Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Robdog

Re: Gatorskin: WORST TYRE EVAH!

Postby Robdog » Sun May 23, 2010 12:36 am

I got a pair of Rubino Pro III from Ribble just over a week ago, around $40 the pair, delivered in 7 business days. Bit late now, but if you're looking to stock up....
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:10 am

Robdog wrote:I got a pair of Rubino Pro III from Ribble just over a week ago, around $40 the pair, delivered in 7 business days. Bit late now, but if you're looking to stock up....
Thanks for the tip, because I might have to do just that. After getting several good laughs from this thread over time, I now have a reason to post. I got a beef with Mr Continental. Old Gators were fine. I did a Sheldon-type change - bin the rear, swap front to rear, new on front. All Gators. Old Gators "handmade in Germany." New Gator seems to have omitted mentioning any place of manufacture. This is probably because they are now making them out of some kind of cheap, soft cheese. The thing has punctured three times in four short rides - in dry weather :x

Maybe the new Gator Hardshell is actually the old Gator with a fancy name and a higher price, while the new standard Gator is old Gator with less puncture protection - or something :? Either way, it didn't stop an lbs from charging $80 for it.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:11 am

After being a 'Michelin Man' for the last year, I just swapped to "Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons". Not having been a fan of Conti's previously, this one has been a real revelation - it's highly cut resistant and showing very few signs of wear, ie. the casting mark on the centre of the tyre was visible after a few hundred k's of use. I have punctured once in the rain, but unlike previous continentals it didn't peel open like a banana.

But: the local price! RRP $129 in Au., as still $98 even if you shop around, but only $48 from the U.K. I've ordered four from Wiggle.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:38 pm

twizzle wrote:I have punctured once in the rain, but unlike previous continentals it didn't peel open like a banana.
Like a tater you mean. Peel open like a tater.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

scotto

Postby scotto » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:22 pm

if you dont like peeling a tator, u need to try peeling an armidillo.
somehow i was sold a pair of specialized armadillo's. for the first two weeks i kept checking to see if my breaks were rubbing, as just moving was hard work.
it turns out that when a tyre weighs more then a small pacific island, they do tend to be a bit harder to ride..., oh, and i still got punctures at the drop of a hat. my pro3 races and rubino pros are yet to get one on the same roads/tracks

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Two more punctures in the last 24 hours in my brand new piece of shyte Gatorskin with less than 200km on it. Seriously, I should have bought booze instead. What a hopeless product.

Drubie, you shouldn't be so hard on potatoes. I really like them.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Fletcher wrote:Two more punctures in the last 24 hours in my brand new piece of shyte Gatorskin with less than 200km on it. Seriously, I should have bought booze instead. What a hopeless product.

Drubie, you shouldn't be so hard on potatoes. I really like them.
I must be blessed. Did another 100 k's on my Gatorskins today. I had a puncture on a wet day a couple of weeks ago, and cant recall when the puncture before that occured; It was several months ago.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Why do wet days increase the chance of a puncture?
2010 BMC SLC01

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:51 pm

hannos wrote:Why do wet days increase the chance of a puncture?
Greater chance of crap sticking to the tyre and having a chance to work its way through the rubber is one.
IIRC the water also acts as a lubricant, easing the craps passage through said rubber.

I still love my Gators (gemachtes Deutsch) :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Greater chance of crap sticking to the tyre and having a chance to work its way through the rubber is one.
Similar to the effect 2 panes of glass stick together when there's water between them?
2010 BMC SLC01

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
IIRC the water also acts as a lubricant, easing the craps passage through said rubber.

I still love my Gators (gemachtes Deutsch) :wink:
Well said Mulgar Bill.

I have also heard it put this way:-

"Water is to rubber as oil is to metal" in other words, a good lubricant.

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 pm

master6 wrote: "Water is to rubber as oil is to metal" in other words, a good lubricant.
I...got nuthin.

The rain insured that I finally got a puncture in the 75% worn Fuse the other night - big piece of wet glass from the bottom of a broken stubbie slipped in there like a shiv in white collar crim. So they aren't indestructible. It was a huge, sharp bit of glass though and the front fuse remained unscathed despite going through smaller bits of the same stubbie. Glass throwing morons. If I ever catch one they'll be having 'tater stew.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 pm

drubie wrote: I...got nuthin.
It'll be our secret then :wink:

BTW Drubes, I've got a nice Continental waterbottle... wanna buy it? Hasn't punctured yet :lol:
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Robdog wrote:
drubie wrote: I...got nuthin.
It'll be our secret then :wink:

BTW Drubes, I've got a nice Continental waterbottle... wanna buy it? Hasn't punctured yet :lol:
No way - if I had that bottle it'd leak and dribble down my chin. Plus, who knows what Continental make 'em out of - all those recycled BMW plastic bumpers are going somewhere and the last thing I want is a mouthful of BMW bumper.

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:41 am

scotto wrote:if you dont like peeling a tator, u need to try peeling an armidillo.
somehow i was sold a pair of specialized armadillo's
There's no one tyre called a Specialized Armadillo. It's a whole family of tyres and unless you read the small print you've no idea which one you are buying. Some of them belong on trucks.

I'm currently running the "Specialized All Condition Armadillo" which is a light "training tyre" but still manages to retain the notorious "Armadillo road suck". Still, it's a nice commuter tyre for road/hybrid bikes. Would like to find something better, but I'll wait for summer to experiment.

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:01 pm

In an effort thats almost guaranteed to tempt fate, I've now clocked up 1000kms with no puncture on my 26" Gatorskin, currently on my front wheel. Rear has had a couple of punctures over 1700kms.

I suspect Drubie must source his from Smiths, not Continental.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Fred Nurk wrote:In an effort thats almost guaranteed to tempt fate, I've now clocked up 1000kms with no puncture on my 26" Gatorskin, currently on my front wheel. Rear has had a couple of punctures over 1700kms.
Wind trainer kilometres don't count :P

Fred Nurk

Postby Fred Nurk » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:38 pm

drubie wrote:
Fred Nurk wrote:In an effort thats almost guaranteed to tempt fate, I've now clocked up 1000kms with no puncture on my 26" Gatorskin, currently on my front wheel. Rear has had a couple of punctures over 1700kms.
Wind trainer kilometres don't count :P
Granted, in a strategic move, I didn't ride the bike for the last two days, just so I could keep the unblemished record.

However, I've never seen a wind trainer that hooks onto the front wheel. I trust that this doesn't mean that you're getting punctures as you're always riding the bike backwards...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:13 pm

gdt wrote:I'm currently running the "Specialized All Condition Armadillo" which is a light "training tyre" but still manages to retain the notorious "Armadillo road suck".
:shock: I used to run those on my commuter and used them as the first set of tyres on my roadie. "light training tyre" my butt. They don't roll, they have no feel and they are bloody heavy. And they don't stop thorns or big chunks of glass in the wet.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Well,

Against my better judgment, I grabbed my last tater off the wall and mounted it up for a trainer queen bike.

Bloody thing refused to hold any air (ok, dud tube or poor workmanship from the tyre fitter).

2nd tube - an hour later it's dead flat. Wha?

So, for the umpteen millionth time I turned the bloody thing inside out and went over it in a bright light. Yep - more glass migrating inwards from a cut.
So I lost it. I threw the tyre, I kicked stuff, I swore, I shook my fist at the sky and shouted WHY??????

Third tube - finally, it's holding air. I swear that friggin tyre is CURSED. Even hanging on the wall it manages to pick up glass.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:56 pm

elementary pre-mounting check? = fail

ah well, with you out there somewhere attracting all the pointy bits I reckon my chances of being unscathed are better than ever.

punctures, punctures, punctures, punctures. c'mon, do your worst

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 pm

rustychisel wrote:elementary pre-mounting check? = fail

ah well, with you out there somewhere attracting all the pointy bits I reckon my chances of being unscathed are better than ever.
Yep, I fail.

Farkin tyre isn't helping me much though. I can guarantee I won't ride it outside ever again.

Between the Rubino Pro's on the good bike and the CST Travelers on the commuter I haven't had a puncture out on the road in months.
I should probably thank that taterskin for reminding me how to change a tube :twisted:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm

drubie wrote:Farkin tyre isn't helping me much though. I can guarantee I won't ride it outside ever again.
Stand by for reports on Drubies high speed roller blowout :P

Did you see in the Black Cat that I had a flat last week? Serves me right for testing a Kenda Koncept and leaving me luvverly Gators in the shed... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bondibaggie

Postby bondibaggie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:20 pm

Personally, I can't stand Gatorskins either. Have the 700 x 23's on my roadie and hate them. They feel slow to me. Have GP4000S on my TT bike training wheels and they feel heaps better.