017 cycling season must now defend themselves against legal charges of sporting fraud.

Click through to read the full report (in Italian) at Il Tirreno.com.
https://cyclingtips.com/news/massive-ra ... lian-team/