Painting a frame at home

elStado

Re: Painting a frame at home

Postby elStado » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:59 pm

Alistair wrote:You have to be really patient. Lots of light colour coats, then lots more light clear coats. Let it set for a week or two then rub it back with 2000 grit and cut it and polish it up. I got one frame looking much better than another I had powdercoated, but it is a slow and usually frustrating process.

You can't get rattlecans looking good out of the can. If you go heavy enough to get it glossy it will run as the paint is thinner than if you use a gun. I've had a couple look decent straight off, but using lots of clear and rubbing it back will look much more even and hide small mistakes.
Thanks for the info. It was as I was expecting. I used to be into the computer modding scene (still have a 3/4 finished project sitting in storage), which has a lot of DIY can spray painting due to convenience.

I spent many, many hours sanding, prepping, layering, rubbing back, clear etc.

E.g.

From this:

To this:

(this isn't a good example, I have actually sanded it back and re-sprayed it since as there were some issues with the job)

I plan on finishing it this summer actually as I will have plenty of free time and the weather should be good for spraying.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA