Olympics

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Olympics

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 am

find_bruce wrote:In the velodrome, team GB are smashing it. Aussie mens team sprint wasn't quite up to it & both pursuit teams were off the pace & will have to significantly lift their performance if they want to challenge.
Cav is going to nut anyone who underperforms in TeamGB. He walked out of Beijing without a medal and he wasn't happy about it because everyone else had one. Despite having a palmares anyone here would envy, he still wants an olympic gold to go with all of the rainbow jerseys he has. He's doing it the hard way, too, in the omnium, so best of luck to him.

It's a bloody disgrace that the madison isn't an olympic event anymore. Wiggo and Cav are dual world champs in that. It would have been great to see them up there again.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:22 am

Bugger about Meares & Morton. Worst performance though was Phil Liggat - thought he was commenting on the Women's team pursuit. Pity it was the team sprint. I would have thought the number of riders was a giveaway :roll:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Controversy at the velodrome: Female Dutch rider Laurine van Riessen discovered with the biggest balls of any athlete.

Dodgy video: https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/76 ... l4RlqT.mp4

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Gives new meaning to taking someone high on the banking.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:51 pm

Was watching that last night when it happened she was as solid as a rock even when she camd back down to the timber.

Ricky

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:51 am

Now that is what you call 'bike handling' !!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 am

That was amazing.

So good to see Anna Meares get the kieren bronze, she is my daughter's new hero :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:
cp123 wrote:Finally probably close to 90 seconds, or 2 mins longer a crash crew stop for her. In hindsight though, lying there when you’ve got 4 broken vertebrae is probably the best thing. Just appeared to be totally shocking that none of the organisers appeared to be any use……
Totally not!!!!

Not having a go at you, as you are saying what most people believe....and this is why I wish basic first aid was taught in schools!
Many think if someone has a possible spinal injury, they shouldn't be moved or interfered with by first aiders. NOT TRUE!
Think it through.
what's going to kill you first? paralysed legs or not breathing?

even if the spinal cord risks being damaged at the neck with first aid, if the patient is not breathing, they are going to die or suffer severe brain and other organ damage. so you always take that risk to prioritize the following chart.

if you suspect spinal trauma, when moving to ensure an open airway, do it with support of the head, neck and spine (preferably by 1 or 2 helpers). The idea is to prevent any increase into awkward rotation or side bending or extreme forward or rearward tilting of any part of the spine. Though the head may have to be tilted back slightly to get the airway clear.

A first aider should have been with that girl immediately, protecting her from riders and vehicles, checking her response and breathing, and pulse.....and anyone who abused them should have been told to come and help, or frig off. it's very common to have onlookers freak out and abuse those trying to give first aid. they are doing it out of ignorance and fear.

As for not intefering or beginning DRSABCD until the medics arrived, wrong again. What if they don't arrive for 3, 4, 5 minutes? How does a first aider standing nearby know when medics are going to arrive. It is critical DRSABCD start without delay. Severe brain damage or death can occur within 5 minutes of cardiac arrest.

BTW, congrats to Fabian!

I know all that. but I could see she was breathing on the video. And yes, it did look almost agonal at times but again, she'd just ridden flat knacker up the other side of that hill. But yes, she could just as easily have stopped breathing too. Had that been me there when it happened, I would've put the bloody camera down and at least make sure she was safe, breathing and reassured and not moved unless absolutely necessary. The point was, if all the above ABCD etc is working and there is not a risk of danger, I would not have moved her. But I sure as shazbutts wouldn't have left her there for 90 seconds either.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:25 am

How the hell did Cav not get DQd from the Omnium for dropping down on the Korean during the points race?!

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rio-2016/a/ ... ium/#page8

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:46 am

Gunlock wrote:How the hell did Cav not get DQd from the Omnium for dropping down on the Korean during the points race?!

I went to bed before that, so thanks for supplying the video link. What a goose. That was either blatant cheating or an unfortunate accident. Given that Cav isn't riding D Grade at the local flat track (where that would still not have been on) I don't think he has an excuse for that. Good to see Viviani get back for gold after an excellent kilo. Shame about O'Shea, he was doing quite well and I thought he might sneak in for a bronze.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:17 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Controversy at the velodrome: Female Dutch rider Laurine van Riessen discovered with the biggest balls of any athlete.

Would like to see the 10 seconds prior, I'm guessing there was a wheel touch or the like that sent the rider up the track knocking one rider over and another onto the fence
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Controversy at the velodrome: Female Dutch rider Laurine van Riessen discovered with the biggest balls of any athlete.

Would like to see the 10 seconds prior, I'm guessing there was a wheel touch or the like that sent the rider up the track knocking one rider over and another onto the fence
There was two lasses went down due to a wheel touch those up there on the rail were the lucky ones to be caught in it but stayed upright ending up where they were Mike.

Ricky

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Actually it was poor riding by the French girl . . . she got forced down off the track at the end of the straight and then found herself on that nasty bit where the flat floor meets the 42 degree bank. She lost balance and started heading Up the track, leaning all over the riders above her. She kept leaning on this Dutch girl - from the bottom black line she forced her right up the track and onto the hoarding. Only when the Dutch lady actually went up the hoarding did she finally free herself of the French parasite!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:46 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Gunlock wrote:How the hell did Cav not get DQd from the Omnium for dropping down on the Korean during the points race?!

I went to bed before that, so thanks for supplying the video link. What a goose. That was either blatant cheating or an unfortunate accident. Given that Cav isn't riding D Grade at the local flat track (where that would still not have been on) I don't think he has an excuse for that. Good to see Viviani get back for gold after an excellent kilo. Shame about O'Shea, he was doing quite well and I thought he might sneak in for a bronze.
That was ridiculous, clearly should have been penalised at the very least.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:12 pm

Still trying to figure out what the derny driver supposedly did wrong in the first 2 attempts at the mens Keirin final. It seemed to me that he maintained a steady pace & pulled off at the right point & it was just riders trying to get a jump.

Happy to be corrected by the numerous people who know more than I do. Anyone game to step in before Marcus gives the correct answer ?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:48 pm

find_bruce wrote:Still trying to figure out what the derny driver supposedly did wrong in the first 2 attempts at the mens Keirin final. It seemed to me that he maintained a steady pace & pulled off at the right point & it was just riders trying to get a jump.

Happy to be corrected by the numerous people who know more than I do. Anyone game to step in before Marcus gives the correct answer ?
That's Sir Jason to you, scum. I didn't see it since they redacted that part from the replay online, but the rules state that you can't go past the derny.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:34 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:That's Sir Jason to you, scum. I didn't see it since they redacted that part from the replay online, but the rules state that you can't go past the derny.
I didn't realise he would get a title once he marries Dame Laura :wink:

My point was that 3 riders went past the derny before it was off the track - first time was Kenny & Awang and second attempt it was the German Eilers. None of them got DQ'd & the only explanation I have seen is some handwaving about it being the derny drivers fault.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:06 pm

find_bruce wrote: Happy to be corrected by the numerous people who know more than I do. Anyone game to step in before Marcus gives the correct answer ?
haha cheers mate. I didn't see the first 2 either but I can guess what happened. The derny was going too slow.
When I am in control of a keiren my speeds go like this;

I approach the riders at 35kph and build to 40 by the backstraight. You need to do this to allow the riders to slot into a spot. If the derny is too slow everyone ends up next to each other and get stuck 2 abreast.
So thats 40kph at 5 and a half to go.
Build to 45kph by 4 and a half to go.
Then 50kph at 3 and a half laps to go.
Then 55kph at 2 and a half to go.
As I hit the back straight I accelerate off the track on almost full throttle. Im doing 60 when I hit the brakes on the infield. Its my job to get out of their way at that point.

These guys are the fastest and best in the world. Its not a sprint, its a keirin, which is a loooong sprint. Keirins do not suit riders with a fast jump. They suit guy like Sid Patterson, like Chris Hoy, who can go LONG. I mean like 600 metres, not a flying 200. The exit speed has to be FAST. The idea of the derny is to control the speed and build the pace. If a couple of riders want to jockey for positions at 5 and a half or 4 and a half to go, thats fine, but in my world you need to get that sorted quick because you are going to cop some serious wind resistance sitting out of the line at 50 or 55. And thats how its supposed to be.... get into line before the speeds get serious!

I dunno how you qualify to be a derny driver at these championships. This guy was too slow at the start of the 7-12 final where Glaetzer basically ran up the back of someone, and was too slow with his exit speed (maybe the electric bike is gutless). But yes I think it was probably his fault.

I went to the Austral the year before last and (among other things) watched all the keirin races there, at a huge championship at a sold out standing room only Hisense Arena. After watching the first keirin I pulled out my stopwatch and started getting lap splits for the derny driver. His first lap was 40 and his last lap was 40, in every keirin from D grade right up to the best elites in the country. I could have thrown my hot dog at the guy. I would have given my right arm to do that job and do it properly, differentiating the speeds slightly slower for the lower grades, faster for the better guys. Frustrating.

Look the Rio guy wasnt too bad. But its the Olympics so it has to be perfect. And it wasnt (in my opinion).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:53 pm

They should have someone with half a brain, doing these things, DD! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:37 pm

Any comments about the success of UK postal, sorry Team GB in the track cycling?

Certainly some interesting comments but I was particularly interested by this one:
France's sprint coach, former Olympic gold medallist Laurent Gané, has told reporters here in French: "The recipe should be asked for from our neighbours because I don't understand. I don't know what they're doing. I'd love to know. These are teams that do nothing extraordinary for four years and once they arrive at the Olympics they out-class the rest of the world."
It does seem somewhat amazing that the marginal gains are only evident at the Olympics. I do wonder sometimes, which is a pity really.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:59 am

they are funded out of the national lottery and the amount allocated to a sport is based on medals won

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... medal-rush
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... pic-medals

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:36 am

Derny Driver wrote:Look the Rio guy wasnt too bad. But its the Olympics so it has to be perfect. And it wasnt (in my opinion).
His name is Ivo Siebert, if you want to give him some tips: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016 ... 7UQmPl95ph

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:03 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:Look the Rio guy wasnt too bad. But its the Olympics so it has to be perfect. And it wasnt (in my opinion).
His name is Ivo Siebert, if you want to give him some tips: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016 ... 7UQmPl95ph
Yeah saw that article last week.
He owns a bike shop. And is a semi-professional rider.
Hardly impressive credentials to get that job.

So they just grab some local bloke to do the job because its obviously a low priority ... until they get 2 re-runs and a bloke falls off.

If a Pro wants to do a derny race, a motorpace race, a world dernypaced hour record - they pay big dollars and get the BEST in the business. But the Olympics, nah, get the guy from the local bike shop.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm sitting here donating blood watching the time trial BMX wondering how much tech is in these bikes. Carbon frames or wheels? Clippy pedals?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Just saw the crash that Cavendish caused. What was he thinking?

http://cycling-today.com/video-cavendis ... ints-race/
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?