BB7 disc: disappointing, why?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

BB7 disc: disappointing, why?

Postby cooperplace » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 pm

put an Avid BB7 disc brake on the front of my road bike, 160mm rotor, was v. careful to not get any oil on any parts, have followed adjustment procedure to the letter, but stopping power is v disappointing.

Has the standard pads (sintered), do these take a while to break in?

I guess I can always go up to 185 or 203mm rotor.

To the person who said I would fly over the handlebars: I wish!!
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.
cooperplace

by BNA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 pm

BNA

Re: BB7 disc: disappointing, why?

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 pm

Ride up the biggest hill you can find. Take a break at the top so you can concentrate for the descent. Ride down fairly fast then grab a handful (carefully). Don't stop completely, repeat on the way down. By the bottom they should be better. They may seem sticky and squeal to start with, but they should settle down. Worked for me.

Having said that they are going to pull up like V brakes in the dry. If you really want to go OTB with one finger, get hydros. I don't believe they are necessary though, especially off road.
Nobody

Postby cooperplace » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:21 pm

OK, thanks, I'll give it a go.
cooperplace

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:42 pm

Like Nobody says it may even take a little longer but I much prefer to bed the pads in on normal riding conditions over a few days rather than artificial force bed in. Also depending on bike many riders use 185/203mm rotors on the front (Providing fork can handle the stress) and 160mm on the rear for greater pulling up and control so food for thought for you. If you changed over the cables this will also make brakes feel funny until the cable has stretched and you have adjusted this cable break in period as well. When all is bedded in the brakes will soon bite so don't worry you haven't got a new set of lemons. :mrgreen:
}SkOrPn--7

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Give 'em time to bed in, they'll come good. The ones on me Kona were average to start out with (160mm) Now the only thing better is the Juicy7s on me MTB.
I dunno about Nobodys idea, I just drag the brakes while pedalling every now and then. Works for me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby MountGower » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:37 am

My BB7s worked well pretty much straight out of the box and are more powerful than my XT hydraulic brakes.

Are you sure you are using road calipers and road levers? MTB calipers with road levers will not stop the bike.
MountGower

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Just to add to the mix...

Make sure you've got the pads wound in close to the rotor too.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010
Uncle Grumpy

Postby baabaa » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Yup.
Give em time and maybe the odd squirt from your water bottle when you are riding.
Once they bed in you will find 160 mm is plenty for both front and back on a road bike.
baabaa

Postby master6 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:56 pm

I have never ridden anything except a road bike, so this question is from a position of ignorance on my part, not crticism.
Why do you want disc brakes on a road bike?
master6

Postby cooperplace » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:12 pm

baabaa wrote:Yup.
Give em time and maybe the odd squirt from your water bottle when you are riding.
Once they bed in you will find 160 mm is plenty for both front and back on a road bike.

squirt with water?? have you found they bed in more quickly that way?
cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:13 pm

master6 wrote:I have never ridden anything except a road bike, so this question is from a position of ignorance on my part, not crticism.

The question to me is why not? Disc brakes are clearly able to provide stronger braking than rim brakes, and shouldn't we all have the best brakes possible?
cooperplace

Postby Lark2004 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 pm

I hope your forks are well made.....

Andrew
Lark2004

Postby MountGower » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Where did you find that one Andrew? bustedsteel.com?
MountGower

Postby baabaa » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:31 pm

squirt with water?? have you found they bed in more quickly that way?
Yes, it just seems to wash out the pad dust and helps take the "shine" off the disc surface.
Same sort of thing with rim brakes but cause they are away from the road grime helps to give them a bit of a help.

BB7/ discs on a road bike?
Not really,more CX and touring bikes, BUT you can expect to see major developments in dics for road bike now that cyclocross racers can use discs....
baabaa

Postby Nobody » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:32 pm

master6 wrote:Why do you want disc brakes on a road bike?
Primarily for wet weather braking, especially in emergency braking where you can't afford to wait for the rim to dry before it works.
Nobody

Postby master6 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:33 pm

cooperplace wrote:
master6 wrote:I have never ridden anything except a road bike, so this question is from a position of ignorance on my part, not crticism.

The question to me is why not? Disc brakes are clearly able to provide stronger braking than rim brakes, and shouldn't we all have the best brakes possible?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my existing rim brakes can overpower my tyre grip , and I have never had any form of brake fade. I also notice that the riders in TDF do not use disc brakes.

In view of the forgoing, I am still at a loss to understand (not arguing) the need for disc brakes on a road bike.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Edit:- thanks nobody, just noticed your advice re wet weather; sounds reasonable.
master6

Postby Nobody » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:40 pm

MountGower wrote:Where did you find that one Andrew? bustedsteel.com?
:lol:
Actually that would be called bentsteel.com. Only carbon busts, the metals generally bend on sudden impact. That is the whole point of the bustedcarbon site.
Nobody

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Nobody wrote:
master6 wrote:Why do you want disc brakes on a road bike?
Primarily for wet weather braking, especially in emergency braking where you can't afford to wait for the rim to dry before it works.

+1 One really scary incident commuting on me roadie in the rain had me lusting after me current commuter.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Uncle Grumpy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:16 pm

I'd be too scared to use discs on skinny tyres on wet bitumen. I reckon I'd hit them in a panic stop and just lock up and keep sliding without decellerating.

That's my fear, whether it's justified or not I don't know and I'd be keen to hear what others who have used road discs have to say about modulation and power.

I've used discs on MTBs for years, including a sweet set of Hope 4 pots with 203mm rotors, those puppies pull you up so hard you feel your face peeling off but I do run 2.5" tyres on that bike.

Grumps
You are very tedious, and grumpy. Stay at home and give advice from your armchair.
- Stonedpirate, June 2010
Uncle Grumpy

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 pm

I came from Avid Juicy7s on me MTB to calipers on me roadie to BB7s on me commuter Unk. Much prefer the effortless power and excellent modulation from the discs.
It doesn't take long to get the feel. I'm just glad me 'Dale roadie is so much lighter than me 'muter or MTB, less mass to decelerate.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:25 am

bit OT, but i have juicy 5 160s on a deore disc and have noticed that they make a squelching sound. braking performance doesn't seem to be affected. anyone know what it is/ worth fixing?
jules21

Postby cooperplace » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:27 pm

master6 wrote:
cooperplace wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that my existing rim brakes can overpower my tyre grip , and I have never had any form of brake fade. I also notice that the riders in TDF do not use disc brakes.

In view of the forgoing, I am still at a loss to understand (not arguing) the need for disc brakes on a road bike.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Edit:- thanks nobody, just noticed your advice re wet weather; sounds reasonable.

Hi, it's not about whether you can overpower the your tyre grip, it's about whether _I_ can overpower _my_ tyre grip. And I definitely can't, not when my hands are up on the hoods, which is where they are much of the time. And the wet weather use is obvious.

I think discs are the way of the future for road bikes.
cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Lark2004 wrote:I hope your forks are well made.....

that is fascinating, and obviously scary. We would all be very grateful if you could tell us more about that picture: eg. what brand fork is it? and how did it happen? is it your fork? what sort of surface was the bike on at the time? anyhting you might know about it.

thanks
cooperplace

Postby Nobody » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:41 pm

cooperplace wrote:
Lark2004 wrote:I hope your forks are well made.....

that is fascinating, and obviously scary. We would all be very grateful if you could tell us more about that picture: eg. what brand fork is it? and how did it happen? is it your fork? what sort of surface was the bike on at the time? anyhting you might know about it.

thanks
http://www.rodbikes.com/articles/brakes.html
Nobody

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:52 pm

baabaa wrote:Not really,more CX and touring bikes, BUT you can expect to see major developments in dics for road bike now that cyclocross racers can use discs....

When did that come into being? The impression I had was they were still officially off-limits and with no prospect of it changing in the near future?

An excellent development - if anybody needs them, it's CXers.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Next

Return to The Shed