Threading shifter cables on an Azzurri carbon frame.

Nitram

Threading shifter cables on an Azzurri carbon frame.

Postby Nitram » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:32 am

I've just bought a carbon Azzurri road bike, and I have a plan to transfer the Dura Ace shifters, cables, brakes and deraillers across from my old bike. On the Azzurri the shifter cables outers terminate at holes in the frame just below the steering head, and the inners continue down to exit through a couple of little (like tiny- maybe 3mm) holes below the bottom bracket from where they travel off to the deraillers.

It worries me that if I pull the cable inners up and out through those little holes in the frame, I'll never be able to get the new ones back down and in again. I did think of using some kind of sticky tape to attach a draw wire to, which I can then attach to the new cables to ensure they can come back down through the holes. But the holes are so small, I doubt they'd fit the cable plus tape plus the drawwire. Am I thinking down the wrong track ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Nitram

twizzle

Re: Threading shifter cables on an Azzurri carbon frame.

Postby twizzle » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:00 pm

From what I've read, the Pro mechanics tape up all the holes except the desired entry/exit and then vacuum a piece of string through the frame.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Maybe I didn't explain my problem very well. So here's a picture of the exit holes for the cables:

The holes are, as you can see, very small.
I guess I was hoping that someone would say that the frames have little capilliary tubes molded inside them for the cable inners to travel through. That would solve the problem, but without pulling the cables out, I can't find out if there are tubes inside or not. My old bike (a Sentisi) has a similar arrangement for the back brake in the top frame tube, with no little capilliary tube inside. But the exit hole is much bigger in the Sintesi, and with a little poking around it wasn't to difficult to re-thread the cable.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
Nitram

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Errrr.... don't touch if it ain't broke?

But seriously - the cable got in there in the first place, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't when they were moulding the bike. There either has to be a guide, or you can successfully run the cable using string/wire/whatever.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Nitram

Postby Nitram » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah, I suppose so. I'm just a bit worried that I won't be able to get the wires back down and through. I guess I'll just have to give it a go and see what happens.

:?

Nitram

mikeg

Postby mikeg » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:05 am

Fishing line as the drawstring?
Mike G.

CAMWEST member

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:42 am

When removing the wires, tie a fishing line to the end of it with enough slack to be visible at both ends. Pull the old cables out with the fishing line attached. Then you should have the fishing line sticking out at both ends. Attach your new cable to one end and pull it through.