cleaning old glue off.

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

cleaning old glue off.

Postby Parrott » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:52 pm

Got some race wheels with tubular tyres and have had to remove the back tyre due to the presta valve head screwing itself down inside the valve extension. The little screw thingy is now loctited open :x . I am trying to get the old glue off the rim and tyre before reglueing and have been told to use shellite as it is safe for carbon wheels I'm also told. It seems to be working, albeit slowly and labouriously, on the wheel, but I can't scrub the inside of the tyre as well with my shellite soaked rag and it aint doing much. Any other ideas? Acetone, Kero?
Parrott

by BNA » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:11 pm

BNA

Postby fixie » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Don't put Acetone near your tyre, and Kero will not work. Why bother. If you have a clean rim, the new glue will soften the old and I do not think that you will have a problem. I have never tried to clean off a tyre.
fixie

Postby Parrott » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:15 pm

fixie wrote:Don't put Acetone near your tyre, and Kero will not work. Why bother. If you have a clean rim, the new glue will soften the old and I do not think that you will have a problem. I have never tried to clean off a tyre.

No worries thanks. I've never had a bash at this before. Prior to removing the tyre I was worried about how secure it was in corners. Not any more. Blisterred both thumbs getting it off the rim :lol:
Parrott

Return to The Shed