2017 Giro route

biker jk

Re: 2017 Giro route

Postby biker jk » Wed May 24, 2017 10:41 am

Funniest reader comment I read on CyclingNews,

If Quintana or Nibali win the overall with less than a minute to spare, there will forever be a brown asterisk next to their name in the record books.

CycloTron

Postby CycloTron » Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 pm

The puns are proving irresistible.

VeloNews headline is "Stage 16: Nibali wins; Dumoulin dumps time but leads"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Great stage, and I think TD showed strength AND class. Some others just showed strength.

I also think that the days events will spur on Sunweb to dig even deeper.

Whilst I missed 'poo-gate' (minor microsleep), one comment that I saw that had me LMAO was that he wouldn't be surprised if the 'evacuation' ended up in someone's collection/ebay ..... :|

Great scenery and I recognised plenty of spots :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 25, 2017 7:51 am

Great to se Le Oef get a result. Had been trying a few times.

Maybe the start now for Cannondale to get winning again with this and Talansky's win.

Looking fed to tonight's stage. Have ridden Passo Pordoi and it was a nice little hill ....

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 pm

MichaelB wrote:Great to se Le Oef get a result. Had been trying a few times.

Maybe the start now for Cannondale to get winning again with this and Talansky's win.

Looking fed to tonight's stage. Have ridden Passo Pordoi and it was a nice little hill ....
I'm seeing all these routes, names of towns and looking where I'm going and thinking, yes, we are going along there! Canazei, yes, I'll be there. :D

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Fri May 26, 2017 8:31 am

I see Caleb has withdrawn
Caleb Ewan (Orica-Scott), Bart De Clercq (Lotto-Soudal), Ivan Savitskiy (Gazprom-Rusvelo), Rüdiger Selig (Bora-Hansgrohe), Tanel Kangert (Astana) also didn’t finish the race’s fifteenth stage, Kangert after a spectacular crash and 22-year-old Ewan withdrawn by his team due to his age and the lack of remaining sprint stages.
Dumoulin looking good :) Go matey.
Van Garderen wins the 18th stage

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 26, 2017 9:03 am

g-boaf wrote:
I'm seeing all these routes, names of towns and looking where I'm going and thinking, yes, we are going along there! Canazei, yes, I'll be there. :D
I spent last night saying to myself "I know that chemist place", "Oh, that's where we stayed in Canazei", I remember that building on that hairpin"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad that they had great weather and that Tom D is speaking his mind rather than being polite.

Seems that as much as NQ & Nibs try, they can't sjhake Tom.

Hope like hell that they fall off the podium and that that Tom D wins.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Tonight's stage I fear will be an exercise in waiting till the end, but the climb itself will be a cracker.

May do the sleep 1st and wake up for it to watch the finale.

Looks like a damned hard climb. First 6km average 9.4% :shock:

CycloTron

Postby CycloTron » Mon May 29, 2017 7:34 am

Well done Tom Dumoulin.
I'm definitely a fan now.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 29, 2017 9:08 am

Great result for the Pink & White jerseys - both guys rode well and deserved the wins. Gaviria & Landa too.

Pity Pinot couldn't stay on the podium, he deserved it, at least he got a stage win.

The other players just didn't have it and TD rode really well, despite having a team that couldn't really support him !!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Really enjoyed the Giro and found it frustrating on the climbs that Nairo couldn't break away or stay away... good to see Nairo keep ahead of Nibali and with such an strong ITT, it was a worthy victory.
Cycling is in my BNA

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue May 30, 2017 10:27 am

Great Giro. Was great to see Tom come through at the end.

I found myself barracking for Nibali a bit (to my horror). I used to like Quintana when he first became a known name as the innocent strong climber. I think a few years at Movistar have bought him down in my mind. Particularly attacking Tom on the Stelvio after a nature break only a day or two after Tom slowed the peleton after his crash. This then seemed to turn into a recurring theme. Then whenever he was involved in an attack or anything without his team support he was very reluctant to take a turn and work with anyone else. On stage 20 near the end he was trying to rally the troops to make time on Tom, but seemed to be doing little himself. He seemed to end where he did on the podium by playing it safe and making the most of other people's bad luck. At least Nibali was animating the race and making it exciting to watch. It seemed a common them to see Nibali attacking with Quintana glued to his wheel.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 30, 2017 5:36 pm

SBS and their cycling broadcasters have been public in criticising the Giro for not doing a deal and letting them to free-to-air in Australia. They are also connecting the (apparent) lower viewing numbers of the Giro internationally with the organisers and the way they manage TV rights.

So how did everyone watch?

For me, I am in Europe so get free-to-air Eurosport and can watch live stages (though it is not always a complete stage broadcast) or an evening short replay broadcast of the last X kilometres.

How are you watching.. free online streaming, paid online streaming, pay tv or another way?

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue May 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Have to agree with vosadrian; Quintana has definitely fallen out of favor with me after the Giro. I was so relieved to see Tom come through in the TT and stick it to Quintana and Movistar! I do think Tom's strength is more in consistency (and TT of course) rather than being able to really pull away for a tour-winning stage or two in the mountains. He's likeable enough (thus far) but not as entertaining as the top climbers IMHO.

I've only been watching cycling for a few years (3?) now, and strictly TdU and the Grand Tours at that, but would have to say that this Giro was the most exciting tour in my (short) memory. Good to see Caleb with a stage win too!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1, Suunto Ambit2 Black
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue May 30, 2017 5:43 pm

AUbicycles wrote:How are you watching.. free online streaming, paid online streaming, pay tv or another way?
Quest highlights package, cyclingtorrents.nl. Delayed, but time-poor with a young family I was sometimes 2 days behind anyway.

Had to be very careful not to inadvertently read any cycling news for the 3 weeks though - not always successful either. :(

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Very timely indeed, Tomalaris just tweeted a blog by his buddy norbs on this topic:
http://www.nonprocycling.com/2017/05/30 ... -audience/

I have added a few thoughts.
Cycling is in my BNA

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue May 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Free online streaming (Tiz cycling showing Eurosport) but it had its moments where I believe it was under attack and the signal was denied. One other site that streamed races live is now permanently off the air apparently due to attacks on their server or some such.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 pm

AUbicycles wrote:SBS and their cycling broadcasters have been public in criticising the Giro for not doing a deal and letting them to free-to-air in Australia. They are also connecting the (apparent) lower viewing numbers of the Giro internationally with the organisers and the way they manage TV rights.

So how did everyone watch?

For me, I am in Europe so get free-to-air Eurosport and can watch live stages (though it is not always a complete stage broadcast) or an evening short replay broadcast of the last X kilometres.

How are you watching.. free online streaming, paid online streaming, pay tv or another way?

Christopher
I watch a fair bit of cycling: spring classics, grand tours etc. 2017 Giro? Didn't watch it, only really waited for the final result. They lost a viewer, I have watched the Giro the last few years, even bought a Giro related jersey (merch sale to the Giro), when it was on SBS. This year I took little interest.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

march83

Postby march83 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:37 am

I don't think they really care. Fox/ES paid them more money than SBS, that's what matters to the Giro as a business. I don't think they're particularly bothered by brand building in the colonies.

The worst part is that it's kind of your loss if you're actively not participating just because you can't watch it in your preferred manner - it was a fascinating last week and an entertaining 3 weeks of racing.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 31, 2017 9:44 am

march83 wrote:I don't think they really care. Fox/ES paid them more money than SBS, that's what matters to the Giro as a business. I don't think they're particularly bothered by brand building in the colonies.

The worst part is that it's kind of your loss if you're actively not participating just because you can't watch it in your preferred manner - it was a fascinating last week and an entertaining 3 weeks of racing.
I'm not sure it's a sustainable strategy for Fox to pay more and then not be able to sell more subscriptions or earn more advertising revenue. Take cricket broadcasting in Australia where Channel Nine claims they lose around $30 million a year and so we now have CA trying to cut elite player salaries because Channel Nine will not keep paying up.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 am

I've always rated the Giro a better GT to watch purely because it's usually a closer competition and the stages are better.

Last year with Chaves and this year with Tom D are classic examples. Lately the TdF has been the Sky power train (kudos to them for their skill and capability) show which makes it much more boring to watch.

I'll still watch key stages, but more likely to turn off early if it's too predictable.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 31, 2017 10:36 am

I got the free trial for Foxtel play and watched the last 2 weeks with that. Before that I just watched the InCycle highlights on Youtube.

I have been watching GTs for about 5 years. The Giro is normally more entertaining than TDF for me. I did enjoy the year when Quintana first came to be known at the TDF attacking Froome. It is a shame that Quintana now seems to be more known for attacking when his opposition is having some bad luck in an unsporting way, or when everyone else thinks it is neutral, and generally playing conservative sucking others wheels the rest of the time.

It was great to watch Chavez attacking last year in both Giro and Vuelta. You could never accuse Contador of being boring. Nibali certainly animated this Giro more than Quintana.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 31, 2017 12:16 pm

vosadrian wrote:I got the free trial for Foxtel play and watched the last 2 weeks with that.
So did you get away with having to pay the next months subscription :?:

Have already cancelled my 'Sports' channel subscription. Still think it's stupid the way they do it that you can only get channels as part of 'packages'. I honestly don't care about the other sports channels and would happily pay $15/mth for just one single channel.

But you can't .....

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 31, 2017 1:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:
vosadrian wrote:I got the free trial for Foxtel play and watched the last 2 weeks with that.
So did you get away with having to pay the next months subscription :?:

Have already cancelled my 'Sports' channel subscription. Still think it's stupid the way they do it that you can only get channels as part of 'packages'. I honestly don't care about the other sports channels and would happily pay $15/mth for just one single channel.

But you can't .....
I think so. I cancelled within the two weeks... but I had to give my CC details to sign up, so you never know if there will be a charge. No indications at this stage.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 pm

vosadrian wrote:...so you never know if there will be a charge. No indications at this stage.
Waiting for the inevitable "administrative error"...