Shimano 105 Caliper Brake Adjustment

rgcrgc

Shimano 105 Caliper Brake Adjustment

Postby rgcrgc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:39 pm

How much shoe adjustment can I expect using the adjustment bolt on Shimano caliper brakes? a full brake pad's worth or will I need to retension the cable part-way throught the brake pad's life?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:03 pm

You'd probably get mmmm about 4mm worth per side, so not a full pad's width. I'd reckon on retensioning at least once or twice in a cable's life.

Having said that, what is the lifespan of a cable? If it ain't broke I don't fix it, so my Ultegra cables are nearly 6 years old, I have others which must be older.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:44 pm

rustychisel wrote:...I'd reckon on retensioning at least once or twice in a cable's life...
Thanks. However, based on your answer, I'm wondering if I used the wrong term when I said "retensioning". What I meant was (1) slacken the cable at the caliper end; (2) adjust shoe clearance by clamping caliper by hand; (3) resecure cable. Based on the approx 4mm adjustment allowed by the cable adjustment I would expect to have to do that once or twice in the life of the brake pad. Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
rustychisel wrote:...You'd probably get mmmm about 4mm...
Isn't "mmmm" actually 2mm not 4mm :lol: :lol:

Matty

Postby Matty » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:56 pm

Depending on how tight you like your brakes I'd agree with once or twice for the life of the pad. If you like them tight all the time you might need to do it more often.

Also you may also need to readjust the brake pad shoes too. The shoes swing through an arc and so as they get more worn they will move up higher/lower depending on the side. If your braking track isn't that tall it might start rubbing off the track.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:33 pm

Matty wrote:...Also you may also need to readjust the brake pad shoes too...
Gotcha. Thanks.