How to prevent bike loss?

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
donnaeastman

How to prevent bike loss?

Postby donnaeastman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Can anyone tell me how to prevent bike loss? You see my son is using my newly bought bike and he's really forgetful when it comes to his things not to mention he is super careless. He also travels a lot using that bike and I'm afraid someone might steal it or whatsoever.

bychosis

Re: How to prevent bike loss?

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 pm

1. Keep it between your legs
2. Keep it in under close supervision
3. Lock it with a decent D lock
4. Buy a cheap bike until he learns to look after it and do not allow him to use the nice bike unless 1.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:08 am

donnaeastman wrote:Can anyone tell me how to prevent bike loss? You see my son is using my newly bought bike and he's really forgetful when it comes to his things not to mention he is super careless. He also travels a lot using that bike and I'm afraid someone might steal it or whatsoever.
I'm not sure how old your son is, but if he wasn't responsible I wouldn't be letting him use "my newly bought bike" in the first place. I'd lend him an old one, or go down to cash converters and get him a cheap second hand one. My son is 19 and pretty responsible as 19 year olds go, but I'd only lend him mine very reluctantly.

Anyway, my rules to prevent bike loss are (a) always use a "D" lock (they're the hardest to cut) and lock it to something immovable, and (b) either ride an old bike, or if you have a new or expensive bike, store it somewhere secure.

(At my work I store my bike in a secure area AND lock it with a D lock. When I rode an older bike I didn't bother storing it in the secure bike shed, but I still locked it with a D lock, securing it to the bike racks. That probably wouldn't have stopped a thief with bolt cutters, but I figured (a) my old bike wasn't really worth stealing and (b) if it was stolen I could replace it).

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:55 am

Ditto.
There's buckets of online discussion on this topic. Sheldon wrote this, which you should read. Also have a look at the m'cycle forums, as they have the same problem.

some quotes
Sheldon wrote:If you must lock your bike in an unsecured area, choose an area exposed to public view if possible.
Sheldon wrote:If you use both the U-lock and the cable lock, you are more than twice as safe as you would be with either of them alone. Either type of lock can be defeated, but each requires a different large, bulky tool which is useless against the other.
Sheldon wrote:There is no perfect defense against thieves. In a high-crime location, take extra steps to make your bicycle unattractive to thieves. You can easily disable a bicycle so it can't be ridden away. Taking the front wheel with you isn't much trouble if you are going to be at work all day.
Sheldon wrote:Remove easily-removable items -- lights, bicycle computer, bags.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:56 am

Tell him of be wants to use your bike he needs to give you a bond equal to its value. That'll make him focus on what it's actually worth, if it hits him in the hip pocket.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Put Huffy decals on it.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm

P!N20 wrote:Put Huffy decals on it.
Then paint it like this
Sheldon's theft proof commuter
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

donnaeastman

Postby donnaeastman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I'll consider all your suggestions.