2017 UCI Road World Championships

biker jk

Re: 2017 UCI Road World Championships

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:41 pm

The loss of broadcast for the last few kilometres was a little embarrassing. Yeah, Sagan is amazing.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:51 pm

The women's elite road race was exciting, particularly with the Dutch v. Australian strength and challenges and counter challenges.

For the men's world championships road race, I came into the live broadcast a bit late so register tactics and strategies by the Aussie riders. The missing coverage was a catastrophe.
Cycling is in my BNA

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 pm

A young NSW kid who I believe is destined to be a future Pro signing put in 2 unbelievable rides in the U19 races. Mitch Wright was the first 1st year U19 home in the TT finishing in 17th place outright (he's 17 years old). He will get another run in U19 next year.
In his pet event the road race he crashed twice, getting taken out a second time in the last corner when he was set to finish 5th. Very disappointing but he is a star of the future for certain.
Proud to say I helped him prepare for the championships. Wonderful talent and the nicest kid you will ever meet. Remember the name.
Last edited by Derny Driver on Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:47 pm

:)
I tried to watch some racing for the younger riders though only got the men's and women's elite TT and road.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Watch a replay of the Men's, mostly the last 30km in the hope to see the missing footage however it was still not there. I was hoping that it was recovered.

It was caused by a power cut to a receiver though moto footage has not yet appeared. Heli footage however has turned up in the interweb.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Helicopter view of the last 4 km

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:28 pm

The women got silver and went "told you we needed a full team".

See Cycling and politics: Australia’s World Road Championships selection controversy (The Conversation)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:58 am

Thoglette wrote:The women got silver and went "told you we needed a full team".

See Cycling and politics: Australia’s World Road Championships selection controversy (The Conversation)
Fair enough. CA said that they were backing the men's team because they were in with a real chance of winning - and they came 3rd. CA said that they weren't sending a full women's team because they didn't have as good a chance of winning - and they came 2nd.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:49 pm

We all know how racing is, it is conceivable that none of the men or women placed...

The core of the issue is that rider selection by Cycling Australia does not appear to be transparent because there are too many open questions. If the public and riders question the selection, not enough has been done to justify it which could be both because of questionable selection or poor communication. These need to be resolved as early as possible to avoid drama.
Cycling is in my BNA