2018 TdF route

biker jk

Re: 2018 TdF route

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:52 am

RobertL wrote:I'm surprised that Sagan rode so badly near the end of last night's stage.

The pace was high, with everyone jockeying for position in the leadup to the sprint. With about 2km to go, Sagan moved up to about 5th or 6th wheel. He had 2 Bora riders on the front, then 2 or 3 riders from other teams and then him.

By the time it got to 1km to go, he was in about 20th spot and never managed to get into a good position for the sprint. We didn't see exactly what happened to shuffle him backwards, but it was very un-Sagan like.
Given he had a nasty crash the previous stage I think he rode smart.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:59 am

RobertL wrote: ..... We didn't see exactly what happened to shuffle him backwards, but it was very un-Sagan like.
haven't seen the finish either, but he had a big stack on St17, so in reality, he's lucky (or just tough) to even be able to give it a go.

w.r.t. the Demare saga, is there proof or theoretical calcs to show that he received some form of assistance ? You would think that if he did, there would be others that would call it out, have seen it or there would be footage of it ? Maybe he took it relatively easy on the early climbs to have some reserve ? He was close to several others when he crossed the line, so it would have been obvious if he had a tow. You would think anyway ....

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
RobertL wrote: ..... We didn't see exactly what happened to shuffle him backwards, but it was very un-Sagan like.
haven't seen the finish either, but he had a big stack on St17, so in reality, he's lucky (or just tough) to even be able to give it a go.

w.r.t. the Demare saga, is there proof or theoretical calcs to show that he received some form of assistance ? You would think that if he did, there would be others that would call it out, have seen it or there would be footage of it ? Maybe he took it relatively easy on the early climbs to have some reserve ? He was close to several others when he crossed the line, so it would have been obvious if he had a tow. You would think anyway ....
Greipel and others pointed out that he was the first out the back on the first climb, then lost an average of 9 minutes (iirc) per climb, consistently. It beggars belief that occured. Of course, there was no video footage.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Jeez, Sagan looks terrible. Only hope he survives to make it!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:40 pm

Great riding by LJ last night. Hope Roglic can keep hold of the podium place and Kruiswijk can keep his 5th!!

Chapeau to Sagan, he looked like crap last night but still managed to finish.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:18 am

MichaelB wrote:Great riding by LJ last night. Hope Roglic can keep hold of the podium place and Kruiswijk can keep his 5th!!

Chapeau to Sagan, he looked like crap last night but still managed to finish.
Agreed - he did look bad. I wonder if a normal road bike might have been more suitable given his condition?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Bugger, CF back on the podium :evil:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:Bugger, CF back on the podium :evil:
Luckily the Dawg followed team orders to let Thomas win. The Dawg's performance in the TT showed how strong he really was in the third weak. The getting dropped in earlier climbs was a ruse. Sky have realised they'll get less flak with Thomas as the TdF winner. That's 6 of the past 7 TdF wins for Team Sky. All British. The factory keeps churning TdF winners out, seemingly at will.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm now in Paris and back to watching the French coverage. When Doumilin crossed the line I thought he was second and Froome had won. Apparently Froome's time was wrong because a policeman had walked across the finish as Froome was approaching - so an adjustment had to be made.

Tour de France explains Froome Vs Dumoulin crucial TT timing glitch

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:05 am

biker jk wrote:
Luckily the Dawg followed team orders to let Thomas win. The Dawg's performance in the TT showed how strong he really was in the third weak. The getting dropped in earlier climbs was a ruse. Sky have realised they'll get less flak with Thomas as the TdF winner. That's 6 of the past 7 TdF wins for Team Sky. All British. The factory keeps churning TdF winners out, seemingly at will.
Actually, only 1 British, 4 South African and 1 for the Welsh.

And one of those is highly suspect .....

I doubt that Froome getting dropped was a ruse, but agree that GT is a much more popular winner, but that won't change peoples position on Sky as a dodgy team.

Very happy the TD won the final TT.

Can only wonder if some of the big favourites hadn't crashed out (Porte & Nibali)/got toasted (Nairo & Yates), but in the end GT outlasted them all.

Hardman award goes to Lawson Craddock for finishing, very closely followed by Sagan. Honourable mentions to Dan Martin, Gilbert, Phinney & Yates gets a minor mention.
Best team award goes to Lotto Jumbo NL for giving it a damn good crack, winning three stages and getting two non-favourites in the Top 5
Bad tactics in Hindsight award goes to Movistar - tried, but just never seemed to work, but Nairo's stage win was good.
Under performing team would have to go to MS - not for lack of trying, but just never got there. DE got plenty of TV time but no rewards.
Overpaid & underdelivered - easily goes to Barguil, with Quintana getting an honourable mention. Porte would win here by some peoples opinions, but brought down in a crash not of his doing doesn't get him there.
Soo close, but came up empty - goes to a trio of Kangert, Nieve & Kruiswijk for their great attacks that lit it up, but just didn't work. Yates & Valverde get honourable mentions here too.
Underpaid & Over delivered - easily goes to Alaphillipe with Roglic a close second.

That's my wrap :D

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:31 am

Another one done. So who's the Sky leader at La Vuelta? Will Thomas have a crack?
Hardman award goes to Lawson Craddock for finishing, very closely followed by Sagan. Honourable mentions to Dan Martin, Gilbert, Phinney & Yates gets a minor mention.
Best team award goes to Lotto Jumbo NL for giving it a damn good crack, winning three stages and getting two non-favourites in the Top 5
Bad tactics in Hindsight award goes to Movistar - tried, but just never seemed to work, but Nairo's stage win was good.
Under performing team would have to go to MS - not for lack of trying, but just never got there. DE got plenty of TV time but no rewards.
Overpaid & underdelivered - easily goes to Barguil, with Quintana getting an honourable mention. Porte would win here by some peoples opinions, but brought down in a crash not of his doing doesn't get him there.
Soo close, but came up empty - goes to a trio of Kangert, Nieve & Kruiswijk for their great attacks that lit it up, but just didn't work. Yates & Valverde get honourable mentions here too.
Underpaid & Over delivered - easily goes to Alaphillipe with Roglic a close second.
I think I agree with that....maybe putting Quintana in front of Barguil. I think that the Frenchie's team may have let him down a bit, and I've read more rumblings of Quintana caused dissent in Movistar than any other year. Oh, and Alaphillipe winning the KOM when as usual it went to an opportunist, not the best climber.

Craddock the standout for mine.

Happiest moment for me: seeing Demare come third on the Champs.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:07 am

Can't help but wonder how many 3 week tours Porte would have finished if he was as hard as Craddock or Sagan

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:04 pm

fat and old wrote: ..... Oh, and Alaphillipe winning the KOM when as usual it went to an opportunist, not the best climber.

Sort of agree (opportunist to start with in getting it in the 1st place), but plenty of pure climbers tried to distance him, and yet none of them were able to do it.
He won a bag of points early, but in defending, he also then won plenty of HC & 1st Cat climbs. I consider Clarke more of an opportunist when he won the Vuelta KoM, but it Alaphillipe's win wasn't just one big stage and then holding on, it was a big stage win and plenty of other KoM's that he also got.

Well deserved in my book.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:Can't help but wonder how many 3 week tours Porte would have finished if he was as hard as Craddock or Sagan
At the end of the day, it's only the Dom's that would get kudos for that. Even if LRP did hang on and finish, he'd still get lambasted for hanging on, finishing last and wasting team resources, rather than recovering for the next one.

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:02 pm

It's only a matter of time before someone doing a Craddock/Phinney/Gilbert crashes again with something broken and takes other people out or really wreck themselves for good, like a career-ending injury. It's stupid and dangerous. This isn't 0 century Rome, no one cares how tough you are. Sagan wanted the green and really just had gravel rash and bruises so I think that's ok. Continuing on with broken bones for nothing but your own ego is dumb.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:
biker jk wrote:

I doubt that Froome getting dropped was a ruse, but agree that GT is a much more popular winner, but that won't change peoples position on Sky as a dodgy team.

Can only wonder if some of the big favourites hadn't crashed out (Porte & Nibali)/got toasted (Nairo & Yates), but in the end GT outlasted them all.

Froome is from Kenya, just a lazy 4000km from South Africa...

I'd have QuickStep in there as best team - a team that's set up for the spring classics - won the polka-dot jersey, 4 stage wins, Gilbert smashing it up in the Pyrenees.

djw47

Postby djw47 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Sky could play an absolute blinder by hiring a great young French prospect for next year's tour.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm

djw47 wrote:Sky could play an absolute blinder by hiring a great young French prospect for next year's tour.
Like Kenny Ellisonde? :lol:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:31 pm

djw47 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
biker jk wrote:

Froome is from Kenya, just a lazy 4000km from South Africa...

I'd have QuickStep in there as best team - a team that's set up for the spring classics - won the polka-dot jersey, 4 stage wins, Gilbert smashing it up in the Pyrenees.

And Wales is just as much a part of Britain as England.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:33 pm

djw47 wrote: Froome is from Kenya, just a lazy 4000km from South Africa...
Fair enough, I didn't do Geography, but I know what I meant :lol:
djw47 wrote:I'd have QuickStep in there as best team - a team that's set up for the spring classics - won the polka-dot jersey, 4 stage wins, Gilbert smashing it up in the Pyrenees.
Yep, good point - lets make it a tie. :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:34 pm

RobertL wrote: ..

Not if you ask the Welsh.

Wales is part of United Kingdom by law, not in heart/spirit. 8)

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:
RobertL wrote: ..

Not if you ask the Welsh.

Wales is part of United Kingdom by law, not in heart/spirit. 8)
Well, the Welsh should have tried a bit harder in 1282 then... :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:56 pm

RobertL wrote:
Well, the Welsh should have tried a bit harder in 1282 then... :)
:mrgreen:

And the Scots. Irish et al !!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:21 pm

The Guardian has a gallery of what they claim are the best images from the 2018 race Most struck me as not particularly interesting or exciting, perhaps I have seen too many cycling photos or maybe they are trying too hard. This on one was some fabulous timing & had me wincing
Yes both Oliver Naesen AG2R & Rafal Majka Bora-Hansgrohe made it to Paris.

Oh & for those still wondering about Geraint Thomas' allegiances, this ain't no Union Jack!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:16 am

biker jk wrote:
djw47 wrote:Sky could play an absolute blinder by hiring a great young French prospect for next year's tour.
Like Kenny Ellisonde? :lol:
That little prick almost took me out on a shared path back a few years, when he was with sky reccing the Suntour prologue :x Got a great picccie of Froomay taking a slash on our gardens :lol: Pig.