Fiddling with Campagnolo shifters

flyingporkpies

Fiddling with Campagnolo shifters

Postby flyingporkpies » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Hello ghurus,
Recently I bought Record and Veloce 10S shifters. The Record shifters have the multiple shifts up and down and the Veloce ones have the single click going down through the gears. Pros and cons to that, but I have found I really like the aluminium gear paddles on the Veloce (with the little hole for finger location), more so than the plastic on the Record. Is it easy/possible to swap this part and how would I do that?
Also, I prefer a down tube shifter on my Record bike and was thinking of removing altogether the gear internals, leaving just the brake lever. Is that easy to do and how would I go about it? Plus if I changed my mind and wanted to put the internals back in is that an easy whole sort of 'unit' thing or will I have a jigsaw puzzle of springs, clips and bits?
Cheers
flyingporkpies

gemm

Re: Fiddling with Campagnolo shifters

Postby gemm » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Changing blades is relativly easy, you need a pin punch to push them out, that said I have not taken anything apart other than record and chorus.
I dont know whether it's worth taking the shifting guts out of a Record Lever, just get a Record Brake lever instead!

It is not a 'unit' that you can simply remove, once you undo the main allen head bolt the whole internals go 'sproing' and you need three arms to get them back in there (well I use a allen key in my teeth, occasionally swapped out with a screwdriver but you get the picture)

I learnt how to rebuild the ergos by watching the campagnolo videos on you-tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t0ttU_Jm0Y (disassembly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSAnAmBX ... re=related (getting it back together again)
Getting the springs retensioned is tricky.....

Good luck.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:37 pm

gemm wrote: It is not a 'unit' that you can simply remove, once you undo the main allen head bolt the whole internals go 'sproing' and you need three arms to get them back in there (well I use a allen key in my teeth, occasionally swapped out with a screwdriver but you get the picture)
<snip>

Getting the springs retensioned is tricky.....
+1 It took me about 5 attempts to get my Veloce shifters back in one piece - and if it wasn't for you-tube I would not have believed it possible.

But now that I've "got the knack" it's pretty easy. Or at least it was. :-)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:32 am

gemm wrote:I dont know whether it's worth taking the shifting guts out of a Record Lever, just get a Record Brake lever instead!
To run without the gear shifting would rather seem to defeat the purpose of buying Ergo shifters in the first place (to me anyway), but you could just not run a gear cable through it.