Vuelta 2016

AndrewCowley

Re: Vuelta 2016

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:07 pm

I like Froome but the Sky blow up was awesome to watch. Great seeing Froome on the radio at the start of the stage. His team was AWOL for a change.

One of the best GT stages in recent years. Hopefully the TdF organisers take note. Short stage with an uphill start. Maybe there should be more GT stages like this.

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:50 pm

Fyi .. Vuelta Stage 16 live stream on SBS Cycling Stream starts at 10.50pm AEST. On TV, it's 11.20pm AEST. I hope they'll show the remaining race days too.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:19 am

Great vid from OBE - shows how relaxed they were about the outcome, and a learning experience. Chaves is just really relaxed !! Think it would have been a different discussion in the Sky camp that night !!!

Looking fwd to seeing what happens in the next few stages.

I've been an anti Clenbutador person for a while, but despite his dodginess, I do love his style, flair and tactics. He may go down, but it's often swinging. Unlike the other Spanish doper, Piti.

Anyway, Stages 14 & 15 were great, hopefully see some other fireworks before the ITT, as there are plenty that are close to the podium.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:57 pm

This Vuelta is shaping up to be all that the Tour was suppose to be and wasn't! Quintana attacking, Froome on the ropes, but still with a chance to claw back in TT. Loving it!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:53 am

I see that Froome is reported as saying that he'd eliminate the riders that missed the time cut. Yeah, right :roll:

After the decision has been made.

I understand why they let them in, but think it was a fine line as they didn't really try and make the cut.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Haven't watched last night's stage yet, but it seems the fireworks hoped for didn't quite eventuate :?

Sounds like Contador & Chaves tried, but couldn't get rid of the other two, so top 4 status unchanged. Not likely to change tonight either, so its see what the ITT brings and then final survival on St 20.

Go Esteban !!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Can't say not disappointed that Nairo still in lead. Bugger that Chaves slipped one, but still a damned good effort.

Trying to stay up to watch stage tonight. Should be interesting on last climb !!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:25 am

Cracker of a stage !!

Yay for Estaban and REALLY upset that Piti lost Green .....

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm impressed with Chaves, I didn't think he had any chance of making up more than a minute on clembutador, but Orica had a plan and he executed it well.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Yep, great last stage that mattered. Froome certainly threw everything at Quintana and he held on and passed Froome at the end.

But, the very fact Quintana passed Froome at the top of the hill got me thinking. Quintana managed to get some time on Froome . . . all of 2 seconds. If that is the sort of time gain Quintana can get over Froome at the Vuelta, where Froome doesn't have the super team he gets at the Tour, then I really can't see how Quintana can gain enough time to compensate for the time trial and win the Tour. Quintana won the Vuelta because he made time as part of a breakaway, something I reckon Team Sky would have the ability to shut down at the Tour.

Not really sure what the answer is, but unless Quintana and Movistar can find a way to take a few minutes off Froome at the Tour I can't see how he can beat Froome. I suppose it has long been the case that the time trialers will win as long as they can limit the losses up the hills.

Still, great win for Quintana and Movistar and an exciting Vuelta, I do like the Vuelta as it tends to be more exciting than the Tour.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:20 am

Great team effort by Orica to get Chaves back on the podium. The Backstage pass is brilliant - shows the planning and effort involved to achieve this.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:52 am

To see how much Power buried himself for Chaves was brilliant, especially when he went so deep he actually had to stop !!! That's team effort there.

Great stage to watch and also see that Bertie didn't give up at the end, and to miss the podium by 13s would be hard.

Wonder what would have happened in the final stage if St1415 break didn't work ? Would Quintana have been able to take the time required to overhaul Froome ? He would have had the team mates to do it ?!?