2017 Giro route

MichaelB

Re: 2017 Giro route

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 12, 2017 8:41 am

Free trial + 1 month is the deal. $10 for the base choice and $29 for the sports pack.

It's not $75 a month.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 am

ah yeah, thats much cheaper, I was looking t maybe getting it last year and the minium it cost was $75. $40 is almost doable, especially without having to get all the other junk (boxes etc) and being able cancel any time (end of season). hmmm
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Mate mentioned on the ride this morning that Steephill feeds have been stopped due to copyright or similar.

Wondered how long it would take.

Anyway, yay for Caleb. Bloody close, but it's still a win !!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Mate mentioned on the ride this morning that Steephill feeds have been stopped due to copyright or similar.

Wondered how long it would take.

Anyway, yay for Caleb. Bloody close, but it's still a win !!!!

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Sun May 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Grog wrote:
Excellent! Many, many thanks.
+1 :D

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 am

And "Whitey" has a big whine about Quintana attacking on Blockhaus. :lol:

Does he not remember his own somewhat dodgy past whilst riding on USPS? What a hypocrite.

Race was on. Even Sky wore it.

Edit: like Nibali would have slowed anyway. :lol:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 15, 2017 8:43 am

Bugger of a way to get the GC shaken up.

Whether they 'should have' vs 'could have' is another matter, and I'm leaning towards, 'sometimes poo happens'.

Some big gaps even without the accident. TVG is a classic example. Seems his days as a GC contender are in smoke. BMC to go stage hunting now.

The TT result will be interesting and see how things go from there.

Feel for the guys impacted by the accident, but curious as to why they didn't get a new bike for Yatesy if it was that bad ?

Oh well :x

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 15, 2017 8:54 am

Hopefully the riders' union will focus again on motos as presenting the greatest danger than fairytales about lethal disc brakes.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 15, 2017 2:49 pm

biker jk wrote:Hopefully the riders' union will focus again on motos as presenting the greatest danger than fairytales about lethal disc brakes.
Why. Haven't done so far ?

Something I've mentioned many times, but that seems to be forgotten.

Just gotta count their lucky stars that no-one was on discs, otherwise there would have been many more retirements due to those fast spinning and razor sharp knives .... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just hope that all that went to ground are able to recover (although Kelderman is out (broken finger) and Landa is still tbd) and fight a good fight and go on some great attacks in the mountains.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Well, the Time trial certainly changed things a bit.

Tom D seems to be able to ride well on a single steep climb, but how will he go on Stage 16 with lots of climbs and w/out a key right hand man.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few stages. Hope no crashes cause any more issues, and that it's just mano e mano !!

Stelvio looking good, but can change at any moment

Temps are around a low of -1 deg to + 3 , brrrrrrrrrrr

19cm of snow forecast for Friday and 6cm on Sat, but then nothing forecast before the stage, so looking good :D

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Good watching last night for stage 11 although I only saw from 40kms or so to go but solid, attacking racing with a great finish. Then this morning I watched the Tour of Cali and the break stayed away with a fantastic 1-2 finish for the Rally Cycling Conti team. The sprinters' teams screwed up big time but the five in the break rode really well together helped by a tailwind.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 pm

MichaelB wrote:Free trial + 1 month is the deal. $10 for the base choice and $29 for the sports pack.

It's not $75 a month.
I signed up for a 2 weeks free trial of Foxtel Play earlier this week. I set it up on my PS3 and the quality was good. Unfortunately it does not allow pause or recording, so I have to be there in front of the TV between 7 and 8 to see the 1 hour highlight which is a bit of a problem with my young family.

So I ended up getting it working on my Mac which I can also connect to the TV. This allows pause at least but I think you can only pause half an hour. So I tried to capture the screen using quicktime and was surprised to find that it works. I had to do a bit of a hack to get the sound working, but I was successful in setting things up at 7 and then letting it record and then stopping at 8 at which time I could watch the recording at my own leisure.

I should be able to cancel my foxtel play at the end of the Giro at no cost. I'm not one to brag about getting something for nothing. I am happy to pay money for a good service, but I feel the nature of this hacking to record is pretty substandard for an expensive solution. Unfortunately IQ service with recording is not available at my address.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 am

vosadrian wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Free trial + 1 month is the deal. $10 for the base choice and $29 for the sports pack.

It's not $75 a month.
...I should be able to cancel my foxtel play at the end of the Giro at no cost. ....
Don't think it works that way. They're smarter than that.

At the end of the two weeks, the 1 month is charged, so effectively you pay in advance. It will be buried in the contract that you accept when you sign up.

It's worked well enough for me so far, but won't be keeping it. The missus wants the BBC First drama channel, but think that's an extra package like the sports. After the 2 weeks, the extra channels that you normally pay for are locked.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri May 19, 2017 11:28 am

When I signed up it said I would only be charged if I did not cancel by a certain date? Not sure they can claim a free trial if it is not free?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 19, 2017 1:08 pm

vosadrian wrote:When I signed up it said I would only be charged if I did not cancel by a certain date? Not sure they can claim a free trial if it is not free?
You'll find out in about 14 days ..... 8)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Looks like Van Garderen's GT career has finally ended. Sad interview on VN.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 19, 2017 3:53 pm

While TvG had grand tour aspirations, I'm not convinced it ever amounted to a career - he joins a long list, such as Jurgen Van den Broeck, Andrew Talansky, Pinot & a whole bunch of others good enough to finish in the top 10 without ever being good enough to seriously challenge for the win. Sadly I think Richie Porte is on that list too

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 pm

vosadrian wrote:so I have to be there in front of the TV between 7 and 8 to see the 1 hour highlight which is a bit of a problem with my young family.
I'm watching the Quest highlights myself, though Sean Kelly's accent can be a bit hard to understand at times. Ditto with the young family, but I am able download and watch at my leisure (usually late at night, probably when the next stage is being raced). Not strictly kosher, but I have no other options available and it may be a better solution than your current hack?
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat May 20, 2017 1:31 pm

find_bruce wrote:While TvG had grand tour aspirations, I'm not convinced it ever amounted to a career - he joins a long list, such as Jurgen Van den Broeck, Andrew Talansky, Pinot & a whole bunch of others good enough to finish in the top 10 without ever being good enough to seriously challenge for the win. Sadly I think Richie Porte is on that list too
I reckon he's made a career out of it thus far....just not a succesful career.

On Porte....I think I agree. One week tours no probs. 3 weeks, maybe a bridge to far. G. Thomas is shaping up similar.

I wonder if the same applys to all of the GC fellas, and that the team they bring is what pushes them over the hill. No one at Sky ever got the A team ala Froomay. Not even Wiggooooooooooooooooo at the '13 Giro. Movistar has not backed Valverde ala Quintana since his TDF debut although Valverde's altitude abilities seem to be a weakness.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 22, 2017 11:26 am

Well, couldn't last the distance last night and missed most of the action !!

Watched the Oropoa stage in full, and what a cracker. Man, the speed they can climb at is AMAZING !!

TD's performance is surely a worry for those like Nibali (dropped again) & Quintana (couldn't get away and stay away), and Pinot did a great ride as well.

Looking fwd to Stage 16 and reliving some memories. Looks like the weather will be OK for Stelvio (clear but cold), so need tonight to be a "catch up on sleep night" !!!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 am

Quintana crashes and the Movistar team car stops in a dangerous position almost causing further crashes. Only fined 50CHF! TD slows peloton so that Quintana isn't disadvantaged (a contrast with Movistar not slowing/waiting when the police motorcycle caused a crash effecting Yates and Thomas).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Saw the car positioning, and that should have been an ejection, especially after the furore of the Motorbike cop that took out GT, Land & Yates !!

Chapeau to TD for his sportsmanship.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm

biker jk wrote:TD slows peloton so that Quintana isn't disadvantaged (a contrast with Movistar not slowing/waiting when the police motorcycle caused a crash effecting Yates and Thomas).
Or indeed with Quintana sprinting away in the final to claw back some seconds. Or his attack in the snow a few years ago. He has some form there......

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 23, 2017 8:27 am

Snippet from Cycling news

Snow clears on Stelvio but cars limited with avalanche risk

Any fears that the Giro d'Italia would run into route problems on the Stelvio pass on Tuesday have been allayed by the recent spell of clement weather, though Giro d'Italia organisers will still be limiting the number or vehicles allowed up due to the risk of avalanche.

The top of the pass stands at 2758m altitude, and had been photographed covered in snow towards the start of the Giro, as we've become accustomed to seeing it in the Giro. Snowfall and poor visibility in the 2013 edition caused confusion and controversy as some riders believed the descent had been neutralised.

Photos were taken at the top of the Stelvio showed the snow had cleared considerably, while clear conditions are forecast for Tuesday. Still, the warmer weather has increased the possibility of avalanche and, as has become customary at the Giro, the number of vehicles allowed up the mountain will be limited to reduce the risk of unsettling the snow. This won't affect the team cars in the race, nor the television broadcast.

All quiet and clear with 12 hours to go :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Just realised that where we stayed in Canazei last year is at the 800m to go mark :mrgreen: for Stage 17.

Just thought I'd rub it in.

Sun starting to rise on Stilfserjoch. Looking brilliant ....