Will I get gear cable across this shorter distance?

Evetsllub

Will I get gear cable across this shorter distance?

Postby Evetsllub » Wed May 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi guys,

Nearly finished my build.

Now have hit a potential hurdle.

this is for a shimano nexus 8 speed internal hub.

I want to run the cable naked from the downtube to the chainstay. i've got clamp on cable stops to do this, and there is a braze on, on the chain stay.

now the braze on is above the chain stay, but where the cable hooks in is below the chainstay.

do you think i'll be able to run a short length of cable housing between the two, or is the distance to short with too much curve on it? Not sure what to do if its not possible, finding a clamp on chainstay cable stop is probably the answer, but could be difficult.

Ive attached a picture to make sense, and the red line is where the cable is to go (but on the inside of the chainstay).

Cheers,

hartleymartin

Re: Will I get gear cable across this shorter distance?

Postby hartleymartin » Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm

You COULD try it, but I wouldn't make any promises that it'll work. You could always get a clamp-on cable stop for that part of your bicycle.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Wed May 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Give it a try.
If it doesn't work all you've lost is a short length of outer and a gear cable inner.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 pm

If a standard cable doesn't work try Nokon or similar...they would be fine in even half that distance.

Uncle Grumpy

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed May 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Or you could run a full cable outer to the shifter, though the multitude of zip ties might get a bit messy. Or even a full length outer to a bolt on cable stop on the lower part of the downtube.

I'd try it. But use a decent cable outer and lube the inner too - there would be enough friction in the system with that bend but I reckon you could get away with it.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Thu May 13, 2010 10:37 am

This would be the easy option... the shifter i've got already has gear cable with black housing attached... but it looks ugly, and i'd rather run the 'naked' cable if possible.

thanks for the tips. i'll give it a go and at worst will have to try to source a chainstay cable stop. If i thought ahead and got the braze on moved to the bottom before the framw was powdercoated i'd be in a much better position!! :roll:
Uncle Grumpy wrote:Or you could run a full cable outer to the shifter, though the multitude of zip ties might get a bit messy. Or even a full length outer to a bolt on cable stop on the lower part of the downtube.

I'd try it. But use a decent cable outer and lube the inner too - there would be enough friction in the system with that bend but I reckon you could get away with it.

Grumps

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Fri May 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Well turns out the distance was too short.. so i ended up just cable tying the cable housing to the chain stay, and it seems to work a treat.