Creaky bottom bracket...

Hebden

Creaky bottom bracket...

Postby Hebden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:26 am

Hi Guys,

I have a Camagnolo Ultra Torque Centaur crank set (about 1 year old) on my road bike. And when I stand and push hard on the crank side pedal I hear/feel a creak....creak...creak. It’s kind of annoying and I would like to get rid of it.

I was looking for some opinions on if I should try it myself and what I will need. I need some kind of bottom bracket tool that fits the 16 tooth ring on either side if the BB. And Do I need a toque wrench? Is that so I don't over/under tighten anything?

If I do it, what should I look for? What could be causing the creaking? Do I just grease it up and put it all back together again? Also what grease should I use?

Thanks heaps, in advance!
Mark

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:25 am

You sure it's the BB and not, for example, your handlebars? When you push down on the pedal you pull up on the handlebars.

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:21 am

Sadly creaks and noises can come from almost anything ... headset, bottom bracket, cranks, pedals, frame etc ... I've resigned to living with a similar type of creak for a while with my bike. Hoping one day I'll take some part off and re-install and the noise will go

Try http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html for some ideas

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:24 am

jasimon wrote:You sure it's the BB and not, for example, your handlebars? When you push down on the pedal you pull up on the handlebars.
Yeah I am pretty sure. I was suspecting the handle bras at first though. So I had my son get down next to the crank and I held the bike still and put some weight on the drive side pedal. He said its coming from inside the BB. And it creaks every time I push on it.

I wish it where the handle bars... I have an Allen key :-)

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:47 am

itsaghostcar wrote: Try http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html for some ideas
Great link, thanks! I might get a second opinion on the source of the creak too.

alex

Postby alex » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:43 pm

i dont know if this is above board but i have solved creaking 'bottom bracket' issues with with a bit of marine grease on the rear quick release frame/clamp interface

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:15 pm

Creaking bb, cranks, pedals will all sound like the noise is coming from the bb; since the latter two are easier to remove/install than the bb I'd be doing them first...

RobS

Postby RobS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

IMHO the seat post is always the first thing to check. Stand-up and see if the noise goes away.