how to remove this freehub body?

defy1

how to remove this freehub body?

Postby defy1 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:53 pm

trying to remove this freehub body to investigate a rattling noise inside it.
I've gotten this far:
But for the life of me can't pull it out. Is there anything else that would be holding it in place? i thought there might be a 10mm allen bolt but there isn't.

Trevtassie

Re: how to remove this freehub body?

Postby Trevtassie » Wed May 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Some of the Taiwanese hubs have an allen socket coming in from the other side, but from memory it's a weird size, like 11mm or something, not metric, not imperial...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 pm

It's either a 12mm or an imperial that's not quite 1/2", and yeah, from the other side. Remember that because you're working from the opposite side you'll need to turn the allen key clockwise.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:42 pm

Duck! wrote:It's either a 12mm or an imperial that's not quite 1/2", and yeah, from the other side. Remember that because you're working from the opposite side you'll need to turn the allen key clockwise.

Thanks how do you know its 12, not 14mm?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Because if it's too big it won't fit through the axle hole in the off-side cup. I can't recall exactly what size it is, but definitely smaller than 1/2" (which is a poofteenth under 13mm).

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed May 03, 2017 10:22 pm

What hub is it. There are some odd sized allen keys needed for some freehub bodies. 11mm etc
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed May 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Baalzamon wrote:What hub is it. There are some odd sized allen keys needed for some freehub bodies. 11mm etc

Yeah, I tossed the last one I was working on, got blank looks at the local tool shop when I asked for an 11mm and couldn't be bothered waiting for one to arrive.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 pm

I recently removed a freehub from a Joytech hub. Was 12 mm allen key from the non drive side, but undoes counterclockwise as normal looking from the non drive side.
12 mm Bondhus allen key purchased from Venables in Perth, other similar shops in Perth = Toolmart, Covs, Blackwoods, Total Tools , Toolmart, not sure if any of these in other states. Chain hardware unlikely to have.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:09 am

Baalzamon wrote:What hub is it. There are some odd sized allen keys needed for some freehub bodies. 11mm etc

Its some novatec mtb hub. I have 10 mm but it seems quite small, not sure if 12 is sufficient but its hard to tell. I have a 14mm ordered.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:28 am

made a video of the rattling noise I've noticed within the freehub body
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwPVcxbHlA
appreciate feedback if anyone knows of what the issue might be
this noise definitely comes from the freehub, as it occurs even when I remove the axle and cone bearings .
this wheels/hubs are less than a month old

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 04, 2017 10:31 am

Just checked in my spares pile at work. It needs a 7/16" allen key.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:09 pm

Duck! wrote:It's either a 12mm or an imperial that's not quite 1/2", and yeah, from the other side. Remember that because you're working from the opposite side you'll need to turn the allen key clockwise.

thanks - managed to get a 12mm, and it fits through the non drive side. Definitely clockwise right? Asking because its really really tight, making sure that I am not doing any damage

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Most likely clockwise, because you're screwing it away from you, but just to be difficult some uncommon ones have a captive nut inside the hub shell that screws onto the back of the freewheel body. If you have this type it will be anti-clockwise to undo the nut.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Duck! wrote:Most likely clockwise, because you're screwing it away from you, but just to be difficult some uncommon ones have a captive nut inside the hub shell that screws onto the back of the freewheel body. If you have this type it will be anti-clockwise to undo the nut.

Thanks ...yes based on this, now I am unsure if clockwise or anti. Need to be safe than sorry. Is there any way to definitively tell?
There is no markings or anything on this hub to tell me the model or make.
I tried to take a pic of the non drive side, but its impossible to show the details. It does seem to be some kind of "end" cap on the non drive side.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:55 pm

twowheels wrote:I recently removed a freehub from a Joytech hub. Was 12 mm allen key from the non drive side, but undoes counterclockwise as normal looking from the non drive side.
12 mm Bondhus allen key purchased from Venables in Perth, other similar shops in Perth = Toolmart, Covs, Blackwoods, Total Tools , Toolmart, not sure if any of these in other states. Chain hardware unlikely to have.

I googled Joytech and mine does look very similar..

MelodyWheels

Postby MelodyWheels » Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm

'Yeap... just hope its not a 13mm hex key :-)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQUa-TgljIf ... lodywheels

The Bondas T-handles come in metric and imperial. You can usually buy them individually from good tool shops. The bike industry extra long L-handles are the best for leverage.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu May 04, 2017 8:54 pm

MelodyWheels wrote:'Yeap... just hope its not a 13mm hex key :-)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQUa-TgljIf ... lodywheels

The Bondas T-handles come in metric and imperial. You can usually buy them individually from good tool shops. The bike industry extra long L-handles are the best for leverage.

I got my ultra-large hex keys off ebay.

The long end does not have the ball on it, so I inserted that end into to the hub and used a adjustable wrench at the bend to get leverage.

from my experience on the smaller allen keys with the ball end, I can't apply much torque, they slip. Not sure if its the same for the large ones.

micr0wave

Postby micr0wave » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:22 pm

I have a similar hub on my Velocity Australia wheel. A ZXN or 'triple square' internal wrenching tool of long reach and 12 mm size did fit perfectly. This tool is well known in the European auto industry. It is similar to an 12 point Allen except having the points are 90 degree triangles rather than 120 degrees. Makes the tool more slip resistant. Usually comes a bit mounted in a socket or has a hex base that will fit a standard metric size.