Choosing correct size spokes.

The Surly Giant

Choosing correct size spokes.

Postby The Surly Giant » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:45 am

Hi.
I've been trying to determine the size of spokes I need to build a wheelset.

I have:
2 x MTB rims (Mavic XC 717 Disc)
1 x Shimano XT M756 6 bolt front hub
1 x Shinamo XT M756 6 bolt rear hub.

I've tried using the DT Swiss spoke calculator but I don't know what I'm looking for.

I was planning to buy the spokes from Chain reaction Cycles on-line but their sizes don't seem to correspond to any of the figures I get when using the DT calculator.

Once I get the right spokes, my LBS will be building the wheelset.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has previously built a wheelset using these rims/hubs and could give me guidance regarding the size of spoke I would need?

I'd also love some opinions on possible chioces of spokes (eg. DT Comp or DT Revolution???) for this type of set up.

I'd appreciate any advice.
1. Weekender: GIANT XTC2 with Surly rigid forks
2. Commuter: GIANT ATX860
3. Single speed: GIANT Cro-Mo Rincon

wintal

Re: Choosing correct size spokes.

Postby wintal » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:16 pm

I used the spocalc excel spreadsheet when I did a wheel build recently. If you're getting the LBS to build it, it might be easier and safer to get them to supply the spokes- you'll probably pay double for the spokes, but you won't have to worry about incorrect spoke lengths.

Mavic supply the dimensions for their rims on their website. Shimano doesn't last time I looked but you can take a look in the list supplied with spocalc. If they're not in the list, you can start googling for the measurements, but the safest way is to buy them then measure the hub.

Disclaimer: Please don't rely on the numbers I've given below, they're a rough calculation and may be wrong.

I just threw some numbers into spocalc, using the data they had for Mavic XC 717 Disc rims and Deore XT FH-M756L hubs, 3cross 32 spoke (not sure if this is exactly what you're using) and got spoke lengths of 260mm +- a couple of mm, which c r c do stock. If you were getting significantly different from this, maybe you've been entering some data wrong, or maybe the design of the hub has changed recently...

Spokes only come in 2mm increments as far as I know, so you have to round. I can't remember if I rounded up or down..

Cheers,
Leighton...

The Surly Giant

Postby The Surly Giant » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks Wintal!
Much appreciated.
Ultimately, I will probably get my LBS to supply spokes and build the wheels. Sounds like the way to go!
1. Weekender: GIANT XTC2 with Surly rigid forks
2. Commuter: GIANT ATX860
3. Single speed: GIANT Cro-Mo Rincon

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:44 pm

LBS is a good way to go, but I've found the Sapim spoke calculator the easiest to use, and it gives good results.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:50 pm

I use: http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/ there is information on How to measure, this is important!
Cheers,
George.

fooch

Postby fooch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:21 am

Check out Human Powered Cycles in Thornbury, Melbourne - they use double butted DT spokes as their standard spoke, and the cost of spokes is included in their build price. From memory, they weren't very expensive AND they build a good wheel.
Piled Higher & Deeper

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:35 pm

I've just ordered spokes through work to build up a couple of 20" wheels. In the past, I have always acted like a constipated mathematician (and worked it out with a pencil) using a formula and a calculator to calculate spoke length

This time I used the DT calculator, and after a bit of initial confusion (confusing hub spoke hole diameter with flange spoke hole PCD ! :oops: ), I finally got results I was happy with. Now just the wait to see if Dirt Works supply me with the right spokes..... :roll: