DT Swiss 240 Free Hub trashed

drubie

Re: DT Swiss 240 Free Hub trashed

Postby drubie » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:18 pm

I think I would try cleanup up the burrs as suggested, then filling it with metal putty and re-flatting it with a dremel or similar.

It looks to me as if the problem isn't so much the softness of the metal (although that doesn't help) but that the cassette body is just slightly too loose,
allowing the cassette to hammer on the spline. In other words, I reckon those hub bodies are rubbish not because of what they are made of, but the
precision with which they are made.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:31 pm

well, yes, no, not really. The major issue is that they're designed as carriers for 8/9/10 speed Shimano cassettes, even though in the jump from 9 to 10 Shimano redesigned the parameters of the splines, opting for deeper troughs. This is why the original Shimano freehub for 10sp was not backwards compatible for 8/9sp, which they then reconsidered and made a backwards compatible freehub. Shallower troughs allowed all splines, but 10sp ride in the grooves rather than snug firmly over the top... minimal movement which allows them to chew into softer alloys.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Drubie, cassette is on tight enough, I can assure you. Don't have Dremel, metal putty or time. At $18, it's a reasonable solution in my books.

Also, I've just got too much powah !!!

In the kit comes a thin cassette spacer, 3 roll pins, 3 x narrow shims and 3 x wide shims.

Weight is about 2g with instructions and plastic bag.

BTW, my hubset is Miche Racing Box, and at $100 for both hubs, they are not high end, but do the job well enough.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat May 28, 2011 5:49 pm

drubie wrote:It looks to me as if the problem isn't so much the softness of the metal (although that doesn't help) but that the cassette body is just slightly too loose, allowing the cassette to hammer on the spline. In other words, I reckon those hub bodies are rubbish not because of what they are made of, but the
precision with which they are made.
I am not sure there is a hammering effect, since its all tightened together with the lock ring, once its pulled to one side through pedalling, I dont think it will ever go back in the other direction (maybe if you get a fixie?).

i got my set and installed it today. They cost me $25, I got them from a different place to michaelB cause it was closer to me.

Seems to me the only difference between the 105 pin system and the ultegra clip system is the 105 spacers have too many splines so the clips wont be able to be inserted past the spacers. So if one had old ultegra spacers they might be able to use the pin system on 105.

The clip system looks like they could be a reto fit system, but I dont think the pin system could be a retro fit. So i wonder if shimano have their own version of this.

I was a little confused by the spacer, why add another if one was there already? What if I dont need a spacer? Anyone know if I should actually put 2 spacers on? As opposed to none at the moment.

pic of the kit.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm

eeksll wrote:I was a little confused by the spacer, why add another if one was there already? What if I dont need a spacer? Anyone know if I should actually put 2 spacers on? As opposed to none at the moment.
Don't add any extra spacers...

... and I have no idea why they would have included one in the kit. A spacer is required to match a cassette to a hub depending on whether the cassette is 9/10 speed and who made the hub and whether it's 10-speed specific, 9/10-speed.... or a Mavik hub, they do something different again.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...