Fitting a speedo to a MTB

snedden9485

Fitting a speedo to a MTB

Postby snedden9485 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:23 am

I took the old wired speedo off the roadie to put onto the new MTB, but i have an issue. WHere do i mount the sensor pickup? Where else can i do it besides the front fork (which is gunna be an issue considering the movement issue)
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Fitting a speedo to a MTB

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:34 am

snedden9485 wrote:I took the old wired speedo off the roadie to put onto the new MTB, but i have an issue. WHere do i mount the sensor pickup? Where else can i do it besides the front fork (which is gunna be an issue considering the movement issue)
The fork lower doesn't move relative to the hub, so you mount it there and wrap the cable around the brake hose (disc wheel) or leave some slack if you're using rim brakes.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:36 am

Kalgrm wrote:
snedden9485 wrote:I took the old wired speedo off the roadie to put onto the new MTB, but i have an issue. WHere do i mount the sensor pickup? Where else can i do it besides the front fork (which is gunna be an issue considering the movement issue)
The fork lower doesn't move relative to the hub, so you mount it there and wrap the cable around the brake hose (disc wheel) or leave some slack if you're using rim brakes.

Cheers,
Graeme
Ok thanks Graham il get onto it. CHeers
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

cobba

Postby cobba » Sat May 02, 2009 1:46 am

Kalgrm wrote: The fork lower doesn't move relative to the hub, so you mount it there and wrap the cable around the brake hose (disc wheel) or leave some slack if you're using rim brakes.
Cheers,
Graeme
If your running a disc brake on the front run the sensor cable down the brake cable then across the fork arch and mount the sensor on the non disc side where the spokes are closer to the fork. The spokes on the disc brake side would be too far away from the fork for the sensor to read the magnet properly unless the sensor has 20mm of packing behind it.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 02, 2009 8:45 am

I've seem magnets mounted to the disc in some instances, but I suspect this is a special magnet. +1 to cobba and Graeme's advice.

provoked

Postby provoked » Sat May 02, 2009 12:42 pm

On this topic, does it matter how low/high you mount your sensor & magnet?
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat May 02, 2009 1:47 pm

No, it doesn't mater. The exception is that it can not go on the stauncheon of a suspension fork. The magnet and sensor must be mounted on vertically stationary parts to ensure they pass closely each time around.

cobba

Postby cobba » Sat May 02, 2009 5:29 pm

MountGower wrote:No, it doesn't mater. The exception is that it can not go on the stauncheon of a suspension fork. The magnet and sensor must be mounted on vertically stationary parts to ensure they pass closely each time around.
It does matter, it will depend on what the required gap between the sensor and magnet is. On suspension forks the higher up the sensor and magnet are placed the further they will be away from each other, if they are too far away from each other the sensor won't be able to read the magnet properly or maybe it won't even be able to read the magnet at all.
On Cateye speedo's it's not recommended to have a distance greater than 5mm between the sensor and magnet.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat May 02, 2009 7:53 pm

The distance between the magnet and the sensor was clearly covered already and I assumed the OP had read it since he started the thread in the first place. Indeed, it would seem that it was actually you that said it.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Sun May 03, 2009 12:47 am

Mine fits fine on the disk side, standard magnet etc. Also you can run the wire up the brake cable regardless of whether it is disk or rim brakes. Rim brakes have to be mounted static with respect to the wheel too for obvious reasons.