Adding a front disc to a road bike !! And Now Hydro!

Crawf

Re: Adding a front disc to a road bike !! DONE - see p5

Postby Crawf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Haven't been riding it too much, waiting on new 25mm stans rim tape and bigger tubes.
Stupidly reused some old rim tape which kept moving around while mounting tyres, leaving the spoke holes exposed puncturing my tubes. Grrr!
I'm going to try tubeless with the budget tyres pictured, they are damn tight.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:41 am

I'm disappointed that this thread is slipping down the list. Should I add some spice:

the only people who think that discs are NOT the way of the future are nitwits.

Will that do it?
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:45 am

cooperplace wrote:I'm disappointed that this thread is slipping down the list. Should I add some spice:

the only people who think that discs are NOT the way of the future are nitwits.

Will that do it?
Maybe.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:02 am

Ironic bump - I'd prefer this thread wasn't just pushed up for the sake of it.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Crawf wrote:
MichaelB wrote: What was it like to get the tyres on and off due to the rim profile (Stans tubeless) ?

What were the hubs/rims like to build up with ?

Did you use double butted spokes ? I am assuming 32 with 3x ?

Looking fwd to hearing a ride report on whether you feel any differences. :)
A pr**k! Probably the hardest tyres i've ever mounted and they're floppy 32's, my tubeless road setup was way easier to mount. Will have to see how they go roadside :shock:
No Issues with the build up at all, used laser spokes (2.0-1.5-2.0), brass nipples, 32hx3 all round. Freewheel has a nice quick zzzzz to it, not too loud.
I was really surprised at how they roll, they're noticeably smoother but i'm not expert enough to distinguish whether its the better bearings or less rotational weight - probably both actually!
I still have my Stans Crest Rims hanging up in the garage. I have not tried to fit the 30mm Cyclocross Tyres they came with yet. I am yet to find an example of anyone (except maybe Stan himself!) than has been able to fit a tyre to a ZTR rim without any effort. For commuting I just couldn't handle the thought of a 90 minute tube repair on the side of the road. However, I am looking forward to trying my bike offroad with the ZTR Rims, just as soon as I can can find the time, and also get another pair of Brake Rotors for the wheelset.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:23 pm

queequeg wrote: .... and also get another pair of Brake Rotors for the wheelset.
I may be able to help there ... have a couple of NIB Roundagon 160mm available for SFA

Hangdog98

Postby Hangdog98 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:40 pm

MattyK wrote:Ironic bump - I'd prefer this thread wasn't just pushed up for the sake of it.
I don't see the irony :?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:45 am

No ironic bump, but reported in a Yank thread that someone has won a National level Cyclocross race riding a Cannondale disc bike !!

OH NO !!! The world is about to end !!!!

The thin end of the wedge is now firmly inserted and the world will crack.

On a side note, rode to work this morning via Mt Osmond, and on the descent, reached a peak of 72 km/hr, and braking for the hairpin sign posted at 15 km/hr heading downhill was a 2 finger fuss free application. [sigh]

I love my discs :D

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:No ironic bump, but reported in a Yank thread that someone has won a National level Cyclocross race riding a Cannondale disc bike !!

, reached a peak of 72 km/hr, and braking for the hairpin sign posted at 15 km/hr heading downhill was a 2 finger fuss free application. [sigh]

I love my discs :D

yes!!!!!! try that with your standard caliper brakes.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm

cooperplace wrote:yes!!!!!! try that with your standard caliper brakes.
Errr... You don't need discs to ride down mountains. Ask a TdF rider. They do it at 100kph.

:mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:58 pm

rkelsen wrote:
cooperplace wrote:yes!!!!!! try that with your standard caliper brakes.
Errr... You don't need discs to ride down mountains. Ask a TdF rider. They do it at 100kph.

:mrgreen:
No you don't, but what does that have to do with anything ?

Then again, I seem to remember a certain Australian cyclist who upon cresting a mountain in the wet and then starting a descent lost some time, as he 'had no confidence in his braking due to the wet weather' and talking about unpredicatbility. 2010 Giro from what I remember. If he had disks, wouldn't have had an issue.

After over 8,000km now on a disc equipped road bike (one bodge and one proper), I wouldn't be doing anything but discs for ANY future road bike that I buy. Even the Cinelli may get a front disc when a road fork (such as from SJS on p22) gets to be a better price.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 pm

MichaelB wrote:On a side note, rode to work this morning via Mt Osmond, and on the descent, reached a peak of 72 km/hr, and braking for the hairpin sign posted at 15 km/hr heading downhill was a 2 finger fuss free application. [sigh]
was this braking from the hoods or the drops?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 pm

eeksll wrote:
MichaelB wrote:On a side note, rode to work this morning via Mt Osmond, and on the descent, reached a peak of 72 km/hr, and braking for the hairpin sign posted at 15 km/hr heading downhill was a 2 finger fuss free application. [sigh]
was this braking from the hoods or the drops?
On this occasion it was the drops. I was in the drops more because of the wind (strong cross winds) more than anything else.

But often have the same level of control/modulation in the drops or hoods.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:03 am

Do you ever feel like your hands are going to slide off the top of the hoods when braking hard? I get that feeling on rim brakes sometimes

Hangdog98

Postby Hangdog98 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:34 am

eeksll wrote:Do you ever feel like your hands are going to slide off the top of the hoods when braking hard? I get that feeling on rim brakes sometimes
The first time I road my roadie with discs my hands did slide off the hoods and I rolled along with my elbows controlling the bike until I gathered myself back and I regained control. It was scary. From that moment I learned to to gently graze the levers until my brain adjusted. I remember angling my levers up a bit to provide more grip. I used Modolo Morphos shifters which were a bit too straight for the job. The big knob on the Shimano levers is probably better.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:01 am

eeksll wrote:Do you ever feel like your hands are going to slide off the top of the hoods when braking hard? I get that feeling on rim brakes sometimes
Nope, but then I have my levers sitting up a bit. I can see the type of issue that you mention with the levers that Hangdog98 uses or when the levers are set pretty flat.

Had to do some pretty quick stops from the hoods, but haven't had that issue yet.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:24 pm

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 4&start=60

Interestuing to see the same old myths and misconceptions about discs come up in the above WW forum thread about the new DA when discs are mentioned :roll:

Same boring uneducated (except a few) "thoughts" without any practical experience .... [sigh]

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 pm

I fly out tomorrow to the US and am bringing back a Volagi Liscio. Keen to find out what sort of difference these discs make!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:50 am

Crittski wrote:I fly out tomorrow to the US and am bringing back a Volagi Liscio. Keen to find out what sort of difference these discs make!
Safe flight and plenty of pics please.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Once bedded in, you'll realise what those that have ridden them have been saying. And then comes the first ride in the wet !!

You'll wonder why it took so long !!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:21 am

Crittski wrote:I fly out tomorrow to the US and am bringing back a Volagi Liscio. Keen to find out what sort of difference these discs make!
Might want to dirty it up before coming back, might attract attention from custom$

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Crawf wrote:
Might want to dirty it up before coming back, might attract attention from custom$
AQIS will charge you to clean it - around $90 per hour - http://www.australia-migration.com/page ... _Goods/227
Make sure all used cars and tyres, garden tools, outdoor furniture, lawn mowers, bicycles, sporting equipment, shoes and boots are free of soil and seed contaminants, and empty vacuum cleaner bags. Items with soil attached will be cleaned at your expense.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:43 pm

:roll: Yes, not covered in mud obviously, but some signs to show that it's not fresh out a box.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:31 pm

easier just to provide the receipt that proves it's worth exactly $990. Honest, guv.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:31 pm

Scrounge a pair of second hand tyres from an LBS and fit them before you return :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:43 am

all good ideas, thanks guys. I struggle to leave any dirt on my MTB, so won't be at risk of having mud on this bike!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra