Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

jules21

Re: Crapola!!!....P.E.D's in Cycling

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 pm

biker jk wrote:In case anyone argues that the Athletes Biological Passport is effective in preventing doping have a read of the conclusion to a paper written by Dr Ashenden.

...The passport software did not flag any subjects as being suspicious of doping whilst they were receiving rhEPO. We conclude that it is possible for athletes to use rhEPO without eliciting abnormal changes in the blood variables currently monitored by the Athlete Blood Passport."
surely the question is: what degree of EPO can an athlete use before detection may occur? if the passport has reduced this amount to say - 10% of previous values under the 50% haematocrit threshold - then that would be a big win.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Hearing that Michael Rogers will not be suspended for his clenbuterol positive.

The UCI “found that that there was a significant probability that the presence of clenbuterol may have resulted from the consumption of contaminated meat from China – where he had taken part in a race before travelling to Japan.”

Strange that the UCI still stripped him of his win at the Japan Cup. A bet each way. :roll:

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Not really. He had a banned substance in his system, so an unfair advantage was possible during the race, therefore it is inappropriate to award the win to him during this time. This is understandable. But due to the fact his consumption of the substance was highly likely to have come from contaminated meat and was not his fault or negligence, he was not sanctioned.

Great news.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 am

Red Rider wrote:Not really. He had a banned substance in his system, so an unfair advantage was possible during the race, therefore it is inappropriate to award the win to him during this time. This is understandable. But due to the fact his consumption of the substance was highly likely to have come from contaminated meat and was not his fault or negligence, he was not sanctioned.

Great news.
Perhaps my point wasn't clear so let me explain it. The UCI can with confidence find a miniscule amount of clenbuterol in Rogers' system and be sure it's performance enhancing (hence stripping him of his win) but then has doubts about how the clenbuterol got into his system. If there's going to be this doubt about contamination via tainted meat in certain countries then perhaps a threshold for clenbuterol needs to be introduced. Personally, I don't like the current system which leaves the UCI with too much discretion to issue a ban or otherwise when clenbuterol is involved (EU clean, China tainted). Moreover, what about the other riders that consumed meat from China but never tested positive for clenbuterol?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:58 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Bruyneel's complaint about jurisdiction is nonsense and is well and truly dealt with under the UCI's anti-doping regulations (which every UCI licence holder agrees to when they take a licence).

The ADA that uncovers a (non-sample positive) doping infraction or evidence of such has the jurisdiction, irrespective of the country of the ADA or the nationality of the alleged doper.
Of course, you're right. I'd forgotten that.

In any case, he's now admitted to it in the public domain with this complaint, which makes the jurisdictional argument irrelevant anyway. :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:14 am

Someone spiked my steak!
Do pro cyclists still eat beef?

Cyclists (and other athletes) rarely take drinks from spectators these days, what else is on the no go, no eat, no touch list?
Cycling is in my BNA

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:51 am

Pretty much any meat product in China or Mexico [FLUSHED FACE]
Cycling Tips has an interesting article on this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 21, 2014 2:53 pm

For once their is a story about doing that doesn't involve cyclists - WADA bans inhalation of xenon and argon gases.

Only downside is that, so far as I am aware, unless you catch someone with a bottle of xenon, there is no test for it, just the hope that its affects might show up in an athlete's biological passport.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 21, 2014 3:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:For once their is a story about doing that doesn't involve cyclists - WADA bans inhalation of xenon and argon gases.

Only downside is that, so far as I am aware, unless you catch someone with a bottle of xenon, there is no test for it, just the hope that its affects might show up in an athlete's biological passport.
The Garmin team doctor implied they considered its use but decided against it and called for it to be banned. I wouldn't be surprised if several teams were using it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed May 21, 2014 3:30 pm

It was already banned, WADA just named them specifically as examples of a already prohibited method. Not being able to test for something isn't a reason not to prohibit its use though. EPO was prohibited well before there were tests for it, and rightly so.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:46 pm

After Froome's use of an inhaler at the Dauphine we learn that he used a corticosteroid at the Tour of Romandie.

http://www.lejdd.fr/Sport/Cyclisme/Chri ... UCI-671565

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/report- ... e-romandie

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:49 pm

Diego Ulissi returns positive for elevated Salbutamol levels at Giro Italia

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/diego-u ... ro-ditalia

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:18 am

Kreuziger found to have breached biological passport. Tinkoff-Saxo pulls him from TDF team.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kreuzig ... ance-squad

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Remember how Simon Gerrans passed the yellow jersey to Daryl Impey of ORICA-GreenEDGE which made him the first South African cyclist to wear yellow?

Impey hasn't been included in the Tour de France roster this year (announced yesterday) and perhaps the reason is a positive doping test announced by the team today
ORICA-GreenEDGE wrote:ORICA-GreenEDGE has been notified that Daryl Impey has returned an adverse analytical finding and has been notified by The South African Institute for a Drug-Free sport that he delivered a positive A and B sample for the substance Probecenid after the South African Championships on February 6, 2014.

The team would like to underline that it respects Daryl Impey’s right to prove his full innocence and will not comment any further until the process has run its due course and final conclusion has been made.

As per the team’s code of conduct, Daryl Impey will not feature on the team’s roster until the case has been closed and he is fully eligible to ride.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:46 am

Unless he has gout - it doesn't seem good.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 82395.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 am

It's used as a masking agent. Schoolboy error by a pro who can normally avoid detection. Delgado (TdF '88) and Garzelli (early 2000s) had same drug.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 am

It's also used to improve the retention and effectiveness of other drugs eg. Antibiotics, so there may be a reasonable explanation for its presence. However, also regarded as a masking agent for illegal PEDs and therefore, as mentioned above, schoolboy error to use this drug if you're a pro cyclist.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 am

g-boaf wrote:Unless he has gout - it doesn't seem good.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 82395.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He. He. In any case there's no TUE.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:56 am

Besides it's infrequent use as a masking agent, it's an older anti-inflammatory the can be bought over the counter in many places, for minor aches and pains...

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:28 pm

cyclotaur wrote:It's also used to improve the retention and effectiveness of other drugs eg. Antibiotics, so there may be a reasonable explanation for its presence. However, also regarded as a masking agent for illegal PEDs and therefore, as mentioned above, schoolboy error to use this drug if you're a pro cyclist.

Every time you give a sample, you also provide details of any and all medications or supplements you have used or taken, and this information is taken into account when samples are tested and a doping infraction is commenced. In case of probenecid, that should have been easy even if it were some contaminated supplement, since it's got a metabolic half life of hours, he'd have to have ingested it on the day or day before perhaps to have gone positive. Hence why tests on subsequent days were clear.

If Impey needed antibiotics and probenecid, then that should have been noted, and the probenecid would have required a TUE.

If he really was ill enough to require antibiotics and a booster, then he did very well to win the national TT championship on the day of the positive sample.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes, well, I have no idea how or why Impey tested positive for it. Seems to me that things can go a bit pear shaped when the pros head home for NatChamps away from their teams.

2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:35 pm

I have just put a review up on BNA for the film soon to be released on DVD - The Armstrong Lie

Infact, I think many will enjoy the review - even if it does take us back to that dark dark place.

I also have 5 copies of The Armstrong Lie DVD to give away - you can take part here, and also on the BNA Twitter and BNA Facebook pages to increase your chances. While I don't expect to see the same jubilation in winning this DVD as... say... winning the Tour de France, but the film is well made, the story familiar and not every night can be party night.

For a chance, name one team for which Armstrong rode in the Tour de France.
Ends August 14 and Terms and Conditions apply.
Cycling is in my BNA

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:53 pm

AUbicycles wrote:For a chance, name one team for which Armstrong rode in the Tour de France.
Motorola

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:48 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:For a chance, name one team for which Armstrong rode in the Tour de France.
Motorola
Team RadioShack
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:06 pm

AUbicycles wrote: For a chance, name one team for which Armstrong rode in the Tour de France.
US Postal