STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Has some scumbag run-off with your pride and joy? Post the details / photos here.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby cobba » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:49 pm

brauluver wrote:
brauluver wrote:have you contacted this person for a viewing?
http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-fo ... Z139732567


I see this add has been pulled.Does that mean you got him, or he's been spooked?


Either spooked or sold, from my last conversation with the OP the bike hasn't been found yet.
Here's a photo of what the bike looks like: 2009 Stumpjumper Expert Carbon
cobba
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:36 am

by BNA » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:59 pm

BNA
 

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby sparkles » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:59 pm

i would be interested to know if this find has anything to do with this particular scam?

(From the NSW Police news site)

Operation Countdown Police uncover treasure trove of suspected stolen goods – Lethbridge Park
Wednesday, 15 Jul 2009 07:09am

Police have arrested and charged a man after suspected stolen goods, including 25 bicycles, discovered during a raid on a home at Lethbridge Park in Sydney’s west.

At 8.15am yesterday (Tuesday 14 July), officers from the North West Metropolitan Region, attached to Operation Countdown, the Public Order and Riot Squad (PORS) and members of the Dog Squad executed a search warrant on the single-storey house in Palau Crescent.

Police entered the home and were surprised at the alleged find which included:

· 25 bicycles
· Four quad bikes
· Six trail bikes
· Lawnmowers
· Whipper snippers
· Laptop computers
· A large quantity of jewellery and watches
· Scores of mobile phones
· Military medals

Police allege the treasure trove is part of an illegal fencing operation.

The goods have been seized and removed from the property for analysis, evaluation and further investigation.

Officers arrested a 47-year-old Lethbridge Park man at the house and took him to Mount Druitt Police Station where has been charged with dealing with the proceeds of crime, receiving and supply/posses prohibited drug.

He was refused bail and ordered to appear in the Mount Druitt Local Court later today.

Investigations are continuing.

It’s the latest in a series of arrests made by Operation Countdown police.

So far, more than 11 people have been arrested and 35 charges laid during the first two weeks of the operation targeting aggravated break and enter offences in north-western Sydney.

Before yesterday’s raid, charges have included:

· two counts of aggravated break and enter
· two counts of break and enter
· three counts of receiving stolen property
· two counts of steal motor vehicle
· one count of possess house breaking implements
· one count of goods in custody reasonably suspected of being stolen.

Operation Countdown’ commenced on Sunday 28 June and will run until the end of September this year

Anyone with information that can assist the operation is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
sparkles
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:09 pm

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby RobRollin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Sucks that this has happened. I beleive that it is a act of fraud the Police would be able to track through PayPal and Ebay the persons details and investigate. Good luck, hopefully the Police find the culprit and you are able to get your bike back.
Image
RobRollin
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby legal_eagle » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:54 pm

RobRollin wrote:Sucks that this has happened. I beleive that it is a act of fraud the Police would be able to track through PayPal and Ebay the persons details and investigate. Good luck, hopefully the Police find the culprit and you are able to get your bike back.


I would love to think that I would get it back but I have almost given up hope. The scum bag scammed a second bike so he is probably using that now & will keep my stumpy out of sight until all is forgotten.
legal_eagle
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby tinhorn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:33 am

how very unfortunate, i feel for you mate as this guy is a genuine piece of shitt.
tinhorn
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby RobRollin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:55 pm

I beleive the OP if serious about trying to locate his bike then he would follow up with PayPal as well as EBAY and the NSW POlice Force. Fraud Ebay and PayPal take seriously and would be following up inrelation to this. Has the OP lodged a complaint with EBAY and PayPal? With the info the OP has a investigator would be able to locate the unknown party.
Image
RobRollin
 
Posts: 1792
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby cobba » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:06 pm

RobRollin wrote:I beleive the OP if serious about trying to locate his bike then he would follow up with PayPal as well as EBAY and the NSW POlice Force. Fraud Ebay and PayPal take seriously and would be following up inrelation to this. Has the OP lodged a complaint with EBAY and PayPal? With the info the OP has a investigator would be able to locate the unknown party.


The OP did contact PayPal and eBay but they didn't want to know about it, the NSW Police are currently investigating it and he also got a Private Investigator to look into it.
cobba
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:36 am

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby justinianau » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:36 pm

legal_eagle wrote:If someone buys the bike they will also be liable & loose the bike & more than like will be charged with accepting stolen goods. The whole situation could get complicated.
Cheers


Actually it doesn't necessarily get complicated at all.
If in fact the purchaser is a bona-fide purchaser without notice of the provenance of the goods then they are not going to be charged with receiving stolen goods, in fact they probably get to keep the bike, to your detriment.

I actually have a few questions about your situation in general.

It is very, very difficult to reverse a PayPal transaction - given the level of secure information exchange that must take place the banks tend to take the view that the cardholder authorised the transaction unless the cardholder can prove otherwise. Whilst there is legislation pretty much unique to Australia that allows a cardholder to reverse unauthorised transactions it is not quite as simple in the case of the "middleman" type operation such as Paypal as it is reversing a transaction where goods are purchased over the phone and a card number quoted to the merchant. How did the evil-doer manage to reverse the transaction?

Paypal will have the IP used to initiate the transaction and they have the credentials used to set up the account in the first place. It should only be a few hours work for the Police to establish the owner of the various internet accounts and mobile accounts used to both do the actual transaction and to contact you.

Are you in fact saying that the person whose PayPal account was used was not in fact the person who ended up with your bike? If so, who did?

PayPal/eBay have fraud compensation policies, yet you have not mentioned accessing those - Why?

You are prepared to give some specifics of your bike, but not the really important stuff like a serial number - Why? I mean just how many stolen 2009 Specialized Stump Jumpers do you actually think are out there?
justinianau
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Some of these questions are probably best addressed with a PM. I am not sure what is to be gained by posting the serial number of the bike on the forum. If you think you have located the bike PM the OP for the serial number.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7312
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby justinianau » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:39 am

casual_cyclist wrote:Some of these questions are probably best addressed with a PM.


Why?


casual_cyclist wrote: I am not sure what is to be gained by posting the serial number of the bike on the forum. If you think you have located the bike PM the OP for the serial number.



Might prove that it actually exists - a point on which I harbour considerable doubt
justinianau
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby brauluver » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:07 pm

justinianau wrote:



casual_cyclist wrote: I am not sure what is to be gained by posting the serial number of the bike on the forum. If you think you have located the bike PM the OP for the serial number.



Might prove that it actually exists - a point on which I harbour considerable doubt


So why exactly would the OP go to the trouble of posting all this info on multiple forums, including gumtree adds of said bike?
brauluver
 
Posts: 3646
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Adelaide N/E

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby justinianau » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:38 pm

brauluver wrote:So why exactly would the OP go to the trouble of posting all this info on multiple forums, including gumtree adds of said bike?



My expertise is not psychology.

I merely make the point that there are some gaping holes in the story told by "legal Eagle".

He/She is of course at liberty to fill in those gaps and provide an explanation for putting a story out that is, on it's face, unlikely.

Or not as the case may be.
justinianau
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby legal_eagle » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:25 pm

justinianau wrote:
brauluver wrote:So why exactly would the OP go to the trouble of posting all this info on multiple forums, including gumtree adds of said bike?



My expertise is not psychology.

I merely make the point that there are some gaping holes in the story told by "legal Eagle".

He/She is of course at liberty to fill in those gaps and provide an explanation for putting a story out that is, on it's face, unlikely.

Or not as the case may be.

Dear Justinianau,

Firstly I do not like your tone as to you doubting the bike ever existed. I am out of pocket $5500 & I have the receipt dated 14/4/2009 to prove it.

The serial number is with the police & I have no intention to publicise it on this forum.

I have no connection with the ad that appeared on the Gumtree site. There was no proof that bike was mine however there are similarities as the person who purchased my bike did say they imported tyres from the USA for use on my bike. The Gumtree ad said it had new tyres fitted & the standard specialized tyres were unused & would be sold with the bike. Put 2 & 2 together & see what you come up with. I believe the person responsible is on this forum as well as another, which is one reason I will NOT say too much.

What gapping holes are in the story?

Your original post is so far off accuracy. If you are a solicitor I suggest you should know better.

I am a legal practitioner. The only thing you are somewhat correct in is the person buying the bike from the scammer. If the person bought it not knowing it was stolen then they will not be charged, however there is no court in Australia that would let them keep it. The bike would be returned to its rightful owner – ME.

The only recourse the person would have would be to take civil action against the seller to recover their money.

If the scammer of my bike is brought before the courts, & it would be the magistrates court, the magistrate may order the scammer to return the money as part of the penalty. There is no guarantee that this judgement would be made.

As far as your comments go about ebay & paypal & it being hard to do a reverse charge is so far off the truth. Do a google search on paypal scams. The person who scammed my bike used the same scam for a number of other items as well & got away with it. One of the items was another high-ticketed MTB.

And before you ask the question as to why I would sell a brand new bike.

The reason is I ordered it from the dealer & paid in full when it came in. Due to my own circumstances I did not pick it up straight away as I started to loose the sight in my eyes. I was then diagnosed with a detached retina, which hopefully can be repaired, but I will not be riding for quite some time.

I hope this answers your doubts.
legal_eagle
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby justinianau » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:36 pm

legal_eagle wrote:

Firstly I do not like your tone as to you doubting the bike ever existed. I am out of pocket $5500 & I have the receipt dated 14/4/2009 to prove it.



I'll try to break this to you gently, I am beside myself with indifference to what you like or do not like.

legal_eagle wrote:
The serial number is with the police & I have no intention to publicise it on this forum.


Yes of course, the one thing, other than perhaps a crime number which might actually provide concrete proof......

Still as I did say earlier, your choice of course.

legal_eagle wrote:
I have no connection with the ad that appeared on the Gumtree site.


Nor did I ever say that you did. Do you often rely on straw man arguments to "prove" your assertions?

legal_eagle wrote:here was no proof that bike was mine however there are similarities as the person who purchased my bike did say they imported tyres from the USA for use on my bike. The Gumtree ad said it had new tyres fitted & the standard specialized tyres were unused & would be sold with the bike. Put 2 & 2 together & see what you come up with. I believe the person responsible is on this forum as well as another, which is one reason I will NOT say too much.



So, let's sum up here. You say your bike was stolen, you suspect that the person who stole it uses this forum, you are prepared to waste bandwidth bleating about your stolen bike, but not prepared to provide information that either:-

(a) provides circumstantial proof that anything you say is true
(b) allows "your" bike to be identified.

Here's some mail for you. If someone really has stolen you bike, they know they did it.
For a few giggles how about you give a compelling reason not to post the serial number so that anyone contemplating the purchase of a 2009 Specialized Stump Jumper can check to make sure that the one on offer isn't yours.


legal_eagle wrote:What gapping holes are in the story?


Not my job to help you refine your story, how about you just stick to facts, if in fact there are any.

legal_eagle wrote:Your original post is so far off accuracy. If you are a solicitor I suggest you should know better.


Another straw man dies in your support........Where did I or anyone else suggest that I am a legal practitioner?


legal_eagle wrote:I am a legal practitioner. The only thing you are somewhat correct in is the person buying the bike from the scammer. If the person bought it not knowing it was stolen then they will not be charged, however there is no court in Australia that would let them keep it. The bike would be returned to its rightful owner – ME.


Yep everyone is a Lawyer, a Doctor or an Astronaut on the Internet.
I'm actually a journalist looking for a story.

You wouldn't have one would you?

legal_eagle wrote:The only recourse the person would have would be to take civil action against the seller to recover their money.


You sure about that sherlock?

Perhaps you might like to expand on your reasons for telling the world at large that if they bought "your" bike they would be done for receiving stolen goods then.

Do LLBs come in cornflake packets in your neck of the wood then?

legal_eagle wrote:If the scammer of my bike is brought before the courts, & it would be the magistrates court, the magistrate may order the scammer to return the money as part of the penalty. There is no guarantee that this judgement would be made.


You think?
That loud whooshing sound you just heard was the proceeds of crime legislation (which I'm pretty sure exists in every jurisdiction in Oz) and the Civil principles of unjust enrichment both fleeing in the face of your re-writing of the Law.

legal_eagle wrote:As far as your comments go about ebay & paypal & it being hard to do a reverse charge is so far off the truth. Do a google search on paypal scams. The person who scammed my bike used the same scam for a number of other items as well & got away with it. One of the items was another high-ticketed MTB.


I did have a look and there appear to be a window of opportunity for a scammer to take advantage of a foolish seller, but only when the seller does not follow the procedures laid down by eBay and PayPal.

In any event, the Police force are not subject to the rules of eBay or PayPal and a reasonably competent plod would have had all the necessary information to go pay the scammer a visit in all of 30 minutes.


legal_eagle wrote:And before you ask the question as to why I would sell a brand new bike.


I didn't, and I wasn't going to. Another straw man is launched into battle for you.

legal_eagle wrote:The reason is I ordered it from the dealer & paid in full when it came in. Due to my own circumstances I did not pick it up straight away as I started to loose the sight in my eyes. I was then diagnosed with a detached retina, which hopefully can be repaired, but I will not be riding for quite some time.


I am of course sympathetic for your medical condition

legal_eagle wrote:I hope this answers your doubts.


No, but then you knew that already.
I have better things to do than play with you - for now I'm going back to correspond on topics that interest me.

I hope you get whatever you need out of all this,I can't decide if you are looking for a bike or looking for attention.
justinianau
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:47 pm

justinianau wrote:I have better things to do than play with you - for now I'm going back to correspond on topics that interest me.

It is interesting that you say that. You have joined this forum and made 4 posts in this topic only. I wonder what your motives for joining this forum are?
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7312
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Justinian joined five months ago and the only topic for his total four posts interested correspondence is this particular thread.

Play nice please Justinian.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25694
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby justinianau » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 am

casual_cyclist wrote:It is interesting that you say that. You have joined this forum and made 4 posts in this topic only. I wonder what your motives for joining this forum are?


I am not really in a position to comment on what interests you.

But feel free to knock yourself out wondering about me, nasty horrid person that I am asking for pesky things like facts. - A really, really good conspiracy theory could be fun.
justinianau
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby m@ » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:11 pm

:lol:

Don't feed the troll, kids. Ignore him and he'll go away.
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
User avatar
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 4430
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:20 pm
Location: Northlandia

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 pm

justinianau wrote:But feel free to knock yourself out wondering about me, nasty horrid person that I am asking for pesky things like facts. - A really, really good conspiracy theory could be fun.

Sure could. So how does that Stumpy Expert Carbon ride, justinianau? Or is it still in the box? :lol: :lol: :roll:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 pm

justinianau wrote:
legal_eagle wrote:I am a legal practitioner. The only thing you are somewhat correct in is the person buying the bike from the scammer. If the person bought it not knowing it was stolen then they will not be charged, however there is no court in Australia that would let them keep it. The bike would be returned to its rightful owner – ME.


Yep everyone is a Lawyer, a Doctor or an Astronaut on the Internet.
I'm actually a journalist looking for a story.

You wouldn't have one would you?

legal_eagle wrote:The only recourse the person would have would be to take civil action against the seller to recover their money.


You sure about that sherlock?

Perhaps you might like to expand on your reasons for telling the world at large that if they bought "your" bike they would be done for receiving stolen goods then.

Do LLBs come in cornflake packets in your neck of the wood then?



All of your grandstanding aside, what I have left in your quote is quote simply incorrect. Suggest you do your research a little better. You cannot transfer title of an item when you do not hold the title (the bike). OP never made a definate statement that any purchaser would be done for recieving stolen goods. Granted, more than like (sic) is probably a little excessive but still not a definitive statement, which is what you have tried to turn it into.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5692
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 am

Thank you all for your interest however for this thread it is probably best to limit further discussion to any info that may help in some way because it has gone off track.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9080
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby Willabong » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 pm

You can't charge someone for 'accepting stolen goods' if they honestly didn't know they were buying stolen goods. FACT.

And Paypal is its own law, your wrong about can't reversing transactions, it has happened to me but not to the tune of $5500 dollar.
Willabong
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 10:12 am

Re: STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON

Postby ezzy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:46 pm

So what happened about this drama? just curious
ezzy
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:24 pm
Location: Brisbane

STOLEN NSW: 2009 SPECIALIZED STUMP JUMPER EXPERT CARBON MTB

Postby scotto » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:35 pm

After reading through all this I find it amazing that the sale went through. How in gods name could you part with a 5k bike without receiving full payment up front. "drip fed payments" that dragged on for 6 weeks after without being disrespectful, are you a complete idiot ? Your name ain't Denny Crane is it :)
User avatar
scotto
 
Posts: 2348
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:38 am
Location: Baulkham Hills

Previous

Return to Stolen Bikes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit