attempted bike theft at Riverton Forum

Has some scumbag run-off with your pride and joy? Post the details / photos here.
Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.

attempted bike theft at Riverton Forum

Postby Squashed » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:56 am

Friday 27 June 2014 between the hours of 8pm & 8:20pm
bike racks outside Woolworths & the Beer Wine & Spirits entrance at Riverton Forum Shopping Centre in Riverton.

some neanderthal has butchered my padlock with what appears to be a pair of boltcutters in an attempt to steal my bike again :(
There is Video surveillance of the carpark but not the bike racks. I'm going to see centre management in a few days and tell them to install some cameras over the bike racks.
This is getting annoying. I keep my bike but have to replace the lock now. Cable a month ago, lock now :(

It's not even a fancy bike ffs. Just a base model Giant road bike that is a couple of years old. What do other people do to make thieves look elsewhere?
Squashed

by BNA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:35 pm

BNA

Re: attempted bike theft at Riverton Forum

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:35 pm

How important are good looks to you?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Redbull » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote:How important are good looks to you?

Well it's difficult when you are really really good looking.

Get a beater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby justalf » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:16 pm

I didn't want to know this, I live near there! Unfortunately I think the ugly beater is the only answer. On the plus side, this is how you justify a new bike!
Yep, I have some bike.
justalf

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:37 am

Or THIS. :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Squashed » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 am

Mulger bill wrote:How important are good looks to you?

not sure I would be allowed to paint the bike matt black or coat it in chocolate :)
any aesthetic changes need to be removable otherwise I get in trouble :)

I kind of like how the guy in the video does his painting in the street instead of his own property. Not sure why nobody called the cops on him :)
Squashed

Postby WarbyD » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:20 am

Jeeeze, don't have much luck do you? It might be worth considering why your bike is being targeted.. Does your preferred lock look like an easy target? - Does your bike look particularly expensive (relative to the others where you lock it - you mentioned its; "just a giant road bike" - compare this to most bikes in the bike rack outside a shopping centre, I suspect it will almost always appear the highest value target) - Are you locking your bike in areas where there is a reasonable amount of cover to give potential thieves a feeling of security while they go about their business?

I am always very reluctant to lock my bike up at shopping centres if I can avoid it, and never without first doing a lap around to establish which I believe is going to be the "best" place for me to lock it up. I carry a small combination lock for those times when I need to duck into a toilet or into the local IGA near home, but if I know that I need to stop off at a shopping centre or anywhere that it will be for more than a couple of minutes then I take my U-lock from the office with mem
WarbyD

Return to Stolen Bikes