2018 TdF route

fat and old

Re: 2018 TdF route

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:18 am

MichaelB wrote:
djw47 wrote: Froome is from Kenya, just a lazy 4000km from South Africa...
Fair enough, I didn't do Geography, but I know what I meant :lol:
Nope. Not good enough. Self ban, 3 weeks.

:P

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:24 am

fat and old wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
djw47 wrote: Froome is from Kenya, just a lazy 4000km from South Africa...
Fair enough, I didn't do Geography, but I know what I meant :lol:
Nope. Not good enough. Self ban, 3 weeks.

:P
Nope, gathering some high priced lawyers to argue the legality of whether Kenya is in South Africa at some point in time.

I'm innocent, and I'll prove it by outpricing your lawyers.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:30 am

:cry:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:17 am

On a spate note, it seems that many of the teams appear to be using the Garmin 1030, and it makes me wonder why.

But isn't Sky meant to be obsessing about weight ? There was an article near the start of the tour (or was it relating to the Giro) where they were talking about looking at saving 5g from different bottle holders, yet here they are with the biggest, heaviest and most un-aero bike computer available ?

Or is it they are using the feature like 'rider to rider' messaging/text messaging telling them what is going on ? A few are using the 1030 which is surprising to me.

Looking at some of the pics it seems DE, QS (although in one pic, Gilbert is using the 1030), UAE, Trek, BMC, Astana & MS are on the Garmin 520, Cofidis & Bahrain on the SRM, Bora, Fortuneo on the Bolt, Sunweb on the Sigma Rox, FDJ on the 1030, LJ on the Pioneer

andrewjcw

Postby andrewjcw » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 am

It's just one of the those things people love fussing about when it suits their narrative (ie. usually peddling sponsor gear or bragging about how awesome their marginal gains are), but forget about in a second when it doesn't. Do you really think if this year's tour played out the exact same way but G was riding a 1kg heavier bike he would honestly be in any trouble at any point of the race? 98% of a bike race comes down to form, strategy and luck. "We won because we spent $150,000 on a wind tunnel test and working out how many gels we need to carry", never mind that they spent 2 hours in the breakaway with a jersey flapping about unzipped and race number falling off.
https://www.strava.com/athletes/andrewjcw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:21 am

MichaelB wrote:On a spate note, it seems that many of the teams appear to be using the Garmin 1030, and it makes me wonder why.

But isn't Sky meant to be obsessing about weight ? There was an article near the start of the tour (or was it relating to the Giro) where they were talking about looking at saving 5g from different bottle holders, yet here they are with the biggest, heaviest and most un-aero bike computer available ?

Or is it they are using the feature like 'rider to rider' messaging/text messaging telling them what is going on ? A few are using the 1030 which is surprising to me.

Looking at some of the pics it seems DE, QS (although in one pic, Gilbert is using the 1030), UAE, Trek, BMC, Astana & MS are on the Garmin 520, Cofidis & Bahrain on the SRM, Bora, Fortuneo on the Bolt, Sunweb on the Sigma Rox, FDJ on the 1030, LJ on the Pioneer
The 520 is crap, absolute junk. Depending on what angle it is mounted at (depending on the stem/bar mount for it), the 520 can be nearly impossible to read in strong sunlight. If my old Garmin 800 could have its battery replaced, I'd continue using that. The 520 is very disappointing.

These pro-bikes are probably that light already that a Garmin 1030 wouldn't cause much bother. You could put it on my 54cm size Giant and that bike will still be under 6.8kg easily enough.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:On a spate note, it seems that many of the teams appear to be using the Garmin 1030, and it makes me wonder why.

I'd take the Sky marginal gains claims with respect to equipment (among other things) with a large grain of salt. A case in point is the much touted $10,000 3D printed handlebars on the Sky TT bikes (to highlight their attention to detail). Yet they use huge QR skewers which cost 1.5-2 watts and 6 seconds. :roll:

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:04 pm

g-boaf wrote: If my old Garmin 800 could have its battery replaced, I'd continue using that. .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302268986478

just done mine, easy as :D

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 pm

On the Sky TT bars: I watched Hincapie waxing on about them....he reckoned one of the greatest things were the arm rests/pads being custom fit. Allowed the forearm to lock in place and keep the body more stable. I have no idea at all about TT bikes so don’t know about the veracity of it but it made sense?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:
These pro-bikes are probably that light already that a Garmin 1030 wouldn't cause much bother. You could put it on my 54cm size Giant and that bike will still be under 6.8kg easily enough.
When Ride Cycling review was on paper, the annual review of the bikes there showed that virtually NONE of them, even the tiny bikes were much lighter than 7kg, with many even getting close to 6.8kg.

I agree at the end of the day is makes buggerall difference, the Sky mantra is rubbish.

If you think the 520 is bad, try the 1030 with long fingered gloves ....