Cane Creek S3: just can't get it right -help!

cooperplace

Cane Creek S3: just can't get it right -help!

Postby cooperplace » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:59 pm

On my new Ti frame from XACD I've used a Cane Creek S3 headset, and I just can't get it right. There's play, just a little, even if I do it up until it binds. I know it's binding because on the road it feels like the front wheel's stuck in a tramline. If I back it off to get rid of this, then the play is quite noticeable. I don't believe there's any problem with it being the wrong size: all the bits pressed in with about the right (considerable but not excessive) amount of force. I watched the videos on the Cane Creek website before installing & adjusting. They don't help.

At the LBS I checked several new bikes on the floor: all were just right, snug, no play.

Any thoughts or advice as to where to start are much appreciated.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

fixie

Re: Cane Creek S3: just can't get it right -help!

Postby fixie » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Check the squareness of the races in the frame and the crown race on the fork. Did you use a tool to install the races in the frame?.. I think that the days of just banging these in with a wooden mallet or a large piece of timber have passed, especially with the advent of lighter metals like Ti and Al.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:37 am

Ok, I will check. I used a home-made press to insert the races into the frame, and the race that goes onto the fork, I took it to my LBS and he used his tool to put it on.

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:22 am

Check that the base of the crown race on the fork is absolutely down. That there is not visible gap between the race and the fork. The symptoms you describe are usually caused by either the top and bottom races in the frame not being parallel or the top and bottom races on the fork not being parallel.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Don't forget to check no parts went in upside down, ask me how I know... :oops:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:45 am

after initially thinking "what kind of fool do you take me for!!", I think you might be onto something.........

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 am

Everyone, I can now confirm that Mulger Bill is a genius (and I'm not, but we all knew that....)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:48 am

So, what was wrong? We won't laugh, I promise... :lol:

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Remember you promised not to laugh. I'd installed the bottom bearing upside-down. Actually I installed top and bottom bearings with the writing the right way up on both. When -acting on Shaun's advice- I inverted the bottom bearing, the whole thing then worked beautifully.

I had checked the Cane Creek instructions and watched their videos and they are silent on this issue, but I can't get away with blaming them, because if you think about the headset should work, it becomes obvious.

It's made a big difference to how the bike rides. Before, it wanted to veer left, then a moment later, to the right. Now it is just as it should be, riding beautifully.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 pm

:mrgreen: Glad it worked out for yer coop.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:06 pm

+1.

It helps us all to be aware of such possibilities. We only learn when we make mistakes. If we get it right first time we learn little or nothing. :)