fairly deep scratch what to do

drumpayne

fairly deep scratch what to do

Postby drumpayne » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 am

I only just got my new Quantum 3 and rode it twice. On the way home i was riding and changed down from the big cog at the front and chain came off. I was on a realy skinny strech of road and i panicked and tryed to unclip my feet but i ened up pushing the crank around and the chain got pushed right up between the frame and the cogs.

I finally got off the bike and i found a nasty scratch that from my limited knowledge looks like it goes right down to the carbon.

I just dont know what to do.

ive got a few pics, but im a new member and i am not allowed to post yet. If someone else could post them that would be great. Email me on markpayne@netcall.com.au if you could help put the pics up. Thanks

Any Advice?

damhooligan

Re: fairly deep scratch what to do

Postby damhooligan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 pm

It's hard to see, but this is the picture.

The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:15 pm

First off: if you have the time go to the LBS and show them the scratch and see what they say.

ouch is it really that deep? or is the pic just making it look worse?

ScottyL

Postby ScottyL » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:46 pm

:shock: .... wow

Ouch that'll hurt in the mornin....

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...
All the best to you.
Oh I think my heart just stopped.....there it goes....

2010 Merida Road Race 903

drumpayne

Postby drumpayne » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks for putting the pic up.

Um... It doesn't actually puncture or scratch the carbon. But there could be a slight dint in the carbon.

The picture makes it look a bit worse.

I have taken it down to the bike shop and they have got it till the mechanic comes in tomorrow to have a better look. The sales guy said he didn't think it looked too bad but he said he has not too much idea about that stuff.

Because its a 2010model hopefully they'll be able to get a hold of some same colour paint easy enough. I just hope it isn't screwed. Id be so dirty at myself.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm

drumpayne wrote:Id be so dirty at myself.
So had you been fiddling with the derailleur adjustment limit screws ?

The chain should not fall off like this on a properly adjusted derailleur.

Ordinarily, the adjustment would be the responsibility of the LBS selling you the bike. And it should be their responsibility and cost to make good the damage resulting from it's maladjustment that you didn't cause.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

drumpayne

Postby drumpayne » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 pm

I wouldnt even know what a derailer limit screw is.

I had only had the bike two days and as far as i knew it had been fully set up new before i bought it.

But somehow i dont think that the bike shop would be up for that.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:53 pm

There's two philips head screws on top of the mech, they prevent the derailleur moving too far in either direction when set up correctly.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 pm

drumpayne wrote:I wouldnt even know what a derailer limit screw is.

I had only had the bike two days and as far as i knew it had been fully set up new before i bought it.

As a matter of Duty of Care and I would think a requirement of their liability insurance they would do a pre-delivery check of the bike even if it was factory assembled. I would ask the bike shop the question as to why the chain would drop with a correctly adjusted derailer and who is responsible. A carbon bike isn't cheap and you have every right to expect it to be correctly assembled and adjusted when you picked it up.
I would think Fair Trading would see it that way too.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 pm

drumpayne wrote:I wouldnt even know what a derailer limit screw is.
I suspected as much !
drumpayne wrote: I had only had the bike two days and as far as i knew it had been fully set up new before i bought it.

On what you've told us, it was not adjusted correctly and your State's Dept of Fair Trading will back you if it should come to that. A bike with maladjusted derailleurs is not fit for the purpose you bought it for, and is not fit for sale. In NSW you would be entitled to a replacement frame (not just a repaired frame).

Ask the question OldnRustry suggests, and be wary of any filibustering like blaming misoperation or user abuse. Hopefully, you will not have any such trouble.

If you put your location (suburb, state) in your user profile, forumites from the relevant state can give you more specific advice.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 pm

I have chains drop off the inner ring sometimes...it happens even with everything perfectly adjusted.
Thats why so many people run those little chain catcher thingies these days...even on bikes set up by 100 year old Belg mechanics.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 pm

My 'Dale has an thin alloy plate bonded to the chainstay for just that reason...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drumpayne

Postby drumpayne » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:08 am

thanks for all the advice. Very helpful. I am most likely going to hear from the guys at the shop today. I was working all day yesterday and my little brother took it down to the shop for me, and i think they were already trying to pull that it was my fault that the chain had come off for some reason like being in the wrong gear on the back.

Will keep the thread updated when i find out whats happening when they call me back.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm

drumpayne wrote:thanks for all the advice. Very helpful. I am most likely going to hear from the guys at the shop today. I was working all day yesterday and my little brother took it down to the shop for me, and i think they were already trying to pull that it was my fault that the chain had come off for some reason like being in the wrong gear on the back.

Will keep the thread updated when i find out whats happening when they call me back.
Seal it up with some clear nail polish and maybe put a lizard skin chain cover over it. You can drop the chain even when FD is properly adjusted. Get the shop to check it but I doubt you've cracked the frame - you've just taken a good chip out of the paint I would say (cosmetic).
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

MiG

Postby MiG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 pm

Mulger bill wrote:My 'Dale has an thin alloy plate bonded to the chainstay for just that reason...
As an engineer and a tightarse I am very impressed by that. Far too many products are poorly designed with no consideration of real world usage and damage tolerance.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:48 pm

MiG wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:My 'Dale has an thin alloy plate bonded to the chainstay for just that reason...
As an engineer and a tightarse I am very impressed by that. Far too many products are poorly designed with no consideration of real world usage and damage tolerance.
Um it aint bonded (bonded would insinuate more than glue right), I would say its stuck till it comes off... trust me, I got the Cannondale up from Shaun and mine came off, its glued.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Ahhh OK, mine looked pretty solid when I had the cranks out last Friday.

Live and learn...

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

MiG

Postby MiG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:09 pm

Missy24 wrote: Um it aint bonded (bonded would insinuate more than glue right), I would say its stuck till it comes off... trust me, I got the Cannondale up from Shaun and mine came off, its glued.
Bonding somewhat implies a high quality glue job capable of taking stress but it is basically gluing, so yes and no.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm

MiG wrote:
Missy24 wrote: Um it aint bonded (bonded would insinuate more than glue right), I would say its stuck till it comes off... trust me, I got the Cannondale up from Shaun and mine came off, its glued.
Bonding somewhat implies a high quality glue job capable of taking stress but it is basically gluing, so yes and no.
cool, good to know

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:43 pm

Polyurethane is great for bonding, Sika have some excellent products for bonding just about anything starting with truck and bus bodies. If the plate jumps off then Sikaflex is a good option to put it back on permanently.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

drumpayne

Postby drumpayne » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:19 am

Hi all,

talked to the guys at the shop and they are somehow working out getting a new frame off avanti because it looks like the frame has another manufacturing problem that was going to cause issues in the near future.

Im stoked.

But ill wait to see if it all happens...