Photochromatic sunnies

Saint Bastia

Photochromatic sunnies

Postby Saint Bastia » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:52 am

Are $100 (BBB) photochromatic sunnies any good, all should i keep on using my current ones that have replaceable lenses for different weather conditions.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

kibnedyo

Re: Photochromatic sunnies

Postby kibnedyo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Can't tell you about the BBB's but this is my experience of sunnies over the years.

Photo chromatics work well with varying light - cloudy and or in forest or city areas where one passes from light to shadow frequently. They become less sensitive as they age. In my opinion they work best in the non-grey tints such as yellow, brown and rose. However my opinion on this is more from my experience using photochromatic-polaroids fly fishing where looking through water reflections helps when sight fishing. Have both polaroid and non-polaroid photochromatic lenses and have to admit the non-polaroid photochromatic lens in virtually never used.

Polaroids help calm down excessive or hot light of summer. They work particularly well aound area where there is a lot of reflected light. They have a couple of down sides on roads sometimes where shimmering surfaces reflect and appear to to be wet/water on bright days and on dull days you can miss thin layers of water or other (oil etc), especially if it has been raining lightly.

When it comes to riding around dawn/dusk it is better to get the clear lens with the coating that helps bring up ambient light and no polarisation. No matter how 'clear' they go photo chromatic lenses are too dark for dawn and dusk situations. In fact I find they are almost dangerous as you are tempted to keep them on too long in fading light. In these conditions I don't use tinted lens at all and if necessary change from tinted lens to clear lens if out on the bike.

I find there is no perfect solution to lenses. I would expect the BBB's to be good for autum to spring riding in daylight hours, but a pair of polaroids in the peak of summer can't be beaten. If you ride into dark, then you existing glasses and changing lenses is the safest option. I know this will mean you have three or four sets of glasses on the go at any one time. Don't tell my wife but I have 6 types of sunnies I use in varying conditions.

Saint Bastia

Re: Photochromatic sunnies

Postby Saint Bastia » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences in your detailed post 8)

Oh yeah, only 6 pairs of sunnies that the wife doesn't know about. You must be an angel. Your secret is safe with me as i also have many cycling secrets that the ball & chain doesn't know about :wink: :wink:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."