Cleaning Saddles

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Cleaning Saddles

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:39 pm

[img][IMG]http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/BaumRider/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/049690EE-E7E9-4048-9F12-883A039C486F_zps6qzcar8u.jpg[/img][/img]
Thought I would share this discovery....
Bought a saddle from turbus and wanted to clean it up a bit. The GLW suggested I use Chux Magic Eraser and it worked a treat. The above picture shows the saddle with one side cleaned and the other side untouched. Since the photo I have evened it up and then had another go at the clean side and now the whole thing looks pretty good.
The great thing about this eraser thing is that it is not chemically based.
I tried it on soft handlebar tape and it works ok but not as easily as it does on saddles.
Any tips on cleaning soft handlebar tape? I searched and found an old thread but surely there is something easier than isopropyl alcohol or soap and water?
Andrew
gabrielle260

by BNA » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 pm

BNA

Re: Cleaning Saddles

Postby 8Track » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 pm

White spirits works very well for cleaning just about anything. Its what is otherwise known as dry cleaning fluid.
8Track

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am

Nice...though I wouldn't use (let alone clean) a Fizik saddle!! Framing pine is more comfortable...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby Tzantushka » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:16 pm

8Track wrote:White spirits works very well for cleaning just about anything. Its what is otherwise known as dry cleaning fluid.

I understand white spirits is Turps.
Dry cleaning fluid is Tetrachloroethylene - and you don't what that stuff on your skin (known carcinogen)

Magic eraser is great.
Buy them in bulk from Daiso for very cheap.

For 'real' leather cleaning, the Ikea 'ABSORB' leather cleaning solution is also good.
Tzantushka

Postby reefer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:36 am

Tzantushka wrote:
8Track wrote:White spirits works very well for cleaning just about anything. Its what is otherwise known as dry cleaning fluid.

I understand white spirits is Turps.
Dry cleaning fluid is Tetrachloroethylene - and you don't what that stuff on your skin (known carcinogen)

Magic eraser is great.
Buy them in bulk from Daiso for very cheap.

For 'real' leather cleaning, the Ikea 'ABSORB' leather cleaning solution is also good.

White spirits is not Turps. When I used it, parts were generally residue free after cleaning, unlike Turps. Of course, if we wanted it truly clean we would use Tric, Naptha or drop it in a ultrasonic Freon bath.

White Spirits, PD680, used by many of us in the aviation trade for a many a years also had the words Dry Cleaning Solvent on the tins. Now, I cannot say if Dry Cleaners that launder your clothes use it at all.
reefer

Return to The Shed