Hydraulic disc brake pads, suggestions?

Cinder

Hydraulic disc brake pads, suggestions?

Postby Cinder » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:52 pm

I've got Hayes FX-9's on my current ride.

Long story short it looks like the pads have finally given up after years of abuse.

So, need to find a set of replacement pads so I can get back out there, safely ASAP, so a few questions...

Are all brake pads created equal(ish) on bikes, or is it like cars where the pad can make a fair bit of difference???

Should I do the whole re-bleed and all that when I do the pads or is that, as I suspect, a waste of time?

Does anyone know where I can find EBC green stuff locally, I have EBC green on my car, thought I might match up :D )? Local being Melbourne or anywhere in Australia that has online shopping... The specific part I would need if I went this way would be CFA277.

Thanks in advance for help/suggestion!
*** insert signature here ***

waynohh

Re: Hydraulic disc brake pads, suggestions?

Postby waynohh » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:23 pm

No point bleeding at all.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:14 pm

And no point staying within Australia, either, if you're buying online.

I was very surprised at how good the Goodridge Sintered pads were when I replaced my HFX-9 brake pads a few years ago (compared with the originals). They were both cheaper and more effective. My mate also expressed his surprise when I gave him my spare set of pads.

Chain Reaction Cycles has them. You'll get 4 sets of pads for less than the price of 2 sets of new Hayes pads and they'll be at your door within a week.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

After reading around on a couple of other forums I decided to give the Green stuff a go, lot of the guys seemed to suggest the others (red and gold) but think green will suit my needs. So I ordered them from Wiggle, not sure what they should be but got two sets for under $50.

Will order some of the other ones mentioned here and give em a go on my girlies bike...

:twisted:
*** insert signature here ***