Tubeless tyre system for road bikes

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Re: Tubeless tyre system for road bikes

Postby Crawf » Wed May 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Mozzar wrote:IMHO the only advantage to tubeless is if you don't have 55gram tubes and would proberbly need more than about 40ml of fluid in the tyre. I wouldn't use tubeless for road, only for pure racing as if you get a sidewall pinch you won't be able to get the tyre inflated again and will need to use a tube.

Thanks for your input :roll:
Crawf

by BNA » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 am

BNA

Postby Crawf » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 am

sblack wrote:Image
They're here! Hopefully get a chance to fit them tonight.

Well, well, well? :)

They were on Starbike for about 24hrs before going out of stock - $109 delivered for a pair incl Doc Blue, that's a sweet price.
Crawf

Postby eeksll » Fri May 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Any one found any good informative reviews about the new Doc Blue sealant and how they compare to existing?
eeksll

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Sat May 18, 2013 4:02 pm

I have decided to give the tubeless system a try. Hutchinson tyres and stans sealant on my Fulcrum 3 (clincher). I usually end up with tiny metal particles or glass punctures. The one before the last one was a massive sidewall slash that ruined a tyre, the last one was the same except the tyre is holding together, although the tube is toast.

I'm hoping I wont have too many issues with the setup - I am thinking about running a tube on the front regardless, as I rarely (if ever) get front wheel flats, so I would have a backup tyre for the rear if it gets totaled. I see how it goes... Ordering from Wiggle this week.
RideLikeTheWind

Postby sblack » Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm

eeksll wrote:Any one found any good informative reviews about the new Doc Blue sealant and how they compare to existing?

Doc Blue is rebadged Stans. Schwalbe have stated that in their press releases and it says produced by Stans or something similar to that on the bottle.

Crawf wrote:Well, well, well? :)
Well, I'm hoping I'm just unlucky. Haven't had much time on them yet, just a few short commutes, but they do roll very nicely. However, after riding through a section of roadworks with considerable debris I heard the sound of escaping air. Slowed to a stop and went to find the source but there was no chance of sealing this one. Here's a shot of it after fitting a $5 tyre boot and tube.
I'm hoping it was just a case of riding over the wrong bit of debris and not a sign of the tyres durability. The light scratches on the rim directly in line with the cut seam to be a good indication that the debris was not too friendly. Now I am contemplating the best way to repair the tyre if it is possible. I should note that compared to getting a similar cut on a tubed tyre in the past, which resulted in an instant flat tyre, the tubeless tyre with sealant may not have prevented the flat but it did slow the deflation enough for me to have time to safely pull of the road, stop and dismount before becoming too flat to ride on.

So I didn't get a chance for any real test ride which is quite a disappointment as my only real review of any value would be to the fitting process. The tyres where fitted to American Classic Argent rims and since I had it handy I went straight for the compressed air rather than bothering with a track pump. First part of the process and it was time to try out the Easy Fit supplied with the kit. Easy Fit seams like a bottle of soap suds with an applicator similar to scuff stuff shoe polish. No major breakthrough compared to using soapy water but it is convenient and mess free. It also evaporates away more quickly than when I've used a soapy water mix but that could just be because the more controlled application means there's less there in the first place. In any case it does the job it's supposed to and because so little is used there will be enough in the bottle to last for many sets of tyres.

The tyre goes onto the rim much easier than the Fusion 3s did. Even refitting the used and stretched Fusion 3 after the sidewall cut incident proved significantly more difficult at fitting than the brand new Ultremo had.

Inflating the tyre and as expected with the compressed air their is no issue gaining a seal and quickly coming up to pressure. However the distinctive sound of the bead popping into place is absent and even as the pressure climbs well above where this should occur and the maximum recommended pressure before I decide it's not going to happen. The bead appears even and properly seated the whole way round the tyre though. Letting all the pressure out and the sound of it popping back of the bead is apparent as the last bit of air comes out. I add the sealant and inflate again. This time more slowly and note a very quiet quiet pop of the tyre bead popping over the last bit of the bead barb on the rim. No wonder I hadn't heard it before. While a GP4000 and a Fusion 3 produce notably different sounds to each other when popping into place they are both reasonably loud while the Ultremo struggles to be heard over the air rushing from my tank to fill the tyre.
sblack

Postby Cruiserman » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm

try glueing a patch on the inside of the tyre, roughen it up a bit with abrasive. I found patches to work OK on some very worn intensives in a test just prior to replacing them.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Cruiserman

Postby Crawf » Tue May 21, 2013 11:50 am

Bugger, i'd be weary of patching something so big with no tube pushing against it. Little 2-3mm slashes yes, but that's pretty big.
My 28mm are on the way :)
Crawf

Postby Cruiserman » Tue May 21, 2013 5:25 pm

air pressure is pushing against the patch unlike patching a tube where the force is trying to blow the patch off and the tyre is helping to hold it on. Seeing as the tyre is pretty much toast it cant hurt to try, gentle riding afterwoods to see how the repair holds up.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Cruiserman

Postby Crawf » Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am

My Sectaur 28's are on and have about 300km on them. On a rim with an internal width of 14.9mm they are measuring about 26.5mm wide - so still narrow, but i'm happy with the width, they may even expand out 27-28mm after a few weeks use.
If they were on an A23 or similar widish rim then they would probably be right on 28mm wide, but my rim is the reducing factor here.
They roll extremely well, haven't noticed the weight difference and the improved comfort & handling is great. I cant see myself buying atoms/fusions/intensives again. I'm very tempted to put these on the race wheelset.
Crawf

Postby YouAgainstMe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm

I just tried putting hutchinson fusion 3's on my fulcrum 1's but couldnt get them to seal, cracked the shits big time and went back to conti 4000's :lol: . I tried everything including using compressor but couldnt get them to bed no matter what. If anyone wants to pick up a cheaper set with sealant then check my post in the sales section.
YouAgainstMe

Previous

Return to The Shed