Deep dent on my 2 month old Giant Halo 1 *HEARTACHE*

HelloHalo

Deep dent on my 2 month old Giant Halo 1 *HEARTACHE*

Postby HelloHalo » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:13 am

Hi guys and girls;

I'm all new here, been riding a bike for 15 years, recently I got myself a Giant Halo 1...OK this is what happened.

I work in La Trobe valley during the weekdays, and I go home for the weekend. I pack my bike and take it with me whereever I go.

So I came back to Melbourne on Friday night, unpacked my bike from my car, and put on the front wheels and the seat. I lean the bike against a brick wall, with the left handlebar supporting the bike upright. I turn around, next minute, the bike collapsed!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

So on the left top of the frame has three dents, and they look quite deep. It looks like it's gone through the primer as well.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

and i found two more dents next to the seat post support....

here are some photos....

My heart hurts now....! i look after my things really really well, this time i f*&*ed up!!!!!!!!!

So, to all the dudes and girls who know about paint repairs, where can I get this repaired???? Are there any DIY methods?

hartleymartin

Re: Deep dent on my 2 month old Giant Halo 1 *HEARTACHE*

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:48 am

Go to a hobby shop and ask for a tin of "Humbrol Enamel". Try to match it up with the colour of the affected area. Also ask for a good quality small flat paint brush. Expect to pay about $3 or $4 for each item. Clean the affected area with some super-fine steel wool, then a clean lint-free rag use a little methylated spirits to wipe it down. Open the tin of enamel and use a piece of wire to drag the pigment off the bottom of the tin. Mix gently a little bit. Put the lid back on the tin, wrap the tin in a rag or a few sheets of old newspaper and shake up the tin of enamel well for at least 5 minutes (go watch some TV or something). After shaking up the paint well. Mix a small amount of the 50-50 with Turpintine. Place it on a table, open it up and use your good quality brush to apply the enamel to the affected areas. Leave the paint to full cure for 24 hours. Rub gently with fine steel wool to smooth surface and apply a second coat. (Two or Three thin coats produce a better finish than one heavy coat.)

Humbrol Enamels have the finest pigment of any model paint available. In fact most people don't know that Humbrol originally developed their enamels for painting bicycle frames!

A suitable kick-stand would allow the bike to stand up on it's own.

Whilst I mention kick-stands I have never seen a carbon-fibre one. Perhaps there's an un-tapped market?!?!
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:21 pm

HelloHalo wrote:
So on the left top of the frame has three dents, and they look quite deep. It looks like it's gone through the primer as well.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

and i found two more dents next to the seat post support....

So, to all the dudes and girls who know about paint repairs, where can I get this repaired???? Are there any DIY methods?

On the bright side , they are not dents. (from what i can tell from the pics)
The paint is chipped. (like stone chips in a car bonnet)
You can do some DIY, for example you can ask a panellshop for some left over paint, and use this for a touch up.
Or try some nailpolish...and use this for a touch up...
This wil make the chips less obvious , and helps protect the chipped area.

For a proper fix , talk to a panelshop.

GrtX Johan
(what is your location?)
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:27 pm

hartleymartin wrote: A suitable kick-stand would allow the bike to stand up on it's own.
About as much a chance as you putting a derailleur on one of your bikes methinks :wink:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Gripsport can repair this. They specialize in metal bike frame repairs.

http://gripsport.com.au/

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:06 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
hartleymartin wrote: A suitable kick-stand would allow the bike to stand up on it's own.
About as much a chance as you putting a derailleur on one of your bikes methinks :wink:
But what if a carbon-fibre model were made available?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:11 pm

hartleymartin wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
But what if a carbon-fibre model were made available?
C'mon Yehuda....er.... I mean Hartley, you know Steel is Real

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:45 pm

hartleymartin wrote:A suitable kick-stand would allow the bike to stand up on it's own.
im_no_pro wrote:About as much a chance as you putting a derailleur on one of your bikes methinks :wink:
hartleymartin wrote:But what if a carbon-fibre model were made available?
brauluver wrote:C'mon Yehuda....er.... I mean Hartley, you know Steel is Real
Yeah, I know. I was trying to surreptitiously lure the carbon fibre weight weenies over to the light side.

First, CF kickstands, next CF mudguards!

See all you cool retro and steelie types tomorrow in your best tweed!

HelloHalo

Postby HelloHalo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:19 am

hartleymartin wrote:Go to a hobby shop and ask for a tin of "Humbrol Enamel". Try to match it up with the colour of the affected area. Also ask for a good quality small flat paint brush. Expect to pay about $3 or $4 for each item. Clean the affected area with some super-fine steel wool, then a clean lint-free rag use a little methylated spirits to wipe it down. Open the tin of enamel and use a piece of wire to drag the pigment off the bottom of the tin. Mix gently a little bit. Put the lid back on the tin, wrap the tin in a rag or a few sheets of old newspaper and shake up the tin of enamel well for at least 5 minutes (go watch some TV or something). After shaking up the paint well. Mix a small amount of the 50-50 with Turpintine. Place it on a table, open it up and use your good quality brush to apply the enamel to the affected areas. Leave the paint to full cure for 24 hours. Rub gently with fine steel wool to smooth surface and apply a second coat. (Two or Three thin coats produce a better finish than one heavy coat.)

Humbrol Enamels have the finest pigment of any model paint available. In fact most people don't know that Humbrol originally developed their enamels for painting bicycle frames!

A suitable kick-stand would allow the bike to stand up on it's own.

Whilst I mention kick-stands I have never seen a carbon-fibre one. Perhaps there's an un-tapped market?!?!

Thanks for your help mate. I used to build aircaft models when I was a kid, and I think I still have some matt black paint somewhere probably covered in dust. The humbrol stuff was excellent on models,actually I preferred it over water based.

And yeah I think i should also invest in a kick stand....funny how I want one now because I said to my gf "they look gay"....

sharktamin

Postby sharktamin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:23 am

I've never seen a serious bikie without a kick stand, are they gay? (I'm not gonna tell him.)
If all else fails buy a nice bag to fit over the bar where the chip is!