Tube patches

Kyoda

Tube patches

Postby Kyoda » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:37 pm

I'm new to the whole road biking thing - I've been a MTBer for many years.

On my daily commute I've had two flats in the last couple of days from road debris. I changed the tube with my spare on the side of the road and patched the tube when I got to work.

My problem is that the patches (Park - glueless) can't cope with the high pressure that the road tire requires and the air escapes around the patch.

Is this normal?? Am I up for a new tube each time I get a flat?? I've never had a problem with the Park patches on my MTB.

Am I doing something wrong?? :cry:
Julie..............
Cycling & Minis

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:04 pm

I use Park patches on the road side as a back up only (ie. After the second puncture). In my experience, they are good for a few months and would then develop a leak. My theory is that they can't cope with repeated inflation-deflation cycles. The other bad thing about them is, once used over an area, that area can't be properly patched using conventional methods ie. Expired tube.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:18 pm

I've ripped a couple of Park-type stickies off and patched as normal. Just hit it with the sandpaper a bit more than usual to amke sure you get all the residual glue off.

The couple of times I've had to use the Park-type ones, I've needed two overlapping to get the seal.

Jim

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:23 pm

familyguy wrote:I've ripped a couple of Park-type stickies off and patched as normal. Just hit it with the sandpaper a bit more than usual to amke sure you get all the residual glue off.
I'll keep this in mind next time. The goos were hard to remove on two occurrences and led to my abandonment and retirement of those tubes.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Tom Marius

Re: Tube patches

Postby Tom Marius » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:06 pm

Kyoda wrote:I changed the tube with my spare on the side of the road and patched the tube when I got to work.
Slow day at the office? :lol: :lol:
-Drugs are for people who can't handle reality-

Hroethbert

Postby Hroethbert » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:00 pm

Thinners removes the park goo from tubes easily.

eucryphia

Re: Tube patches

Postby eucryphia » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:15 pm

On my commuter (AT) 90psi, I found the glueless (not Park) patches would get me home OK but deflate overnight.