Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

drubie

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby drubie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:21 am

bondibaggie wrote:They feel slow to me.
I can't say my taters ever felt slow, they always deflated quickly! :lol:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Jerry68

Postby Jerry68 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Just got a new bike with Gator Hardshells (700 x 28) fitted. I was informed that they were pretty much bullet proof. First puncture happened along in the first week of riding it. Just got my second today after another 2 weeks. Had Scwhalbe Ultra Marathons on my previous bike and not one problem. Is there much difference in weight between Hardshells and Schwalbes?
Hooray for sarcasm!

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Jerry68 wrote: Is there much difference in weight between Hardshells and Schwalbes?
Schwalbes will be heavier because they'll keep the air in them, which weighs a bit more than a flat Tater Eggshell :twisted:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:36 pm

I dunno where you guys are riding - but i havent had a puncture on my Sweet Potatoskins (get it?) for 10 months or so. Maybe im just a gentle Potatowhisper and they treat me well... :mrgreen:

Jerry68

Postby Jerry68 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:20 pm

In defence of my Hardshells the shard of glass I pulled out of them last night was particularly nasty. I'm going to give them another chance and see how I go. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Covered 75 kms today and all good. Let's just hope it stays that way this time!
Hooray for sarcasm!

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Jerry68 wrote:In defence of my Hardshells the shard of glass I pulled out of them last night was particularly nasty. I'm going to give them another chance and see how I go. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Covered 75 kms today and all good. Let's just hope it stays that way this time!
By the time I was finished with my taters, I was half convinced the bits of glass were fitted at the factory :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 am

I've got a set of Continental City contacts. The problem I'm having is that after rain (usually) I get a flat. I patch the flat and diligently look for stuff poking through. To no avail :(. I put it all back together and about a day later flat again - in the same spot.

Now I just had a **really** good look at the inside of the tyre. Nothing to see. I had looked at the outside earlier with nothing to see. Anyway, I started looking at the outside and looked for holes. I would then dig with my knife. Eventually I found a shard of glass in the problem area completely hidden by the rubber over the top. So, these things totally disappear. You can't see them inside or out.

Now I reckon I've had this problem before. Is this is the problem that you are all having with these tyres? It's really giving me the shits because this type of surgery would be difficult by the roadside and impossible at night :(

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:04 am

Comedian wrote: Now I reckon I've had this problem before. Is this is the problem that you are all having with these tyres? It's really giving me the shits because this type of surgery would be difficult by the roadside and impossible at night :(
I've had all sorts of problems:

- hair shedding
- mystery flats
- snakebites
- itching
- oozing
- odd rash that refuses to go away
- marital problems
- hunger bonk
- general cycling fail

Now, I can't attribute all of these to the taterskin, only really the first three.

and of course the taterskin doing exactly as you describe - cutting and slicing open, sucking in some glass (or flint) and then slowly pushing that into the tube. It sounds like the problem you are having, so I hope the rest of my issues don't start affecting you too, as the itching/oozing I think may have contributed to the marital problems.

Comedian

Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:08 am

drubie wrote:
Comedian wrote: Now I reckon I've had this problem before. Is this is the problem that you are all having with these tyres? It's really giving me the shits because this type of surgery would be difficult by the roadside and impossible at night :(
I've had all sorts of problems:

- hair shedding
- mystery flats
- snakebites
- itching
- oozing
- odd rash that refuses to go away
- marital problems
- hunger bonk
- general cycling fail

Now, I can't attribute all of these to the taterskin, only really the first three.

and of course the taterskin doing exactly as you describe - cutting and slicing open, sucking in some glass (or flint) and then slowly pushing that into the tube. It sounds like the problem you are having, so I hope the rest of my issues don't start affecting you too, as the itching/oozing I think may have contributed to the marital problems.
Ok... Well if the tyres play up again I'll retyre( groan) them.

If any of the itching/oozing or marital problems pop up I'll be sure and post it up :)

Max

Postby Max » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:50 am

Comedian, I've seen this too and it's not just with Conti/Taterskin tyres. The method I use is to squeeze/pinch the tyre where I think the puncture has occurred. More often than not, this will push open a small hole or cut or whatever, and usually I'll find the offending item in this way.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

westab

Postby westab » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Good idea Max - my method is the same but I do it weekly (every Monday night) I check the tyres for nicks glass etc once round the tyre then I have found that the cork screw on my Victorinox knife is the bets thing for removing the offending item - before I get a flat (I will also do this if I knowingly run over a pile of glass). I also pump the tyres up to 120 PSI as recomended on the tyres. I have only had one flat this year in 3800kms.

The tyres I use are Maxxis Re-fuse (along with a Tuffy tyre liner in the rear) - they seem good on the puncture protection, the rolling resistance is a little high and they don't handle that well in the wet but I am happy with this setup.

I hate flats :evil: so I would rather do this every week than get 4-5 a year (5000 kms) even though it takes more time.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I can't find me bluetooth dongle :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I can't find me bluetooth dongle :(
Sucked up into a cut in yer taterskins?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:19 pm

drubie wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:I can't find me bluetooth dongle :(
Sucked up into a cut in yer taterskins?
Might be but it aint caused a flat :P
Mulger bill back in May with no Taterflats since wrote:It's obvious you have upset your Tater so much Drubie that it has chosen retribution.

I picked up a lump of metal in my rear after dark a while back but didn't flat. Being lazy and not far from a servo I decided to risk continuing to somewhere with more light. Imagine my surprise on arrival to find that the metallic lump was nowhere to be seen (it was standing proud) Ahh, methinks it's dug its way right in, so out with the handy tyre pick for a dig around. I never found the damn bit o' metal but I did dig out a chunk of glass :shock: It didn't go flat and still hasn't yet. I loves me Taters :D

Shaun
Mulger bill wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention. Gotta rough MoPhone pic of the metallic lump if yer interested 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Mulger bill no bluetooth everything is better with bluetooth wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention. Gotta rough MoPhone pic of the metallic lump if yer interested 8)
If you're going to decorate your taterskins with metallic lumps, first you just have to ask yourself: WWPD?

(what would Pengy! do)

:twisted:

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:44 pm

I've read your posts about how bad these tyres are and kind of dismissed it as a one off or just unlucky until.......had the wet weather bike on the stand for some servicing and checked the rear for cuts. Everything you've said is true, full of glass slivers with a big cut just waiting to explode. I used to run Michelins until they lost their way so moved to Contis for the past 3 years. Now after a recent front wheel blowout on a Conti GP (weak sidewall) and the glass prob, I'm going to try some other brands. You mention a good run with Rubino Pros, what's their wet weather handling like?

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:48 am

Uncle Just wrote:I've read your posts about how bad these tyres are and kind of dismissed it as a one off or just unlucky until.......had the wet weather bike on the stand for some servicing and checked the rear for cuts. Everything you've said is true, full of glass slivers with a big cut just waiting to explode. I used to run Michelins until they lost their way so moved to Contis for the past 3 years. Now after a recent front wheel blowout on a Conti GP (weak sidewall) and the glass prob, I'm going to try some other brands. You mention a good run with Rubino Pros, what's their wet weather handling like?
The Rubino Pro Slick is fine in the wet. Certainly no worse than the taterskin for grip and far better on resisting cuts. I haven't got a single cut in them, despite riding in the rain and racing on them on some distinctly indifferent road surfaces.

Can't say if they are any better than the GP as I haven't tried them.

Quinns Rocks Roadie

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:27 am

Any of you guys tried using flint catchers, or a glove on the tyres after going through glass ???.

Eric 'no punctures' McG.
Newer does not automatically mean betterer.

Max

Postby Max » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:32 am

Quinns Rocks Roadie wrote:Any of you guys tried .. a glove on the tyres after going through glass ???.
Yes, I ended up with a handful of glass and thorns (they penetrated the glove). Never, never, never again.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:28 am

Gator Hardshells now available in 26"/559 size/s

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:47 am

kukamunga wrote:Gator Hardshells now available in 26"/559 size/s
...because Continental are sick of just torturing roadies and want to spread the love to mountain bikers. Oh. Joy.

As for wiping - what Max said, only for me it was a bit of one of those wires that occasionally come off a street sweeper. Ow!

Quinns Rocks Roadie

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:11 pm

....Yes, I ended up with a handful of glass and thorns (they penetrated the glove). Never, never, never again.
....for me it was a bit of one of those wires that occasionally come off a street sweeper. Ow!
Boy you guys seem to have a lot of bad luck....I have never had so many punctures as you guys, and that includes running light silk and cotton tubulars (yup, used to train, race and ride to work on them).
Maybe the difference is that when riding tubulars, one develops a very keep vision/radar for anything that might threaten a tyre's integrity, and a matching avoidance response time.
Also I just automatically rub the tyres immediately after dodgy patches - picks out flints in a flash before they get the chance to penetrate.
I use these Bunnings work gloves and nothing has penetrated these..... there is also a version with gel padding.
Machine washable for when they get too smeggy.

ImageImage

The logo is also good knuckle protection when biffing cars out of the way......those retards that do everything to get along side you and then promptly turn left on top of you.

Eric 'roadie rage' McG

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Quinns Rocks Roadie wrote:Any of you guys tried using ...a glove on the tyres after going through glass ???
Geez, you are old school. I havn't seen anyone do that in years. Always struck me as a dodgy practice I gotta say. Rather have a flat trye than a gashed glove & hand.

BTW, my Gatorskins are still doing superbly. :mrgreen:

Quinns Rocks Roadie

Postby Quinns Rocks Roadie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Geez, you are old school. I havn't seen anyone do that in years. Always struck me as a dodgy practice I gotta say.
Rather have a flat trye than a gashed glove & hand.
Nah, I have never had any injuries from rubbing the tyres....the trick is to use very light pressure through the palm of the glove to dislodge stuff...works for me.
On eBay the other day I spied some old stock flint catchers that ride above the tyre and only contact when called upon....a light push down by the looks and no danger of hand injury.
I will make a pair this weekend and post pics.

Eric 'old school and proud of it' McG

Jerry68

Postby Jerry68 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Another flat on the way in today on the Conti Hardshells. I'll be going to Scwhalbes ASAP. Twice as heavy but if they can stop me from getting in late to work they will be worth it.
Hooray for sarcasm!