caliper to disc brakes conversion

vk3jap

caliper to disc brakes conversion

Postby vk3jap » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:52 am

I have caliper brakes on my GT iDrive 3.0 but would like to go to Disc brakes.. the guy at my local bike shop told me it was possible but practically cheaper to get a new bike. I was just wondering if the situation there has changed any?

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:34 am

It depends mainly on whether your wheels have disc hubs - I'd imagine your frame and forks have disc caliper mounts already, yes?

If you have to get new wheels, then it's probably not worth it if your current wheels are in good nick. I'd think about starting to look around ASAP for bikes at pre-AusDollar crash prices, as all new 2009 bikes have or are rising in price by at least 25%.

If your wheels have disc hubs, and you really love your current bike, then I'm sure by shopping around (online), you could find some decent disc kits to suit your budget. Be wary though, cheap ones can be a pain to set up, and you have to think about the cable-actuated vs hydraulic options.

Have you thought about upgrading to better v-brakes? They're lighter, and can outperform some cheaper discs..... :roll:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:54 pm

kukamunga wrote:Have you thought about upgrading to better v-brakes? They're lighter, and can outperform some cheaper discs..... :roll:
+1 on this option. Good quality v-brakes are very efficient and lighter than many disc brake systems. You'd have to be doing some fairly extreme riding to really benefit from the conversion, and since you asked in another thread about "converting" your bike into a HT, I doubt you're riding in those extreme conditions.

Upgrading your v-brakes will be the cheapest and easiest option for you. You've already got the levers, wheels (rims) and mounting points on your bike - all you'll need are the callipers (and levers if you desire them).

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Matey,
I've got big rotor hydro discs on both my rides but I am usually in slush and very dust conditions (Yes in the same rides) Discs excell in crud but agree totally with the guys, good V brakes perform very well and for a fraction of the costs. Have a think about the uses you intend for your bike and consider the options then.

Only issue is stopping can be marginalised in some dirty circumstances and wear to the rims in these circumstances can after a time become catastrophic (to the rims).

Do some ebay searches on disc compatable wheel sets and complete disc set-up (go for hydo vs cable).

If you have integrated gears shifter and brake levels, you will also be up for replacing the shifters groups as well. $$$ Unless you go for cable activated Discs in which case you can keep your current flight deck.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

vk3jap

Postby vk3jap » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:46 pm

thanks for the input folks.. much appreciated.

I had to really hit the skids today to avoid a crach and I must say the V brakes worked a treat. I just like the more solid feel of discs and I ride Mt Macedon a fair bit and when I come down I just hate the though that a cable might snap when I need it!

Conversely, with the braking being done in the centre at the hub versus at the edge, I do think about a total wheel failure/collapse under heavy braking - does it ever happen?

All thinks considered I think I might stay with my V brakes.. thanks for the advice!

munga

Postby munga » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm

get some avid sl's maybe

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 pm

I doubt there would be much risk of collapse; disc enabled wheels are made to be strung differently to rim brake spoke arrangements (rims can be the same as discs configs - but not the other way around).

"http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 604364.pdf"

I'm 89 kilos and 6'4" and can get mine up on the front wheel when braking heavily on bitumen; not a problem yet.

both my wheelsets are made specifically for discs; if you got some of those dodgy converters off of Ebay for example and used them under heavy conditions - you may well experience some arr - issues.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:18 am

vk3jap wrote:I ride Mt Macedon a fair bit and when I come down I just hate the though that a cable might snap when I need it!

Conversely, with the braking being done in the centre at the hub versus at the edge, I do think about a total wheel failure/collapse under heavy braking - does it ever happen?
Cable snap in the middle of a big descent, at that critical stopping moment? Sudden, total wheel failure under brake load? Yes they may happen. So might an asteroid strike :lol:

You're thinking way too much. It doesn't help you to think such thoughts in the middle of any big descent. Just switch off the 'care and concern' side of the brain and let animal instinct control your flowing lines. 8)
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:02 am

vk3jap wrote:I just hate the though that a cable might snap when I need it!..... I do think about a total wheel failure/collapse under heavy braking
Two words.....

1. Preventative

2. Maintenance

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:15 pm

V-brakes are fine in the dry but if it rains at all you'll know why the rest of the field are using discs.

I've been using hydros for a couple of years now and would nevr go back to V-brakes or cable discs.

My son has Tektro Auriga Comps on his Mongoose dually and they're actually OK. Alternatively pick up some secondhand Avid Juicy or Shimano hydros off fleaBay. Hayes are OK, but the pads are ridiculously overpriced. I'm a Shimano Dual Control man myself. 8)

Actually... (memory shifts into gear) I have a set of Avid Juicy 7's, X-7 27-speed shifters and X-9 RD that I might be willing to part with...