Best Degreaser

bemper

Best Degreaser

Postby bemper » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi all,

What the best degreaser to use to clean bike chain?

If you don't mind sharing the reason why and where to get some and possibly price?

I was hoping this thread can help newbie like me to figure out what product out there and learning the differences in them.

Thanks,
bemper

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Best Degreaser

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Have a bit of a look around inside the shed Bemper, I'm pretty sure there's a pile of degreaser threads in there. :wink:

For mine, kero's the go.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:27 am

Kero, then lube with Inox. (Bunnings)

http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail. ... PLICATIONS
Last edited by gclark8 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
George.

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:09 am

I use petrol coz it's cheaper than kero. But they both work well and kero is meant to leave an oily film over the parts, which will help protect them from rust.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:35 am

oxy/acetylene is VERY good. It also has many other uses. It can be used as a spanner on every size nut or bolt (ask for the HOT SPANNER), and it can be used as a master key on every lock known to mankind, almost. In that application, it is known as the HOT KEY.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 am

Jet A-1 fuel. Pretty much the same as kero. I've access to an old 44gal drum of the stuff, so many many years supply.
LG = Low Gear

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:35 am

Kero followed up with a soaking in Motorex 611 to remove all oil film and leave a totally grease free surface. The reason why I use moterex is it's ability to clean and leave the surface clean and dry in about 60 seconds so the bike can be put together in a short amount of time again.

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 am

+++Kero again. It leaves a natural coating of parrafin on the metal surfaces so isn't as harsh on stripping the metal surfaces as petroleum based solvents. Best natural degreaser to have ever been. The $2 pressure pack degreasers from your local Supercrap warehouse tend to be a lot cheaper if its just a one off, but when was bike maintenance ever a one off thing!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:55 am

I think you're better off not degreasing a chain but trying to keep the original grease in there as long as possible and use an oil based chain lube to coat the outside of the chain. This should help take the rubbish off the chain either by shedding or wiping.

Having said that, if you like cleaning, go ahead. Chains are cheap anyway. :)

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:57 pm

+1 Kero

Best not to use petrol, it is corrosive and will eat away at the chain.
Yesterday was an easy day.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:50 pm

I use Pedro's Citrus Degreaser cos it makes my chain smell nice and chicks dig that. 8)

Or I just use my ultrasonic cleaner.

bemper

Postby bemper » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:14 pm

gclark8 wrote:Kero, then lube with Inox. (Bunnings)

Was told by a few LBS not to use kero with bike. Is this true?

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 pm

bemper wrote:
gclark8 wrote:Kero, then lube with Inox. (Bunnings)

Was told by a few LBS not to use kero with bike. Is this true?
Did they also happen to casually mention that what you should use is the degreaser they sell? ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:52 pm

I've used kero as the solvent of choice on Fe, Al and CF without spontaneous combustion of my bikes, dunno what they're on about.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bemper

Postby bemper » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:32 am

m@ wrote:Did they also happen to casually mention that what you should use is the degreaser they sell? ;)
Yes, but, I counter with the idea of using Australian Export degreaser.. and they said any water-based degreaser are fine. But, I think I seen a few thread they are more dangerous than using degreaser.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/HPA/Topics/Chemic ... 313434474/

A price on a 1L degreaser is $6.95, so not sure whether or not it is due to price or kero is much better cleaner (since it's probably stronger)

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... 52#details

Btw, how do you use it? Do you spray the chain or the cassette?

zero

Postby zero » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 am

bemper wrote:
m@ wrote:Did they also happen to casually mention that what you should use is the degreaser they sell? ;)
Yes, but, I counter with the idea of using Australian Export degreaser.. and they said any water-based degreaser are fine. But, I think I seen a few thread they are more dangerous than using degreaser.

A price on a 1L degreaser is $6.95, so not sure whether or not it is due to price or kero is much better cleaner (since it's probably stronger)

I stick some kero in a tin, pull the chain off (wipperman link is good for this) and soak the chain. Amongst other things it dissolves the lube thats on the inside of the link plates, which then causes the grit that has inevitably built up there (and is busily wiping itself onto the roller/pin/plate junction and crushing itself between the teeth and the chain) to fall off the chain. If you fiddle about with the chain on the bike, that stuff just stays there, and you have to put more effort in than soaking it too. If I have enough time, I'll clean the sprockets too - which is easier to do with the chain out of the way.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 am

+1 to zero's technique, I have quick-links in all my chains and have been known to remove and soak the cassette and chainrings as well :oops:

Kero is also reusable - after soaking the chain I let it sit then pour off the clear stuff into a jar.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:51 am

m@ wrote:+1 to zero's technique, I have quick-links in all my chains and have been known to remove and soak the cassette and chainrings as well :oops:

Kero is also reusable - after soaking the chain I let it sit then pour off the clear stuff into a jar.
+1, +1

I've bought a 4L bottle of Kero and it is lasting ages. Occasionally these days just buy a 1L "top-up" bottle to allow for spills & evaporation. Rather than let it settle I strain mine through coffee filters into the bottle to be reused. It looses its pretty blue hue quickly, but it's just as effective. Observe crud caught in the coffee filter to see how much stuff you've cleaned out. (yes, it is slow to filter, arguably not as slow as merely decanting and more effective if the bottle is then disturbed.)

I too use master links on the chains and re-use the little clear-with-yellow-top 1kg honey containers (poor mans tupperware) partially filled with kero as a shaker & cleaner. Other parts get a soaking.

But I think a lot of us are just repeating what's already been said on other threads hereabouts
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:04 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
m@ wrote:+1 to zero's technique, I have quick-links in all my chains and have been known to remove and soak the cassette and chainrings as well :oops:

+1, +1

I've bought a 4L bottle of Kero and it is lasting ages. Occasionally these days just buy a 1L "top-up" bottle to allow for spills & evaporation. Rather than let it settle I strain mine through coffee filters into the bottle to be reused. It looses its pretty blue hue quickly, but it's just as effective. Observe crud caught in the coffee filter to see how much stuff you've cleaned out. (yes, it is slow to filter, arguably not as slow as merely decanting and more effective if the bottle is then disturbed.)

I too use master links on the chains and re-use the little clear-with-yellow-top 1kg honey containers (poor mans tupperware) partially filled with kero as a shaker & cleaner. Other parts get a soaking.

But I think a lot of us are just repeating what's already been said on other threads hereabouts
+1 To all Kyms words, except the honeypot. I still swish about in a dish made of an old 4l kero bottle.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

Zoiks

Postby Zoiks » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:46 pm

zero wrote:
bemper wrote:

I stick some kero in a tin, pull the chain off (wipperman link is good for this) and soak the chain. Amongst other things it dissolves the lube thats on the inside of the link plates, which then causes the grit that has inevitably built up there (and is busily wiping itself onto the roller/pin/plate junction and crushing itself between the teeth and the chain) to fall off the chain. If you fiddle about with the chain on the bike, that stuff just stays there, and you have to put more effort in than soaking it too. If I have enough time, I'll clean the sprockets too - which is easier to do with the chain out of the way.
While I have read this technique in other places. Some articles I have browsed have advised against soaking in a degreaser. Reason being that the oil in the internals of the chain is put there for a reason and is hard to replace if removed. Instead they suggest just wiping the chain with a degreaser (if anything).This may or may not be true, just something I read.
Current bike: 2003 Giant TCR2 w/ full 105

MiG

Postby MiG » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:39 am

brendancg wrote: Best not to use petrol, it is corrosive and will eat away at the chain.
Care to explain? As far as I know that's bollocks.

rustybucket

Postby rustybucket » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:22 pm

I used Citrus degreaser on my 1st MTB chain and got 1600kms out of it, I let it go too long and the cassette needed replacing as well. I have used no degreaser on my 2nd chain and have ridden 2000kms and the chain stretch is only up to 1/32 of an inch, so it has a bit more life left in it. I don't use degreaser on my chains now. Just run the chain through a dry rag when you want to clean it.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Bit of citrus degreaser is the go for me (a bike specific product).

Don't do a lot of it though.

I regards to the petrol thing, not sure about pushies but I have heard that story in regards to other types of chains that have rubber/plastic seals in them. Someone with better knowledge of pushie chains would be able to elaborate I guess.
*** insert signature here ***

pagey

Postby pagey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:29 pm

CT 18
cheers
Pagey

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:02 pm

MiG wrote:
Care to explain? As far as I know that's bollocks.
It is the chemical makeup including such things benzene and sulfur that cause the damage. These are not additives but in the makeup of the petrol itself. While not going to destroy the chain overnight it will cause damage if used continually.
Yesterday was an easy day.