2017 Giro route

MichaelB

2017 Giro route

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:37 am

Well, some news leaked out, and some of it is here

Best bit, imho, is what appears to be the Queen stage with a double ascent of Stelvio !!

They apparently do the Bormio side (after doing Mortirolo as well), descend down the Umbrail pass (been there, done that :mrgreen: ) and then reascend the Stelvio from Prato (also been there done that :mrgreen: ) weather permitting of course.

Can't wait for that one, and may even get a subscription to Eurosport to watch the full stage ......

madmacca

Re: 2017 Giro route

Postby madmacca » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:07 am

MichaelB wrote:Well, some news leaked out, and some of it is here

Best bit, imho, is what appears to be the Queen stage with a double ascent of Stelvio !!

They apparently do the Bormio side (after doing Mortirolo as well), descend down the Umbrail pass (been there, done that :mrgreen: ) and then reascend the Stelvio from Prato (also been there done that :mrgreen: ) weather permitting of course.

Can't wait for that one, and may even get a subscription to Eurosport to watch the full stage ......
Not sure that they have published their coverage schedule, but you can probably live stream the entire stage from SBS on demand. Not sure of the degree of difficulty with your setup to display this on a large screen TV - subscribing may just be easier?

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Is it true that SBS will NOT broadcast the 2017 Giro?
I just asked them on FB & waiting reply.
I've heard they are not, but unconfirmed (to me) so far.

If the Giro is not on SBS it'l be a blow to me personally. Because it'll also mean that Keeno and the rag-tag collection of ex Aussie bike riders - cum - presenters are all out of work during the month of May... So watching the Giro on something else like Euro=sport is such a poor 2nd rate experience...
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 pm

I'd be surprised if that was the case

weme2b

Postby weme2b » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Marx wrote:Is it true that SBS will NOT broadcast the 2017 Giro?
I just asked them on FB & waiting reply.
I've heard they are not, but unconfirmed (to me) so far.

If the Giro is not on SBS it'l be a blow to me personally. Because it'll also mean that Keeno and the rag-tag collection of ex Aussie bike riders - cum - presenters are all out of work during the month of May... So watching the Giro on something else like Euro=sport is such a poor 2nd rate experience...
I've also asked SBS on FB, and have been told that SBS will not be showing any of the Italian races this year, including the Giro and Strade Bianche.

It looks like Eurosport has exclusive rights until 2020, based on this article: http://au.eurosport.com/cycling/eurospo ... tory.shtml

This makes me sad. I do love Matt Keenan et al, and I don't think I'll be able to watch these races at all for the next 3 years.

Does anyone know how you actually get Eurosport in Australia? Their website doesn't tell me anything, except that Eurosport Player is not available in my country.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:40 pm

weme2b wrote:I've also asked SBS on FB, and have been told that SBS will not be showing any of the Italian races this year, including the Giro and Strade Bianche.
Wow, that's really sad. I'm very time-poor these days and I've been watching the SBS highlights packages for the TDU and all 3 Grand Tours for the last 3 years or so. Now I'm not sure how I'm going to see any of the Giro... cyclingtorrents I guess...
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:13 pm

To confirm, as mentioned above, SBS wont do Giro in 2017, 2018...
I asked about the spring classics as well, They have this on their website:

Tour of Flanders Sunday, 2 April
Paris-Roubaix Sunday, 9 April
Amstel Gold Sunday, 16 April
Liege-Bastogne-Liege Sunday, 23 April
Eschborn-Frankfurt Monday, 1 May
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:49 pm

BUGGER !!!!

Are they streaming via their tracker then ?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:37 pm

I've been using Tiz cycling for catchups and other races shown live. He may show the Giro live but it will probably be available for viewing later based on previous years. Another benefit is that you get different commentators if you're not a fan of the SBS roster.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:18 am

So hopefully for those of us who have Foxtel, the Giro will be shown in full on Eurosport.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 am

AndrewCowley wrote:So hopefully for those of us who have Foxtel, the Giro will be shown in full on Eurosport.
Don't have it and won't get it because I want just the one channel, and you can't do that.

So I need another option.

Any update whether their tracker app will have the streaming feed, as that worked for me last time.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I much prefer the Eurosport commentators, especially Sean Kelly.

Phil and Paul should have retired years ago. They make so many mistakes that sometimes you wonder if they are watching the same race. I am looking forward to them going one day because I quite like Keenan and think he does a better job.

http://www.steephill.tv/ usually have links to whatever live streaming is available for most races. They also have a non-spoiler section for videos, so if you miss a race you can watch a clip of the last kms without already knowing who won.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Sharkey wrote:I much prefer the Eurosport commentators, especially Sean Kelly......
Me too. Eurosport/Foxtel have so much cycling on it's worth the Foxtel subs I reckon.

But then I watch the cricket (live from India, for example) and a fair bit of AFL as well, so.... :D
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 am

OK, after suffering through trying to get streaming to work via Steephill.tv and semi-failing, how do i get a reliable service to watch the Giro ?

Is getting Foxtel + Eurosport the ONLY way ? Reliably, I mean. :?

I got the stream to work for a few seconds with 23km to go at Milan-Sanremo, but then it froze and couldn't get it back :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:58 pm

I don't stream the races that often as I have Foxtel/Eurosport but the times I have it seemed to start patchy then settle down. Most of the streaming I have done has been when I have been at work and races are on, like Tour Down Under or Tour of California or Tour of Utah (the end of US races are usually on in the morning so I get to work early to watch these).

The only European race I have streamed was some of the Vuelta last year, but I was in Italy at the time, so maybe it's less reliable on our crappy internet here in Aus.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 am

Hiya Sharkey,

So what is the cost of the Foxtel/Eurosport package ?

Don't want to go that route, but don't want the frustration when watching the Queen stage of the Giro either.

Can't do the work option, as they monitor the internet usage. Even do a monthly report of top 10's !!! :shock:

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:26 am

Foxtel Play have a 2 week free trial at the moment. Not sure if they will come Giro time. It seems you can cancel out at the end of the two weeks at no cost. I wonder if we were to start the trial at the right time during the Giro if we could use the trial to watch the last two weeks of the Giro and then cancel?

Does anyone know if Foxtel play can support either on demand watching of the Giro, or recording to watch later. I am not a watch until all hours of the morning type of person. I normally record and watch the next day, but not sure if this can be done?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Thought I almost found a solution here, CyclingTV.info, but whilst they have some good races, No Giro :cry:

Amongst others, there is
Giro del Trentino, Clasiica de San Sebastian, Cyclassics Hamburg, Coppa Agostoni & Bernocchi, Giro dell'Emilia, Tre Valli Varesine, and plenty of BMX & CX, at USD$30/yr or USD$10 per 1/4.

Actually have a load more per this page, but no Giro or Vuelta, but there is a catch

"Live races are broadcast to USA and Canada only
Extended Highlights are available in USA and Canada only
Short Highlights, Features and Interviews are available Worldwide
Every live race is available On Demand immediately after the broadcast
Races covered live are indicated with "LIVE" below"

Yet, Foxsports where you will get the Giro & Vuelta and 50 live events.

Seems this may be the only reliable way of doing it, so will investigate this a bit further.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:45 pm

Sorry Michael, I'm not sure of the cost of Foxtel. There are lots of different packages and it can be bundled with Telstra home and mobile phones so it could vary from person to person.

Vosadrian, I can't answer your question either but i regularly watch cycling races the next morning from steephill.tv. They have a non-spoiler mode so you can go and select a video to watch and not see who won the stage. Sometimes they have full, on demand stages but not always, and sometimes they are restricted to certain countries - so it can be hit and miss. I have been watching the Volta a Catalunya from there this week. They have had a link to the last 25-40km of each stage (recorded from Eurosport) which is usually the bit you want to see anyway.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Made the mistake of ringing Foxtel to get a better understanding of the process, but instead got the hard sell and a promise of free installation.

In the end, I just said I was thinking about it, and the sell tactics dropped real quick.

Still working out what to do :cry:

Inner Ring then did this piece about the Eurosport deal.

May even consider the VPN route with some help from a mate :?

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Any solutions to watch the Giro been found? Currently I am pinning my hopes on steephil.tv

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:57 am

Looked into setting up a VPN, but in the end will settle of Foxtel Player.

Have used Steephill before, but getting the feeds to sometimes work is a pain.

Will setup Foxtel player this weekend and give it a go, so have some time to get it sorted before the Giro.

MichaelB

2017 Giro Roadbook now available

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:55 pm

For those that are interested, the 2017 Giro roadbook is now available to downl;oad from link below (50 off MB pdf)

http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-conten ... ancate.pdf

One thing I noted, the double ascent of the Stelvio on Stage 16 is now gone :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :( :(

What was going to be a 227km brute with 5,400m of climbing, is now only 132km and goes over the Passo della Mendola (1,363m) and Fai della Paganella (994m).

Interestingly, the "official"Giro site still shows the Stelvio version .....

Sharkey

Re: 2017 Giro Roadbook now available

Postby Sharkey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 pm

MichaelB wrote:For those that are interested, the 2017 Giro roadbook is now available to downl;oad from link below (50 off MB pdf)

http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-conten ... ancate.pdf

One thing I noted, the double ascent of the Stelvio on Stage 16 is now gone :evil: :evil: :evil: :( :( :(

What was going to be a 227km brute with 5,400m of climbing, is now only 132km and goes over the Passo della Mendola (1,363m) and Fai della Paganella (994m).

Interestingly, the "official"Giro site still shows the Stelvio version .....
Your link is to the 2016 version. This is the 2017 version:

http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-conten ... i_2017.pdf

MichaelB

Re: 2017 Giro Roadbook now available

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Sharkey wrote:
Your link is to the 2016 version. This is the 2017 version:

http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-conten ... i_2017.pdf
:shock: :roll: