Cycle Computer

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Cycle Computer

Postby Cuey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a near new 2nd hand bike with a tronica cycle computer, and I can't work out how to use it...anyone help me out???

Thanks

Cuey
Cuey

by BNA » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm

BNA

tronica speedo.

Postby Z1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm

the speedo has one large button on the bottom yes? well it actually functions as two left does mode reset etc right changes and adjusts. if you hold left side in the light should come on. i bought one brand new but there were no englsih instructions. hope that helps??
Z1

Cycle Computer

Postby spottycat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Are you still looking for instructions? I can scan my instructions and email them if you need.
spottycat

Re: Cycle Computer

Postby hog5964 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:52 am

spottycat wrote:Are you still looking for instructions? I can scan my instructions and email them if you need.

I also have the tronica unit..... quite a good little device. I cannot put my hands on the instructions though .... and I would like to reset it for the wheel size of my bike. Any chance that you still have the scanned image? I would be thankful for a copy to be emailed if possible

Jeff. :lol:
hog5964

Postby robbo54 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi All,
I have a tronica Wireless Cycle Computer and yes I don't have instructions for assembly. I bought it some time ago (about 1 year) but when I opened it today no instructions. Would appreciate if anyone can help by emailing a copy or instructions on placement and setting the computer. My email is [email protected]

Cheers
Chris
robbo54

Postby PoppaDon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:15 pm

spottycat wrote:Are you still looking for instructions? I can scan my instructions and email them if you need.

Any chance of a copy of Tronica Instructions? Pls send to [email protected]
PoppaDon

Postby UbonVet » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi all.
Re Tronica Wireless computer, I would appreciate if someone could email a copy of the instructions to [email protected] I have had my unit for about 2 years now and have found it quite reliable but need to reprogramme it for new wheels.
Thanks Ubon Vet :D
UbonVet

Postby soc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:51 pm

I recently resurected my Tronica, but cannot find the instructions. After replacing battery, the unit should start flashing ready to program settings. Forgive me, but i cant remember what order right now (and I'm not about to reset mine to check :wink: ) but i'll give it a go.

I think right button skips to next setting, left button changes settings - if it's the other way round, sorry - take battery out and start again.

First setting is the wheel size - I used Sheldons Calibration Chart to figure out - I'm on 700x23, and used Group F, i.e. 2097

Next setting I think is your age - should be 2 digits flashing

next is weight - 3 digits flashing.

I think there is another setting next, but i cannot work out what its for so i left it as default.

Next is possibly Mph or Kph

Then should be the time and time format (12hr or 24hr)

That should be it - it should go to the main screen and be ready to rock n roll.

Note - no responsibility taken if this proves to be utter bollocks and i'm talking through my hat :) :)
soc

Postby Rumpy-Pumpy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:50 am

Serious?

"First setting is the wheel size - I used Sheldons Calibration Chart to figure out - I'm on 700x23, and used Group F, i.e. 2097"

Me thinks:

Align valve with expansion joint in concrete.

Roll bike forward one complete revolution of said wheel.

Make mark on concrete with pencil, stone, corner of brick etc., in alignment with valve.

Measure distance with tape measure or ruler.
I turned my watch back, so I would not be late.
Rumpy-Pumpy

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 pm

I've got a few of these Tronica speedos on my bikes, and noticed something interesting the other morning. I was waiting for my riding mate at the back of a secure building in Subiaco where the card access door is, and got close to the door to get the heat that comes out through the slots cut in the roller door from the building AC (it was 4 degrees at 5am), when i saw I was registering 74.7km/h, with both feet firmly on the ground! I was near the card reader, so I got back more than 18" and it stopped. I took the computer off the handlebars and put it close, but nothing happened. I then pushed the whole bike back again, and watched it flicker between 74.7km/h down to 74.2km/h. The cards are a sort of RFID, so i think that the exciter pulse must be going off roughly 10 times per second and be picked up by the wireless sensor on my fork and be sent to the computer by its normal wireless signal, which i think is something similar to Bluetooth. A bit under 10 per second, as the 27x1 1/4 tyre was set as 2171mm in the computer. I keep away from the card sensor since then, as there's no joy in a mileage on your odo that you haven't actually sweated for, is there?
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Postby alex p » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 pm

Looks like no one can find the instructions for their Tronica computer. I've lost mine too. Is there a link somewhere? My Tronica is showing a spanner icon and speedo won't work. Does anyone know what I should do?
alex p

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:44 pm

i just found mine last night. Back here in Perth with time to scan it next week. Hassle me if i forget
2014 goal 52000m
wqlava1

Postby alex p » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:49 pm

That would be great :D :D :)
alex p

Postby alex p » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:24 am

Hi there wqlava1
How are you getting on with the scanning? :D
alex p

Postby stylo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:35 am

Rumpy-Pumpy wrote:Serious?

"First setting is the wheel size - I used Sheldons Calibration Chart to figure out - I'm on 700x23, and used Group F, i.e. 2097"

Me thinks:

Make mark on concrete with pencil, stone, corner of brick etc., in alignment with valve.

Why do you say this Rumpy ? I've recently set up my 700x23C Group F wheels on a wired BRI3 with this figure ... It was slightly different to other figures I googled .. are you saying SB's figure is not accurate ?
stylo

Postby sblack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:51 am

stylo wrote:
Rumpy-Pumpy wrote:Serious?

Me thinks:

Why do you say this Rumpy ? I've recently set up my 700x23C Group F wheels on a wired BRI3 with this figure ... It was slightly different to other figures I googled .. are you saying SB's figure is not accurate ?

Sheldon Brown's figures are probably a good estimate but since different tyres don't neccesarily measure the same despite the same size designation and running different pressure, different weight on the tyre etc all make a difference too you can get a more accurate measure using Rumpy's method although there was one important point missed, you must ride the bike, not just wheel it, as your weight on the bike will compress the tyre giving it a smaller circumference.

My preferred method before going GPS was to use an estimate then ride a section of road of known distance, compare the distance on the computer with the known distance and recalculate based on the error.
sblack

Postby stylo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks heaps .. I'll do a comparison to my cars odometer when I get out next and see how far out it actually is. It seems as though it is more than a few hundred meters out over 10 kilometers ...
stylo

Postby malnar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:34 am

alex p wrote:Looks like no one can find the instructions for their Tronica computer. I've lost mine too. Is there a link somewhere? My Tronica is showing a spanner icon and speedo won't work. Does anyone know what I should do?

I've got a Tronica non-wireless that I bought at Aldi for $10 about 2 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. The spanner icon is just telling you it thinks the bike needs a service (it can be set to appear after x kms). I've got my instructions at home for the non-wireless version. I'm happy to scan and email if that helps anyone.
malnar

Postby sblack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 am

stylo wrote:Thanks heaps .. I'll do a comparison to my cars odometer when I get out next and see how far out it actually is. It seems as though it is more than a few hundred meters out over 10 kilometers ...

How accurate is your car odometer? I know mine is out by somewhere between 100 and 200m over 5 km.
sblack

Postby stylo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:38 am

AND i was to say ... my car odometer is probably out by a few % also !! Can't win - I will just calibrate to another bike rider that has done it 'properly'.
stylo

Return to The Shed