Criterium du Dauphine 2016

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Criterium du Dauphine 2016

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:01 am

As the race that traditionally defines the top contenders and often winners of the Tour de France, the Criterium du Dauphine is almost finished and Chris Froome (Sky) has a 21 second lead over ex-team mate Riche Port (BMC) and Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale). Dan Martin is at 30 seconds and I am personally not disappointed that Contador is behind, preferring riders who don't get mixed up with the wrong sort of beef.

In any case, Froome is strong and does it mean that with his form he has the Tour de France in the bag?

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

march83

Re: Criterium du Dauphine 2016

Postby march83 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:19 am

Bah! Froome's TUEs for corticosteroid use are equally as dodgy as Bertie and the dirty meat. I can't help but see them both as tainted in someway.

I reckon Porte showed today why he's not and possibly never will be ready to win a GT - he just can't seem to hack back to back days in he hills. Maybe he's not made that way or he doesn't have enough GTs in his legs or whatever but I don't see him surviving this year's tour without at least one day where he blows and gives away minutes.

It's been interesting seeing Rolland in Cannondale colours doing things slightly differently and maybe he'll be a more consistent, better supported rider who can actually grab a decent finishing position this time around.

My hopes are that Quintana has spent the last 11 months working on his TT and maintaining position in the bunch in the first week. With those 2 in check and Valverde genuinely riding to support him, i think he has a great chance to win this time around despite the parcours suiting Froome a bit better.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:25 am

Quintana any day over Froome, a far more interesting rider.
Can't say anything about the speculation, but for my own joy and entertainment, would like to see more challengers at the top.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:04 pm

march83 wrote:I reckon Porte showed today why he's not and possibly never will be ready to win a GT - he just can't seem to hack back to back days in he hills. Maybe he's not made that way or he doesn't have enough GTs in his legs or whatever but I don't see him surviving this year's tour without at least one day where he blows and gives away minutes.
Sadly I think you're right. It must be incredibly frustrating to be close but not quite good enough. The excuses have started early this year.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:11 pm

It's clear that Porte will never win a GT when up against the likes of Froome and Contador (and perhaps Nibali too). Perhaps his best chance is 2-3 years time when those guys have retired but none of the current crop of up and comers are ready. I can't otherwise see why BMC bothered. He must be a long term project for them because it's not going to happen in the short term.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:10 pm

It could be experience, being the leading man is different from the work of a domestique.

I am afraid I didn't catch much of this on TV and am curious whether Porte had the team support he needed. Cadel had a tough time in BMC as other teams were simply stronger in supporting their captains.
Cycling is in my BNA