Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

MichaelB

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !!

Postby MichaelB » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:02 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
My road tandem showed up today - very nice 700c carbon fork fitted with disc brake mount! Unfortunately the fork is a once-off at this point in time.
Well, if the forks become something other than a once off, I'll be interested to find out the details - cost, axle-crown length , rake and weight.

What would it take to get a "spare" made ?

BTW, bike looks good. Simple colours and branding :D

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:31 pm

MichaelB wrote:BTW, bike looks good. Simple colours and branding :D
+1.
My kind of colour scheme. Black and white.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Seriously nice looking unit.
Wonder if it comes in not white?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:30 am

Subscribed!
I'll be attempting a disc conversion on my road commuter in the coming weeks as well, never had disc brakes before, but I know my kool stop salmons are very overrated, on my second pair now and still unimpressed compared to OEM 105/rival pads.
Keep the pics and info coming Michael...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick update as to where everything is. In stock (in the shed) is teh fork, both hubs and the A23 rims. On the way from Wiggle is the Cane Creek headset, but still to come into stock is the BB7 road caliper/disc, and the spokes will be ordered on Monday as part of a group prder from Starbike.

Then the assembly will begin, and the measurements and pics. :D :D :D

So jacks1071, what's the go in getting another fork of specs at least ? :D

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:55 pm

MichaelB wrote:Hi all,

Just a quick update as to where everything is. In stock (in the shed) is teh fork, both hubs and the A23 rims. On the way from Wiggle is the Cane Creek headset, but still to come into stock is the BB7 road caliper/disc, and the spokes will be ordered on Monday as part of a group prder from Starbike.

Then the assembly will begin, and the measurements and pics. :D :D :D

So jacks1071, what's the go in getting another fork of specs at least ? :D
The fork would be tricky mate - anything is possible but the problem would be the minimum order quantity. I would need to ask but I expect we'd need to take 30pcs and the landed cost at a guess would be about $250AUD (give or take $50).

The steerer is an alloy 1 1/8 standard sized job. Rake I am not sure but at a guess 43mm which is the standard rake on all the PL road forks.

Maybe a good group-buy project for the future, don't think there would be enough demand at the moment though?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:53 pm

jacks1071 wrote:The steerer is an alloy 1 1/8 standard sized job. Rake I am not sure but at a guess 43mm which is the standard rake on all the PL road forks.
Damn. Pretty sure my 'Dale runs a tapered steerer.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 pm

Do you expect the BB7's to bolt on and align ok, or is it common to need spacers and different brackets for such a conversion?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:10 am

Jacobite wrote:Do you expect the BB7's to bolt on and align ok, or is it common to need spacers and different brackets for such a conversion?
Looks to me like it's got IS tabs, if so an adaptor will be needed. Avid brakes install and align very easily IME.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 am

jacks1071 wrote:
The fork would be tricky mate - anything is possible but the problem would be the minimum order quantity. I would need to ask but I expect we'd need to take 30pcs and the landed cost at a guess would be about $250AUD (give or take $50).

The steerer is an alloy 1 1/8 standard sized job. Rake I am not sure but at a guess 43mm which is the standard rake on all the PL road forks.

Maybe a good group-buy project for the future, don't think there would be enough demand at the moment though?
Sounds good to me :D

I guess the issue is at the moment, there is NO road compatible disc fork available OTS (at a reasonable price - see Woundup).

I'd be in it at that price, and if you advertise via your site, maybe you'd get the required interest, as the only commonly available ones are for MTB and some of them are ridiculously heavy (> 1kg).

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Jacobite wrote:Do you expect the BB7's to bolt on and align ok, or is it common to need spacers and different brackets for such a conversion?
The bracket should come with the disc brake you buy as a set (brake, disc, brackets).

You only need to get another bracket if you choose to run another disc size to the brake you bought.

Eg:
I bought a 185mm brake, but I wanted to fit it to a 160mm rotor I bought later. So when I did this I bought a 160mm IS_to_post_mount bracket. The post mount is the standard mount for Avid BB7. Everything else needs some sort of bracket. The below video from Avid might help.

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:42 pm

So, going from the above statements, I'll need to get another bracket ?

Going by the picture on Wiggle of the calipers ;

And from the fork I bought ;

It seems like they match ???? Or have I missed the point completely ?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:So, going from the above statements, I'll need to get another bracket?

It seems like they match ???? Or have I missed the point completely ?
I knew that would sound confusing so I kind of said it twice in different ways. Sorry for the confusion.

Unless you are fitting a disc of different size to the BB7 brake set you bought, you won't need a separate bracket. The correct disc, bracket and the generic size brake should come together in the box.

Both your picture of the brake bracket and fork disc mounting point are IS (International Standard 51mm). The bracket comes in the box.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks Nobody, that makes sense.

I've got my new front disc wheel and bb7 on order, the bb7 has been getting some very impressive reviews online, should have them this week, but as mentioned its not easy finding a road fork with disc mounts with road type length and weight, without changing the aesthetics of the bike dramatically.

I'm toying with the idea of an XACD ti fork, sure it will cost more, but it will last and be spec'd exactly the way I want.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:40 am

Jacobite wrote:Thanks Nobody, that makes sense.

I've got my new front disc wheel and bb7 on order, the bb7 has been getting some very impressive reviews online, should have them this week, but as mentioned its not easy finding a road fork with disc mounts with road type length and weight, without changing the aesthetics of the bike dramatically.

I'm toying with the idea of an XACD ti fork, sure it will cost more, but it will last and be spec'd exactly the way I want.
+1. Phew.

Re the Ti fork - Cooperplace got a Ti fork with his XACD frame, and by all accounts is happy with it. Had some fun with getting the caliper aligned, but in the end it was no drama.

If you go with a Ti fork, I'd be interested in the details and report, as this may be the option instead of the woundup fork.

Now if we could only get jacks1071 organised to pester Pro-Lite to make a batch of the forks (and possibly sell a "complete conversion kit" ) with fork, headset, wheel & caliper, we'd be laughing !!!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:02 pm

Take a look at US online bike stores they have some generic carbon disc forks, but again stock is an issue. Nashbar, Universal...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 am

Just got an email from Wiggle re the BB7 :twisted:

We're very sorry but we cannot supply you with Avid Ball Bearing 7 Road Disc Brake With 160mm Rotor Platinum Front/Rear. Our suppliers told us we could have more but they have now run out without telling us. To make up for mucking you around, here's a wiggle Gift Voucher which you can use towards the cost of an alternative product. Voucher ID 899f6c-ef6005 Amount £4.01.

The Avid Ball Bearing 7 Road Disc Brake With 160mm Rotor Platinum Front/Rear has been cancelled from your order. Please make a new order for an alternative product online.

Not happy Jan. Now I have to pay more to get it, as the shipping costs will be added to the order :twisted:

Will send them a reply, and see what happens ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 am

Jacobite wrote:Take a look at US online bike stores they have some generic carbon disc forks, but again stock is an issue. Nashbar, Universal...
There are forks available, just not in the required axle-crown length.... :cry:

Unless you know of some ?

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 pm

MichaelB wrote:Just got an email from Wiggle re the BB7 :twisted:

We're very sorry but we cannot supply you with Avid Ball Bearing 7 Road Disc Brake With 160mm Rotor Platinum Front/Rear. Our suppliers told us we could have more but they have now run out without telling us. To make up for mucking you around, here's a wiggle Gift Voucher which you can use towards the cost of an alternative product. Voucher ID 899f6c-ef6005 Amount £4.01.

The Avid Ball Bearing 7 Road Disc Brake With 160mm Rotor Platinum Front/Rear has been cancelled from your order. Please make a new order for an alternative product online.

Not happy Jan. Now I have to pay more to get it, as the shipping costs will be added to the order :twisted:

Will send them a reply, and see what happens ....

Hi Michael,

c r c is showing them as being in stock, but of course you'll have to pay for shipping:

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=31348

As has been covered here before, my experience with the BB7 is great. Fantastic. It gives 1-finger powerful stopping, even wet. Very easy to modulate. I absolutely love it.

But: it was a PITA to set up, as (also covered here) I couldn't get it aligned. Eventually a forum user gave me excellent advice (shims) and now it's great.

If I'd seen that fork I might not have bothered with Ti........

Good luck,

Peter.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 pm

I've gone an orderd the same Mosso fork as well, if that doesnt work to well I'll on-sell it and 'fork' out for an XACD Ti - but at $350USD delivered it aint cheap, so i'm hoping the Mosso will suit!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 am

Jacobite wrote:I've gone an orderd the same Mosso fork as well, if that doesnt work to well I'll on-sell it and 'fork' out for an XACD Ti - but at $350USD delivered it aint cheap, so i'm hoping the Mosso will suit!
It's gone up !! I was quoted USD$240, but I guess buy the time you add delivery, bank fees etc, it adds up quick.

(AT) Cooperplace - great to hear yours is going well - you're the original inspiration actually :D

Waiting on further response from Wiggle, otherwise will order the BB7 from eBay.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 am

Can I be a spanner chucker at this late stage and suggest at least making a calculation on the potential sale price of the current bike and the purchase price of a Salsa Vaya.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:11 am

MountGower wrote:Can I be a spanner chucker at this late stage and suggest at least making a calculation on the potential sale price of the current bike and the purchase price of a Salsa Vaya.
Yes, and thought about that with the Kona Honky Inc priced at $2299.

But then I'd have to get rid of the Argon18, and save up some more money.

The key is there is nothing wrong with the Argon18 and having just clicked over 13,000km, it will last for a while yet.

The Vaya seems to me oriented towards touring (also, spec is 9sp Tiagra and BB5 brakes, vs 105 10sp and BB7 for the Kona), so the [urlhttp://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=honky_inc]2011 Kona[/url] would be a better fit methinks.

Might still go that way, as the whole project can easily be reversed without issue/damage to the existing bike.

Besides, where would the fun be if I took out the tinkering ... :wink:
Last edited by MichaelB on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:19 am

Well, bought the BB7 setup last night on eBay (A$96.90 delivered) as wasn't holding out much hope from Wiggle. It comes with the G2 rotor, but have some Roundagons coming from a forum member as spares/backup.

This morning, got their reply ;

Thank you for your email.

I am afraid the we no longer have any of the Avid Ball Bearing 7 Road Disc Brake With 160mm Rotor in stock and the line has been discontinued. I cannot offer an alternative road disc brake as we can only provide the products that are listed on our website.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

:x Not happy Jan !! :x Oh, and A$7.03 discount voucher for the hassle :roll:

So, another $25 extra out of pocket, but theoretically on the way.

But is the underlying Q - is Avid going to keep making it, or is it just the distributors not stocking it due to poor aftermarket sales ? My money is on the latter.

Spokes have been ordered, and should be on their way soon. Headset has not yet turned up :?

I'm getting itchy as I want to strat building it all up.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:45 am

MichaelB wrote:But is the underlying Q - is Avid going to keep making it, or is it just the distributors not stocking it due to poor aftermarket sales ? My money is on the latter.
I'd be surprised if they stop making them since many commuter bikes come standard with them. In future, many 'cross bike will also likely have them now the UCI rules have changed. It would leave too much of an opening for Shimano to step into the gap with a good road-cable or hydro-STI setup. I think the market is expanding for road style discs.