Basic Functions for a Commuter Bike

Auditek15

Basic Functions for a Commuter Bike

Postby Auditek15 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi everyone.

I was just wanting to buy a new bike which I can drive to and from work which is 30 mins away. But I'll be using almost everyday.

What are the basic features I should look out for in a Commuter bike, when buying one?

Cheers.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Basic Functions for a Commuter Bike

Postby Duck! » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:59 pm

The only critical thing to nail down is that it's the right size. 30 mins each way isn't that long, but is long enough to cause problems if the bike is the wrong size or poorly set up.

Beyond that, it depends on your route, and whether you want to use the bike for other rides as well, and how much, if any luggage you need to carry on the commute. These considerations will play a part in what the best type of bike may be, but without this kind of information we can't really give any more precise advice.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MattyK

Re: Basic Functions for a Commuter Bike

Postby MattyK » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 am

30 minutes is a fair way for a new rider, but something you'd get used to quickly.

People commute on just about anything so there is no one correct answer. Most people start with what they have, then adapt it to suit better, then eventually upgrade to something better. Then repeat...

But some things I would consider:
What terrain are you riding on? If there is significant amounts of offroad or gravel then look for wider tyres, otherwise go narrow (25-32).
Speed isn't your number one goal, reliability is.
Tyres can and probably will be swapped at some point, usually for more puncture protection. At which point you can play with tyre widths and compounds.
Suspension is usually a waste on the road. Best avoided if possible.
How fit are you/how fit do you plan on being? More fit = more aggressive bike position is more comfortable.
How many hills? Most bikes should have sufficient gearing, but if you're in a very flat area then a single speed might be sufficient, simple and super robust.
Eventually you'll ride in the rain. Rain is nice. Road spray is not nice. Mudguards are awesome.
Eventually you'll ride in the dark. Get some good lights. Ones that don't blind people.
What are you carrying? Backpacks are typically fine. Pannier racks and bags are also nice and stop your back from getting too sweaty.
Where are you parking? Do you need a lock? Do you care about leaving a fancy/expensive bike in public?
What change facilities do you have?
Cycle specific clothing is nice. Everyone starts with "I'd never wear lycra and I'll look stupid in those silly shorts, and I'd fall over if my feet were clipped to the pedals" and 12 months later there they are... On the other hand if you are restrained enough to ride slowly and gently and don't have hills, nor a shower to get to, then maybe you could ride in your civvies.