bottom bracket

scott71

bottom bracket

Postby scott71 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:07 pm

My bottom bracket on my road bike (steel) has way too much play in it, how much would a bike shop charge to replace it. I would buy a crank puller but figure by the time i buy that and the bracket it would be easier just to get them to do it. I dont want to get ripped off thou. Last time i had it done it cost 120 and that was a few years at least. cheers.

trailgumby

Re: bottom bracket

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 20, 2009 9:17 pm

It's well less than 20 minutes work, so at $70/hour I'd say $25 plus cost of BB unit.

Tools to DIY can be had for about $35, and then you can look after yourself, plus save 30%+ buying online. You pays your money and takes your choices.
Last edited by trailgumby on Wed May 20, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:18 pm

What type of cranks do you have? Brand? model?
What type of bottom bracket axle do you have?

The fact that you have a steel frame is unimportant, as the items fitted to it could be any of many makes, models , and styles?

Are you a competent cycle mechanic?

My view is that tools are not all that expensive, and once purchased can be used again of course.
Let us know more information and people will be better able to help you

scott71

Postby scott71 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:47 am

The cranks are sakae, i dont know what brand the bottom bracket is. And yes i could probably do it but have never attempted it before.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu May 21, 2009 9:04 am

It's dead easy; remove cranks, remove old bottom bracket, clean bb shell and threads, thread new one in (applying grease and teflon tape to the threads to keep water out and prevent annoying creaks), attach cranks. There are plenty of howtos online including a good video at bicycletutor. Makes no sense to pay someone exhorbitant rates to perform such a simple task IMO, particularly when they'll also charge more for parts than you can buy them for on the net.

There are a couple of traps for young players though - different tools may be required to remove the old bottom bracket if it's the old lockring style (you can easily tell by looking at the exterior of the old bb, and older ones can generally be removed with a hammer and cold chisel to avoid buying a tool for only one use). You also need to make sure the new bb has correct spindle length (again, easy to do by measuring the old one before removal).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:37 am

cost me $30 last time i had a set of cranks and BB changed
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri May 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Stripping out a BB is one of the therapeutic things to do to your bike. Like saying "I've arrived". And it sucks. After years of being unable to find my Shimano tools or the crank puller or the ring spanners, I now use a Phil Wood BB. Suddenly it's been one less bit of a bike to worry about.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat May 23, 2009 9:40 am

scott71 wrote:My bottom bracket on my road bike (steel) has way too much play in it, how much would a bike shop charge to replace it. I would buy a crank puller but figure by the time i buy that and the bracket it would be easier just to get them to do it. I dont want to get ripped off thou. Last time i had it done it cost 120 and that was a few years at least. cheers.
Ride into Nth Adelaide cycles and have a chat with kim(friendly/helpful) he'll probably give you a ball park quote on the spot.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 pm

ValleyForge wrote:... I now use a Phil Wood BB. Suddenly it's been one less bit of a bike to worry about.....
:shock: How are you managing the second mortgage?

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:02 pm

It was cheap! Bought online direct from Phil Wood before the GFC! :lol:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Perhaps it just needs to be re-packed with grease? Mine needs it - it also needs some new bearings added (mine has loose bearings and about 6 or 7 of them are missing at the moment).
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 am

I would get the tools, and a new sealed bottom bracket unit to match your cranks.

The sealed units are really a fit and forget item.

The only hitch with removing old bottom brackets is that you might require more leverage to make the thing budge. That requires the bike to be securely held, and the tool to sit securely.

I once tried to remove my bottom bracket from my Colnago frame, I didnt have a way to hold the frame and tried bracing it with my feet. Just could not generate enough leverage to budge it, so brought it to my LBS, and it took them 2 mins to get it off, and no charge. Obviously I made sure I bought some bar tape before I left the shop.

Pays to support your LBS and have a good relationship with them.

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 am

thomas_cho wrote: The only hitch with removing old bottom brackets is that you might require more leverage to make the thing budge. That requires the bike to be securely held, and the tool to sit securely.

I once tried to remove my bottom bracket from my Colnago frame, I didnt have a way to hold the frame and tried bracing it with my feet. Just could not generate enough leverage to budge it, so brought it to my LBS, and it took them 2 mins to get it off, and no charge. Obviously I made sure I bought some bar tape before I left the shop.
The trick is to put the BB tool in a vice and then turn the frame around it, that is if you are using something like a shimano or cyclo tool that is designed to be held in a large spanner or such. For an added bit of security put a bolt through the tool with a large washer under its head and thread it into the bottom bracket to keep the tool captive whilst you hoik on it.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:33 pm

:D Agreed, but the trick only works if you got a bench vice, and the bottom bracket tool as mentioned.

My tool that came with the tool kit used a socket wrench, and could not be secured using the QR skewers either.

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:36 pm

The last fixed cup I removed used the same splines as a Shimano JIS square taper cartridge BB so I used the tool, a 1/2" socket driver and a healthy length of pipe (RHS actually, but never mind) over the handle. Came out easily once I did that but make sure you're turning it the right direction :wink:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC