Creaky wheel possibly

eeksll

Creaky wheel possibly

Postby eeksll » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 pm

Hello, I *think* I have a creaky wheel. Symptoms are similar to those noted on a similar thread previously however I don't know if it is something else or not.

Is there anything I can do to test this out before seeing a "professional" (I really dislike going to the LBS). I plucked the back wheel spokes and one side is a lot looser than the other. But I hear this is normal for the rear wheel.

The wheel is true, does this mean I (well it wont be me) do not need to mess with the tension of the spokes and just some oiling will do the trick? or would it actually require tensioning after oiling removes the creaks? Anyway to determine it IS the wheel (i do not have another set of wheels).

any other suggestions?

thanks.

toff

Re: Creaky wheel possibly

Postby toff » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:24 pm

The creak could be coming from a whole lot of places. It may not even be the wheel. Bikes are funny that way!

Before you go too far down any diagnosis, I would recommend you put another wheel on your bike and ride around to see if the creak has actually gone. (I.e. borrow a wheel from a mate's bike.)

Let's assume it is the wheel for now... I will hazard a guess that it's the back wheel, because it nearly always is.

So the wheel is true. That's good, but is it round? Also, is it properly centred. (These questions aren't really going to resolve your creak, but it may add some impetus to visit the bike shop to get the wheel fixed. :) )

Now, based on my assumptions, the wheel is either creaking every revolution, or it is creaking at random times.

If it's creaking evry revolution, it is probably caused by two crossed spokes rubbing together. I suggest putting a drop of oil on every spoke nipple (so that it penetrates both the spoke thread, and can seep down to where the nipple sits in the rim, then giving every spoke a very small tightening turn. No more than 1/8th of a turn (~45º). Then de-stress the spokes by putting a tyre lever in the spokes as close to each spoke crossover as you can, and twisting them slightly. Noise should be gone after that.

If the wheel is creaking at other times, like sudden acceleration, or when you corner hard, then you probably have worn bearings in your hub). You will need to replace the bearings, or replace the hub, or buy a new set of wheels, depending on the wheelset.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 pm

thanks mate, Ill give that a whirl.

Notice it most when in the little chain ring, its a very constant creak (hard or easy riding). When in the big chain ring there are creaks just not as consistent.

provoked

Postby provoked » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:27 pm

toff has some good suggestions - could even be your seat post.

My rear wheel has the tendency to make some noise which is from a few of the spokes rubbing - sh*%*s me to no end.

I'd be a little reserved about tensioning the spokes, could make matters worse...
Giant TCR Alliance 2 '09

The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven. - John Milton

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:26 am

provoked wrote:toff has some good suggestions - could even be your seat post.

My rear wheel has the tendency to make some noise which is from a few of the spokes rubbing - sh*%*s me to no end.

I'd be a little reserved about tensioning the spokes, could make matters worse...
How about doing something old school then. Wrap some wire around the last crossing spokes 7 times and solder it on, no more rubbing.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 am

thanks toff, did as suggested, lubed all spoke nipples, then tightened everything by 1/8 of a turn and it seemed to have fixed my creaky problem. Been a while since I have been on here due to moving and lack of internet at home.

I have noticed several other things, all spokes are not the same tension, plucking them produces a range of different sounds. It was like this before I tightened and still is now :).

Wheel is almost perfectly true, not noticable except when i blu-tac a match stick right next to the rim. Roundness wise, is a little less true, it deviates by a little less than a match stick head (1-2mm ?).

Is any of this a problem? that would make me want to take it to a bike store to get properly fixed?

One thing I did not do is lube where the spokes cross, would it be a good idea to do this?

thanks again

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 am

I'm getting a little creaking noise from the front of my old Malvern Star at the moment. It's taken me a while to diagnose but it's not my front wheel after all. It's the bearings in the steerer creaking. Looks like I'm pulling that apart for maintenance real soon.

And Yes.. you need to do some more truing on that wheel. When the wheel is too far to one side, tighten the spoke that goes to the opposite side of the hub just a fraction, maybe another 1/8. keep going till you get little(1/2mm) to no wobble.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish